Who Can Make the Plane With the Longest Wingspan? (24hr. build challenge for FT)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I was watching some of the FT videos from a while back, and found that some of my favorites were 24 hour build challenges (chair plane, little tikes plane, flying mailbox), so I was thinking of other potential 24 hour builds that would make for some fun content. One that came to mind was a challenge with a few rules:

(edited)
  • The plane with the longest wingspan wins (measured after flight)
  • One T-motor (or monster motor if they don't have the T-motors anymore) for power
  • With the exception of the firewall and control horns, normal thickness foam board, hot glue, and tape are the only materials allowed
  • In the event of a tie, the winner is decided by combat
  • 24 hours (of course) to build you monstrosity

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
You might have to define what constitutes a 'wing' and how wingspan is measured.
A thin carbon rod sticking out of each wing tip could easily double the 'span' with little structural penalty.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
You might have to define what constitutes a 'wing' and how wingspan is measured.
A thin carbon rod sticking out of each wing tip could easily double the 'span' with little structural penalty.
Everything would have to be foam board, so trying something like that may not work as well. Just in case, it should be measured after the flight, just incase the wing gains some unintended dihedral ;)

Piotrsko

Master member
You all should ponder the rules a lot more before you post because you all leave holes that someone like me can drive a triple 40 foot trailer rig through sideways. @quorneng got one right away.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
You all should ponder the rules a lot more before you post because you all leave holes that someone like me can drive a triple 40 foot trailer rig through sideways. @quorneng got one right away.
Yup, I'll be updating the rules to only what materials can be used, and when everything's measured.