Who STILL flys 72 mhz?

mdcerdan

Elite member
Indeed, the little ArtTech 4ch pcb board looks like Michelangelo himself made the soldering compared to the Turnigy 9X I just sold.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Inmho all that is showing someone cant set up their system correctly. The only thing I have used on my 2.4 tx is the elevon mixer, but I know how to do THAT mechanical too.

You can set up rates in a 72 mhz radio, so you can flip a switch and go between high and low rates? That seems like a big reason for someone to make the switch...And you can switch between different models relatively easy with the same transmitter with the newer systems.
Why dont we just show our old stuff? Everyone has its own opinion on 72 vs 2.4 and no one is right or wrong.

I'll say that my old 72 mhz radio would, in no way whatsoever, work for the way I fly TODAY.

Why?

Several reasons, actually. I don't have any way to get new 72 mhz receivers or crystals for my foamies. Also, the 4 channel 72 mhz radio I have does NOT have computerized functionality. Therefore, I CANNOT set up elevons or flaps, I cannot set up flight for a quadcopter, and I cannot configure a throttle kill switch for my electric planes, as I don't have any way to program it into that specific radio.

But, if YOU find that YOUR radio works for YOUR needs, keep using it. I'm not gonna bash on your use of 72 mhz; it's just older and different from what *I* know. As long as it doesn't interfere with my flying, I'm good with whatever you're using - just don't ask for my help on troubleshooting it because I'll be honest, i'm gonna be stone stupid (aka dumb as a rock) on the 72 mhz radios. :)

Oh, and just for fun, my father used to have a 2 channel balsa sailplane that he built from the late 70's/early 80's (I have NO idea what happened to it; I kinda wish it was still around, but likely it ended up in a trash can after he decided it wasn't worth his time), and he flew it with a Kraft radio, because Kraft was manufacturing them in Vista, CA (coincidentally, where I live now - and apparently, Phil Kraft was a member of Palomar RC Flyers at one time).

I gotta be honest, though - I would NOT want to try to fly with one of those old Kraft radios anymore. No, not because it's 72 mhz, but because the things were flippin' HEAVY, as I remember, compared to the newer 2.4 Ghz radios that can tell you how high your plane is, what speed you're flying at - even turn your lights on and off at home while playing a tune.

It all gets down to functionality, ease of use, AND what you're comfortable with.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hEY GUYS...
i have an opportunity to purchase 2x JR X2610 radio's.. 35mhz... & 3 receivers, with a trainer cord... along with a charger for the tx's. all for R1500 ($100) , i could probably beat the price down to R1200 ($80), if i pay for courier..what do you think? good deal? apparently jr, is a pretty good brand of tx...

Bricks

Master member
hEY GUYS...
i have an opportunity to purchase 2x JR X2610 radio's.. 35mhz... & 3 receivers, with a trainer cord... along with a charger for the tx's. all for R1500 ($100) , i could probably beat the price down to R1200 ($80), if i pay for courier..what do you think? good deal? apparently jr, is a pretty good brand of tx...

There are a few that still fly the older radios but in the 4 different clubs in my area nobody uses them.

Here you cannot hardly give away any of the older radios me personally would hardly give $20, I thru away a ton of radios and receivers in the old 35 and 72mhz nobody wanted them.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
There are a few that still fly the older radios but in the 4 different clubs in my area nobody uses them.

Here you cannot hardly give away any of the older radios me personally would hardly give $20, I thru away a ton of radios and receivers in the old 35 and 72mhz nobody wanted them.
it seems like the older gear is just a little more popular here in sa.... and i don't care whether it is 35, or 2.4... as long as it works, i'm happy

Bricks

Master member
it seems like the older gear is just a little more popular here in sa.... and i don't care whether it is 35, or 2.4... as long as it works, i'm happy

I sure as heck would not pay that price when you consider you can get multiprotocol radio for not much more, such as the Radiomaster TX16s. Have 16 channels any recievers you can find cheap, multiple models not having to change crystals or change radios to match the plane. I am a Spektrum guy but also own a Radiomaster TX16S.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I sure as heck would not pay that price when you consider you can get multiprotocol radio for not much more, such as the Radiomaster TX16s. Have 16 channels any recievers you can find cheap, multiple models not having to change crystals or change radios to match the plane. I am a Spektrum guy but also own a Radiomaster TX16S.
true... but this is not 1 radio... it is 2 radios, with a trainer cord , and 3 receivers

