White gorilla glue

M

MCNC

For those that use white gorilla glue. Do you add moisture? I build in a humidity controled area, so I do usually moisten my finger and drag it along the opposing surface before adding glue. I get varying degrees of expansion, sometimes alot, more than the 3x predicted. expecially out of unclamped edges. What is your techniques? I try to be conservative with the glue but sometimes I guess too much applied, never had a glue joint failure during my many crashes

Keno

surprisingly it needs very little moister. I live in a low humidity area and I seldom apply any moisture unless I need the expansion to close a large area, such as gluing in landing gear in cutout slots.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use the brown polyurethane glue for wing spars. I always apply moisture. As it foams, it will grow fingers into the foam, distributing the load to a wider area. Glue adds weight, so I try to minimize the amount used.

M

MCNC

ok so the brown poly is like the original gorilla glue. I should have done a test to begin with, 1 no moisture, 2 moisture, 3, breathe hard on it and check the diff.

Keno

ok so the brown poly is like the original gorilla glue. I should have done a test to begin with, 1 no moisture, 2 moisture, 3, breathe hard on it and check the diff.
That is a good idea. Note my experience is that the original (brown) is will foam a little more than the white. Gorilla Clear does not foam and I use it to laminate material. I do breath on the brow and white it if I think it needs it and it I really want it foam up I spray it with a mist of water. For what it worth happy building.

PoorManRC

Master member
I use the White Gorilla Glue often, and live in a Desert...
I lightly mist the area with 50/50 water/alcohol (sometimes more water), with pretty good results.

M

MCNC

Build room is air conditioned with temp set at 76 F in the muggy south. sorry no humidity measurement. 3 simple non scientific tests. 1/2 square foam pieces faces glued, pressed with slight finger pressure but not clamped. No moisture, breathed on, damp finger touched oposit face. Some glue expansion occurred on all pieces, no moisture and breathed on, too close to call different, moisture from finger touch definitely a significant difference. In my environment I think I will stop adding moisture. Thanks for the input.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Build room is air conditioned with temp set at 76 F in the muggy south. sorry no humidity measurement. 3 simple non scientific tests. 1/2 square foam pieces faces glued, pressed with slight finger pressure but not clamped. No moisture, breathed on, damp finger touched oposit face. Some glue expansion occurred on all pieces, no moisture and breathed on, too close to call different, moisture from finger touch definitely a significant difference. In my environment I think I will stop adding moisture. Thanks for the input.
I always clamp, if I don’t, as the glue foams, it will push the parts apart. No need to use a lot of pressure, just enough to prevent spreading.

M

MCNC

Thank you. I do clamp, tape, pin, hot glue or book-weigtht all my real joints. This test was just an expansion curiosity to see if I needed to continue applying moisture on all joints.