Whoop won't fly properly

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Make sure that your motor mapping and board orientation are correct. Run each motor independently, and make sure the right one moves for the channel selected, and in the right direction. Tip the board and make sure the artificial horizon moves in the correct direction. This does not sound like a PID/tuning thing. More like the FC doesn't have proper knowledge of which way to go, or the motors are not working the way it thinks they are mapped.
Close up pictures of your whoop would help us figure this out too.
Ok I will run through that and add pics if it is not fixed when I am done.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Okay I tried doing all those things. The effect: Nothing. Should I try flashing the firmware? Thanks.

Mr_Stripes

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Start by just plugging the board into betaflight. At the top of the page there is a scrolling list of what the fc is doing. In that initial listing should be what firmware is flashed to the board. Confirm that is in fact what should be on the board from emax. If so default the whole thing and start from scratch.

Start with a new model profile in your radio as well. If you use opentx anything for a radio go in and shut off trims for all the channels. With props off set up channel centers and end points so they range from 1000us to 2000us with 1500us centers. Do an accelerometer calibration on the desk. Then go to the motors tab and enable that. Check each motor is spinning in the proper direction. If using dshot protocol no esc calibration is needed if using anything else then you must calibrate the esc's. Once this has been done unplug everything and leave the props off. Power up the radio. power the quad and arm it. let it idle and pick it up. tilt one corner at a time down. That motor should speed up. If all react properly then it should hover. If it does not then there is an orientation issue going on that needs to be addressed.

Once you have that all done do a test hover to see if anything has changed. We can work from there provided you actually do all the setting up from scratch again.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
To no one in particular.. RANT ON!!!

I despise Spectrum because they INSIST on doing unnecessary proprietary crap..... The ENTIRE drone world operates using that 1000us to 2000us range. EVERYONE defaults at that range on their radios and now fixed wing receivers and flight controllers have also started working with that standard.. Yet Spectrum refuses to get on tha darn bus...

I stated this in I dont know how many bajillion threads where Spectrum is used on quads.. set your end points ~147% to reach that range.. If you have one of them locked spectrum radios where you cant set that throw it in the garbage or stop using multirotor.

Nothing against you mate.. Spectrum is like the AMA STILL living in the 1950's.. Nuff said rant off..

@Mr_Stripes try that change to get caught up with the complete process and do the test hover and see where we stand.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Mr_Stripes This is done in the radio using either end points or or travel adjust as again Specktrum refuses to use standardization and it seems to be different across their radios.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Ok the endpoints thing was great thx. I have done everything and the board does react properly when I tilt it. However it still yaws hard when you throttle up. It also wobbles around if you hold it by the canopy if it is idling. I still have no clue what it could be.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok first question.. are you holding it with the props on while idling and if so is it in auto level mode. That will fight you tooth and nail because your muscle control is far less stable then its gyros hehe. set it to acro mode and hold it at idle. it should calm right down and give smooth reaction to any movement you make. let it idle for a short period and check how hot each one gets. is one or more hotter then the others?

Next on the to check list is your motors. Do they all turn freely by hand and feel like equal pressure is needed on each motor? can you flip the prop by hand and get about the same number of revolutions from each motor or does one or more stop more abruptly then the others? That tells you it may be clogged with hair or even have a slightly bent shaft or may even be plum wore out as those brushed motors dont last very long.

IF they all seem to turn freely and are not getting warm on short idle times then we need to look at pids and filters. Lets eliminate motor issues first though.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
They all turn freely and they aren't clogged. Also they are little 0802 brushless motors. It is working in acro and it stopped yawing in stab but it still wobbles in stab and a little it in acro.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So we have made progress then good. Brushless makes life even easier from here

First and foremost WHEN do these wobbles happen, when hovering, when in straight forward flight, or when turning? Are they constant or do they come and go? Do they seem slow in frequency or fast more like a chirping? Video would be a huge help about now if you could do that.

I would start by turning off most of the filters but thats a bit indepth and that type of change could potentially damage the quad if just done out of the blue. Usually when I do a build I turn them off before the test hover because I know I will be tuning on good quality brand new gear.

Does the yaw still happen when throttling up? is it only on a take off or in flight? since you mentioned yaw issues we will start there.

One of the things I learned about tuning is P gains are the most important things for a quad and that yaw is not so much a priority as pitch and roll. Betaflight as well as KISS both seem to start with higher then needed yaw P gains which usually shows its self as mid throttle oscillations everyone chases.

Try lowering yaw P gain down to 70 or even 68 and see what changes.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Ok idk what I did but everything is working now. Thx for all of the help. Now to tune it so it flys acro better:).

Mr_Stripes