Turbojoe

Elite member
I'm finally getting around to opening some built aircraft packing boxes from the move in February and forgot just how many really GOOD 72mhz TX's and RX's I have. My Futaba 9C with the synthesized module can do any 72mhz frequency AND I have the Spektrum module for it as well so it can do 2.4ghz too. I also have a Hitec Eclipse 7 PRO that is on 2.4ghz (Hitec) and a Hitec Eclipse 7 that does 72mhz OR 2.4ghz depending on module installed (I have both). These older TX's DON'T have to go in the trash or be sold for peanuts. They can be useful for many, many years. As I dig out more and more older builds I'll find Hitec Electron 6 RX's in most of them. I won't hesitate to fly them 72mhz. Never had a problem with the Electron 6's for many years before 2.4ghz and don't expect to in the future. Will be even less trouble now that all the sheeple have "updated" to 2.4 ghz and 72mhz is now free air to us. I turn on my frequency scanner from time to time in various areas around me and NOTHING shows on the scan!

Don't get me wrong. My favorite TX is my Spektrum DX-6 and DX-6e mainly because of the feel in my hands but my 72mhz equipment will continue to see service for many years to come.

As it is I have zero need for more than 6 channels (and if I do I'll use the Futaba 9C) so I can't even fathom paying $500.00+ or even more for an 8+ channel 2.4 TX just to try to impress others when used on a 4 channel plane. Try to tell me you don't see this A LOT! As P.T Barnum once said "a fool and their money are soon parted"....;)

Joe

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I'm finally getting around to opening some built aircraft packing boxes from the move in February and forgot just how many really GOOD 72mhz TX's and RX's I have. My Futaba 9C with the synthesized module can do any 72mhz frequency AND I have the Spektrum module for it as well so it can do 2.4ghz too. I also have a Hitec Eclipse 7 PRO that is on 2.4ghz (Hitec) and a Hitec Eclipse 7 that does 72mhz OR 2.4ghz depending on module installed (I have both). These older TX's DON'T have to go in the trash or be sold for peanuts. They can be useful for many, many years. As I dig out more and more older builds I'll find Hitec Electron 6 RX's in most of them. I won't hesitate to fly them 72mhz. Never had a problem with the Electron 6's for many years before 2.4ghz and don't expect to in the future. Will be even less trouble now that all the sheeple have "updated" to 2.4 ghz and 72mhz is now free air to us. I turn on my frequency scanner from time to time in various areas around me and NOTHING shows on the scan!

Don't get me wrong. My favorite TX is my Spektrum DX-6 and DX-6e mainly because of the feel in my hands but my 72mhz equipment will continue to see service for many years to come.

As it is I have zero need for more than 6 channels (and if I do I'll use the Futaba 9C) so I can't even fathom paying $500.00+ or even more for an 8+ channel 2.4 TX just to try to impress others when used on a 4 channel plane. Try to tell me you don't see this A LOT! As P.T Barnum once said "a fool and their money are soon parted"....;)

Joe
the first really positive reply to my question... thanks man;)

Turbojoe

Elite member
Absolutely ZERO disrespect to those that live and breath 2.4 ghz but us old farts that have flown 72mhz for many, decades with issues only from morons that would show up and turn on their TX's without first calling out their frequencies thus shooting down planes that were in the air at the time. They usually went home with a black eye, broken jaw or their plane stomped to bits for their stupidity. The chances of that happening today are nill.

72 mhz is so open now that I see it being just as safe as 2.4ghz. Just make certain there is no vibratory metal to metal contact anywhere on board that can cause interference and you're good to go.

In fact I hope to start the build of a Sig Kadet Senior kit soon and it will be flown 72mhz Electron 6 RX with my MUCH loved Futaba 9C TX.

Joe

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Absolutely ZERO disrespect to those that live and breath 2.4 ghz but us old farts that have flown 72mhz for many, decades with issues only from morons that would show up and turn on their TX's without first calling out their frequencies thus shooting down planes that were in the air at the time. They usually went home with a black eye, broken jaw or their plane stomped to bits for their stupidity. The chances of that happening today are nill.

72 mhz is so open now that I see it being just as safe as 2.4ghz. Just make certain there is no vibratory metal to metal contact anywhere on board that can cause interference and you're good to go.

In fact I hope to start the build of a Sig Kadet Senior kit soon and it will be flown 72mhz Electron 6 RX with my MUCH loved Futaba 9C TX.

Joe
I agree. I am the only one at my Field who flies it occasionally.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have an Early Hitec Eclipse 7 PCM and a later Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro 2.4ghz TX that was gifted me. Both need new batteries. I just emailed Hitec asking if the TX were safe with 3S LiPo packs as I have tons that will fit. I also have lots of 16850 Li-Ion round cells that I can use if they say only 2S. I think I have a few Hitec 2.4ghz RX but will probably use the PCM Eclipse 7 with Hitec Electron 6 RX for my next builds because I have so many. Good stuff ...

Joe