Help! Who Will Transmitter-Mentor Me? (DX7; Carbon Cub S+; Carbon Cub SS; V900)

Yoshio

Hey guys,

is there any good tutorial or channel out there that teaches you how to start with a professional transmitter like the "Spektrum DX7", which I just bought on ebay? The tutorials I found on Youtube don't really answer my silly beginner questions, may they be about DX No*whatever.

I started with the Carbon Cub S+ RTF. So here is no problem since it comes with literally everything you need.

But now: I have the e-flite "V900" and going to have the "Carbon Cub SS" and maybe other planes. This is why I ordered the DX7. Don't worry, I will read the manual etc., but I really need someone who tells me how to start with this special science of transmitters.

Thanks in advance, Peter.

Hoomi

Master member
Have you looked into any RC clubs in your area? Most have people who are happy to help new fliers learn their way around all the equipment of RC flying, and it's often easier for someone to talk you through a process, when they're standing right there, to see what you're doing and seeing at that moment.

Online gives up access to huge amounts of information (sometimes, TOO much information, such that it's nearly impossible to sort through it all to find what we actually need), but there is nothing like one-on-one instruction with a knowledgeable teacher.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
We can try to help, but we need to know what specifically you're looking for; also, which DX7 are you working with - is it a grey bodied model with a bendable antenna, or a black bodied model with a fixed antenna?

Yoshio

Have you looked into any RC clubs in your area? Most have people who are happy to help new fliers learn their way around all the equipment of RC flying, and it's often easier for someone to talk you through a process, when they're standing right there, to see what you're doing and seeing at that moment.

Online gives up access to huge amounts of information (sometimes, TOO much information, such that it's nearly impossible to sort through it all to find what we actually need), but there is nothing like one-on-one instruction with a knowledgeable teacher.

I hope there is a club around or or I find someone experienced, but until now my research wasn't fruitful. Funny fact though is that I have found a beautiful airfield just 10 minutes from my home - only by driving around through the fields. Grass on runway is fine, shelter and assembly tables are existent and maintained, but I've never met someone there. There's a sign with the name from a little hotel. I called them several times, but no one picks up, only a corona-announcement on their mailbox.

And you are right: it's hard to find the right info on the internet, that's why I am asking here. I will specify my questions as a reply to "Aireal Anarchist".

Yoshio

if that list of Ytube tutorials wont help ................you are going to have to be more specific with your questions
MY ISSUE: I have a Carbon Cub S+, I have a DX7 and I want to make them work together.

Hey all, I reply to all the nice and helpful answers here, since it was the "Aireal Anarchist" who made an important point:. I wasn't very specific. So let me try.

I think I have the newer, black model of the DX7 , bought it on ebay some days ago, seller said software is updated. But now that I have it, the first thing I noticed is, that the DX7 is not listed in the "optional parts list" for the Carbon Cub S+. I hope it's only because they don't produce/sell them anymore. But: DX7 is not explicitly listed as non compatible device like all the DX(number)e transmitters.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-01 um 14.42.47.png

I was relying on their slogan "ONE TRANSMITTER. ONE FLEET", read the description and thought as a not that old DSMX equipped device it should be ok. What do you think? For the "E-flite V900" (which already arrived, but needs to wait for the maiden flight at least another 2 months :) DX7 is listed as compatible. So I am confused already at this point.

Now, basically this is situation: I have the "Carbon Cub S+ RTF" and want to bind it to the DX7. This is probably not a necessary thing to do as long as you don't want to use flaps. It flies beautifully with the included DXe.

But the reason why I bought the DX7 is: I also want to learn some transmitter magic, install flaps on the Cub S+ soon and will definitely build an E-flite fleet over time.

For the Cub S+ and for now I want that the switches and buttons as similar as possible as on the DXe Transmitter that came with the Cub so I don't get confused when trying it out the first tims. Later it would be great to get start using more of the potential of the DX7. But where to start?

Mja, for now it's only about: Binding

In the Cub's manual there are the instructions (see image below). On the other hand I read that no programming is necessary if you want to bind a DX Transmitter to a new generation e-flite plane. So do I need to make those settings at all? Maybe I don't understand what programming a transmitter actually means.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-01 um 15.13.36.png

In the Horizon Hobby Video below the guy shows a binding process without making any pre-settings. I tried this also - didn't work (maybe left something out). Also I was confused that he said for making the "Safe Select" system work you need to unplug the bind plug right after you plugged the battery into the plane (video at 2:04 minutes). This is but not mentioned in the Carbon Cub S+ manual.

As you can see: I am quite lost. I already have been succesfully through some try and errors and like working myself through new technology, but this overwhelms me right now.

So again in short:
- I have a Carbon Cub S+, I have a DX7 and I want to make them work together. In general I'd like to know if there is a standard pocedure of binding, which pre-settings you do (can I ignore a plane's manual binding advice?), if you have a transmitter-model-routine or what the most important adjustments are that you operate as soon as you are bound.

Thanks for reading this long specisifcation oof my question. Believe me, I could already write a novel about everything I went throught during the past week and tried to limit it to the necessary information ;) . So, even more thanks for your answers :)

Have a great weekend guys!

