White Diamond revealed! - single sheet DTFB flier

JGplanes

I had the prototype for this plane at FFE'17, and had several interesting comments on it. I'm just about to release the full plans and my first build video. I was so excited about how well the final version turned out, I had to do a teaser. Wish me the best, and let me know if it something you're interested in building.

JG

evranch

Looks like a neat design, and fun to fly. Tracks really nice. Also looks like a fairly quick build, not too much cutting and folding. Will be interesting to see your plans.

JGplanes

Quick update: The plans/parts are done! I'm working on the build video, but it's slow going. I hope to have it done in a week or so. I'd like to do a YouTube collaboration on the release video, but I need to reach out to a flying buddy in the area. Right now it's raining... good time for video editing. :)

JG

JGplanes

Update: Build video is done and is uploading to youtube now...slowly. I will probably share it with a few people as a test, and then release the plans and video later in the week.

PS... My son and I flew this with a micro FPV camera on it for the first time tonight. His words, "Awesome!"

JGplanes

Update: Plans have been uploaded to FT website as a resource, and are awaiting approval. The build video will be released on my youtube channel as soon as the plans are approved.

Designing is fun, but producing plans, a build video, and making sure everything is right is a long journey. I have a lot more respect for all FT and some of you others do now. Please wish me the best for the release, and I hope you all get to have some fun with it!

JGplanes -----+}-

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Nice. Two things jump out: (1) it looks like it flies real good; and (2) it will fit in a suitcase 😎 The latter is particularly important.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Ha! Never crossed my mind. Travel much?

In the past quite a lot. But I was thinking Flite Fest specific. I will be traveling by air and I'm planning my airplane strategy.

In Texas, I took a prefabbed Goblin and built a Kraken that I was able to sell, but I really don't want to build this time. The Goblin was a good choice, as it's a little bomb with a big battery and can handle the wind quite well.

I will probably prefab a Mini Mustang to go along with another Goblin. However, when I saw your White Diamond, it was immediately apparent that its compactness combined with good flying was very attractive.

jfaleo1

Well here is my rendition. I liked this design from the start for it's simplicity and ability to travel potentially. If I can find a way to take it along in a couple weeks to Columbus,OH I will.
Anyway....
I added a "canopy" over the battery, and used two verticals one to either side of the thrust tube

Spectrum 4 channel receiver, 20 amp ESC out of my Rare Bear funfighter, Dr. Mad Thrust (Hobbyking) 50mm EDF (3s version), 2 ea- 5g servos (HXT500 from Hobby King), and one China Hobby Line 1000ma 3s battery, all up weight 250 grams. quick glide and powered minimal test in back yard yields a pretty good flier, may be a bit nose heavy right now with EDF just aft of CG and everything else but the servos ahead. Elevons just slightly down but not as far as the plans show. It is quick and a bit twitchy but I think it will be a blast.

I was going to take it out real quick today but t-storms on the way so it will wait a couple days. I will try to get video when I take it out to the field.

Hope you approve JG.

Jeff
IMG_4155.jpg
IMG_4156.jpg
IMG_4157.jpg
IMG_4155.jpg

jfaleo1

I managed to get in a couple flights this evening. I will post video later, but it flew well over all, I may need to adjust something or just live with constant re-trimming, it climbs under power and roll changes under power too. also I intend to stiffen up the pushrods, either larger or just tube and support, they are flexing at speed I think. It is fast and a bit twitchy but fun. Oh one last thing I may add another set of vertical surfaces possibly at the tips, with no prop a hard reversal (read that I yanked it around too fast) caused a stall and flat spin, no damage but still.

If you were thinking about building on of these I would recommend it highly.

Jeff

JGplanes

Sorry for the slow response. I was counseling at youth camp last week.

Hope you approve JG.

I totally approve! That's awesome. I was thinking of doing something similar myself, but not enough time.

Couple things of note...
1. With an EDF and thrust tube you probably don't have the negative reflex working in your favor. With the prop slot the airflow is pushing the nose down as it hits the elevons, therefore adding pitch stability for a nearly unstable design. I haven't thought of a way to compensate for this myself, but I'd be interested in how your's flies.
2. I highly recommend good quality digital servos for this. I had a lot of trouble with the cheaper ones not having a good enough resolution.
3. Since your control rods aren't going through the wing, you may need to secure them. If the wires aren't stiff enough, you'll have issues. (I assume you already know that with your level of build.)

Any chance you'll be at FF Ohio? Maybe we could fly together?

JG

jfaleo1

Couple things of note...
1. With an EDF and thrust tube you probably don't have the negative reflex working in your favor. With the prop slot the airflow is pushing the nose down as it hits the elevons, therefore adding pitch stability for a nearly unstable design. I haven't thought of a way to compensate for this myself, but I'd be interested in how your's flies.
2. I highly recommend good quality digital servos for this. I had a lot of trouble with the cheaper ones not having a good enough resolution.
3. Since your control rods aren't going through the wing, you may need to secure them. If the wires aren't stiff enough, you'll have issues. (I assume you already know that with your level of build.)
Any chance you'll be at FF Ohio? Maybe we could fly together?

Stability is neutral a best and the lack of a prop does make it worse, that said it is fun. You're right about the reflex and prop altering the flight characteristics. Looks really cool coming at you though like a really mean straighter from a sci-fi show. Flat spin from the high speeds stall was wicked and happened so fast it was crazy. Thinking of adding a set of "vertical" surfaces at the tips making a "V" of sorts and also using them to support the pushrods, still thinking on that.

Servos are not bad for cheap but you may be right.

Yes pushrods are too light and I intend to beef them up either with heavier rods or with supports.

I will be in Columbus for a couple weeks Starting July 7, but doubt I will make it since it is work trip.
Thanks for the thought though.

All that said I am thinking of a slightly larger version with 2 50mm EDFs just to see how fast I could make it go. Like I need another project...

Jeff