Who else has broken their Rotor Bones in a crash? How did you do it?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Yes, it finally happened.

I've been abusing the heck out of these landing gear/motor mounts.

Well, today I decided I would have fun landing on a metal roof near the top, and slide down, fall off, and power back up before hitting the ground. Two out of three times this worked great. (And only on the first one, did I get it on video, darn it!)

481440_10200758288213346_1379611874_n.jpg
579348_10200758288693358_1403965054_n.jpg

So I got it home, and set it on the bench to see what I had to do to fix it.

971208_10200758287213321_874346652_n.jpg

I removed the side plates that were still on the arm. Then I laid out the pieces to see what I left behind...

954889_10200758289493378_2014601823_n.jpg

I had some spare parts on hand, so the rebuild was extremely easy. It literally snapped into place. I hooked the side plates onto the center plate, laid the side plates over the tabs on the top and bottom plate, and squeezed. Snap, and Snap, it was back together. I could have done this in the field had I brought spare parts with me.

971899_10200758286933314_466881746_n.jpg

All in all, I'm very pleased.

So, what damage have you earned, and how did you do it?

Liemavick

Mentor
Sounds like your bored already with your tri. Send it to me please and Ill break it the rest of the way :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Sounds like your bored already with your tri. Send it to me please and Ill break it the rest of the way :)

Wrong! I love this thing.

I can't believe how well it flies.

Maybe I'll edit up and post the video of me swooping between trees from earlier today.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
DAF, my awesome FT Cruiser is still sitting in it's box, because I'm can't find the ambition to start it. I have a brand new EFlite Taylorcraft in the box, it's been that way for over five years now. It's practically a time capsule...

Not to mention a pile of other craft I might get to one of these days.

That just goes to show how easy to work with, and how fun to play with this multi-rotor system is.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You need to fix your workbench...

I plan to use my tricopter (with FT parts very soon) for bashing around and FPV practice, and the much more expensive better quadcopter I'm going to build for when I get better less awful at flying.

I have very good hopes that the FT tilt system will be a great upgrade to my tricopter. Previously I broke the yaw mech every time I crashed landed hard.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I've crashed, landed hard, landed sideways, upside down, and occasionally right side up. The tilt system is holding up just fine.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes, it finally happened.

I've been abusing the heck out of these landing gear/motor mounts.

Well, today I decided I would have fun landing on a metal roof near the top, and slide down, fall off, and power back up before hitting the ground.

You're learning well from the Flitetest team. Just remember, they have plenty of extra frames and parts from us sending them money.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Who sent them money?

I've bought some stuff from them through their store, but as far as I know, they haven't opened any sort of donation channels yet.

Liemavick

Mentor
Question, Do you guys buy your wood booms from a hardware store (Home depot) or hobby store> The build video David put together he is using 12mm booms and I like his reasoning behind it. Just wondering where I can buy the wood from. I know FT has the shorter ones in the store, but Im going to duplicate Davids build.

Thanks!