Here are pics of today. Was pretty rainy and windy, so I better don't show any landing pictures ;)

Cub_Today.jpeg
Cub_Today2.jpeg

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
First things first -

What happens when you try to bind? What does it say when you try binding - Bind Failed?

You should have the bind plug plugged in to the Bind slot, then plug your battery in; then, you can try binding. Once it says it's bound, then you can remove the bind plug.

Yoshio

First things first -

What happens when you try to bind? What does it say when you try binding - Bind Failed?

You should have the bind plug plugged in to the Bind slot, then plug your battery in; then, you can try binding. Once it says it's bound, then you can remove the bind plug.
Yes I did exactly that and transmitter said it's bound, I removed the bind plug but nothing happened. Then I turned off plane and transmitter, turned on transmitter, then plane. Same thing.

Bricks

Master member
To arm some of those need the throttle moved above 25% and then back down to 0 to arm the plane as a safety factor.
When binding DO NOT have the transmitter next to the plane, I will turn away from the plane so my body is between the plane and transmitter. Plug in receiver first with bind plug, then turn on transmitter in bind mode once bound shut everything down and repower with transmitter on first then the plane.

Keep asking questions we will get you going.

Bricks

Master member
Did the original seller mention that he de-registered the radio with Spektrum , one way to find out is go to Spektrum set up an account and register your radio if it will not let you register your serial number then you need to contact the original owner and have him de-register it. If not then any future updates you will not be able to get. It is Horizons way of protecting stolen radios.

messyhead

I don't use this transmitter so can't offer specific advice on it. But the one thing I would say, is to learn about failsafe and also setup a kill switch. I only found out about it this week, and I started this hobby last year. I also fly with my son, and feel that it's an important safety aspect you should know about to start out with.

Yoshio

Guys I am very happy. Just bound the DX7 succesfully! :) Thanks a lot. Everything is like on the original transmitter.

-> Only the Hi/Lo Rate isn't assigned. Can you help with this? Can I use the 3-Position F-switch and even program 3 different rates? :)

Yoshio

If you're a beginner flyer, I wouldn't bother with flaps just now or hi/lo rates.
Flaps not yet, but on the original DXe transmitter I had a two position rate switch which I enjoyed. Now with the DX7 the servos allow a pretty long way. So the low rate was quite helpful when switching to advanced or expert mode to not mess up by moving the sticks beginnerish hard.

Bricks

Master member
I had to do come checking to learn more about the DX7 as I have DX9`s but they seem to be the same, everything you mentioned can be done.

Radio on
Press roller once
brings up function list
scroll to D/R and expo click
Scroll to switch click, flip the switch you want to use once done click again
set switch to position you want for your first flight mode.
Now click channel this is where you choose what surface you want to set first once set click notice what number curve is being used.

Added .......first time each control surface is selected you have to scrol down and choose the switch you used for the first control surface. once this is done for each surface then just flip the switch and it will put you into 2 flight mode then go thru elevator rudder etc to set your flight mode 2.

click dual rates scroll % of how much up and down travel you want once done click
click expo set your expo then click
scroll up click channel make sure curve number matches the above then repeat for each surface
once done then go to the next switch position and repeat until all flight modes are done the way you want them. Once finished you should see the screen move the curves around for each switch position and each surface you choose.

Throttle cut go to the screen that says throttle cut choose the switch you want and the direction you want the switch to operate in by darkening which position you want the switch to operate in I keep all my planes on the same switch.

Last edited:

Yoshio

I had to do come checking to learn more about the DX7 as I have DX9`s but they seem to be the same, everything you mentioned can be done.

Radio on
Press roller once
brings up function list
scroll to D/R and expo click
Scroll to switch click, flip the switch you want to use once done click again
set switch to position you want for your first flight mode.
Now click channel this is where you choose what surface you want to set first once set click notice what number curve is being used.
click dual rates scroll % of how much up and down travel you want once done click
click expo set your expo then click
scroll up click channel make sure curve number matches the above then repeat for each surface
once done then go to the next switch position and repeat until all flight modes are done the way you want them. Once finished you should see the screen move the curves around for each switch position and each surface you choose.

Throttle cut go to the screen that says throttle cut choose the switch you want and the direction you want the switch to operate in by darkening which position you want the switch to operate in I keep all my planes on the same switch.
Cool, such advice I couldn't find in the manual or YT. I got to the point: "click dual rates scroll % of how...." (se below)

Questions:
- What is "expo" for?
- what is curve? I understood "curve 0" is my first "rate" setup, "curve 1" the second and so on. But doesn't make sense.
- I don't understand: "scroll up click channel make sure curve number matches the above then repeat for each surface"
-> curve number matches what? ;What is meant by "surface"? Does it mean the different servos I want to adjust?
- When I am on the switch-graphic at the bottom of the screen, I see a dot below the squares moving to the position I move the switch - got that. But I don't understand what the click on the scroll-wheel means: that action changes the square color between black and white. What does this mean? As by now I think I when I put e.g. 2 positions on black, I can assign one same setup to both switch positions.