Who going to Flite Fest West?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I've uploaded a first cut example to my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2tlHw8sattJWFUyUVgxcmtPZ0U/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if you have any issues with the file. :)

Here's what it should look like. Thoughts?

FT tag M7-1.png

FT tag M7-2.png

Special thanks to SP0NZ for publishing his Pietenpol engine with the FliteTest wording on it. :)

NTTD

I've uploaded a first cut example to my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2tlHw8sattJWFUyUVgxcmtPZ0U/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if you have any issues with the file. :)...

Special thanks to SP0NZ for publishing his Pietenpol engine with the FliteTest wording on it. :)

How about this?
20170406_223042_quarter.jpg

I did a low resolution "quick" print and it looks pretty good. The reverse side (bottom) didn't come out too well, but I will re-print with higher detail and this should come out better.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That looks awesome! I agree, a higher detail run would be better ...some of the details under the gremlin are lost, and the "F" and "L" kinda run together, but not bad at all for a quick print!

NTTD

This is about as good as it's going to get at this size:
20170407_221701.jpg

We're dealing with some small detail here the distance between the "l" and "i" is about 0.5mm.

Also black does not show detail that well, I'm gonna try with white and/or blue. I'll post pics when I get those done.

NTTD

No, worse. The letters were fine but the background is a mess, I'm trying printing it on edge, this should make each side equal resolution.

NTTD

OK the one printed on edge came out much more balanced and better overall. Also the resolution is higher in the vertical orientation, so the Gremlin detail looks much better.

The only real issue I see now is that it's a bit too thin between the two sides, I'm getting holes around the letters.

If you could bump that thickness up a bit, I think we could have a nice product!

I'm gonna set one to print in white and go crash, I'll take some more pics in the morning and post them.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
OK the one printed on edge came out much more balanced and better overall. Also the resolution is higher in the vertical orientation, so the Gremlin detail looks much better.

The only real issue I see now is that it's a bit too thin between the two sides, I'm getting holes around the letters.

If you could bump that thickness up a bit, I think we could have a nice product!

I'm gonna set one to print in white and go crash, I'll take some more pics in the morning and post them.

Sounds good.

A thought: if you're printing it on edge now, couldn't you print it as one piece again? I'll bump up the thickness and resend a few versions for you to pick from.

NTTD

I have only printed them as one piece, I just wasn't taking pics of the backs.

The white one I set to print last night came out real nice.

I tried coloring it with a black marker like I did with the silver marker on the black print, but it kind of ruined it. The ink just sort of wicked into the plastic making it look kind of terrible.

20170408_113308.jpg
Around the "2017" you can see the word "test" from the other side, it's as if it's embossed from this side.

My theory of it being too thin is just a guess, I'm still a novice to this printing thing. :D

I'll get a pic of the blue one posted as soon as it comes off the printer.
20170408_113534.jpg

On my next print i'm going to try turning down the extruder temp a bit, that may help.

NTTD

Sounds good.

A thought: if you're printing it on edge now, couldn't you print it as one piece again? I'll bump up the thickness and resend a few versions for you to pick from.

I know very little about CAD software at the moment so sorry if this is a noob question. It is possible that to create the letters you pushed out the background instead of building letters onto the background?

It seems to be printing pretty good now but the print comes out like the text on either side was embossed from the back.

NTTD

Finally figured it out, it was the slicer program I was using. As soon as I switched and did another print it did fine. For some reason it didn't like this model.

20170408_180715.jpg 20170408_180727.jpg

It still struggles a bit with the curves toward the bottom of the print, but overall looking pretty good!

Tech3811

By the way, where and when is FlightFestWest taking place? I would love to come and fly around! It has always been my dream to come to the original one, but it has never worked out. I can't wait!!!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
By the way, where and when is FlightFestWest taking place? I would love to come and fly around! It has always been my dream to come to the original one, but it has never worked out. I can't wait!!!
FT hasn't had an FF West since the one in 2017. They are having trouble finding a good spot, I just hope that they are still looking since there has to be at least a few good places in the whole west.