Who's commented on Remote ID?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well, we have a president who lives on Twitter and tells the country his political stances on a lot of things, so I think that people will take it as a "viable" stage, even if social media is something of a morass.

It doesn't really matter what your political stance is, people use FB and Twitter to blast their stances and issues out to the world, and people pay more attention to that than you'd think, whether it's right or wrong...
The president pukes out his opinions on stages like Twitter and the only reason people pay attention is because it is trendy in the media's eyes. It gets the attention of the hyper sensitive to give them something to chew on, it's click bait. Its like when you see the world leaders getting together for a summit meeting, what do you see on the news? Do you see what was discussed in the meeting or coverage of the riots outside? Which is the same thing that got our hobby put in a negative light. If you think that getting things done in a positive direction for the hobby on social media can be pulled off, then my hat is off to you. The issue I see is that there is so much that needs to be learned by the instant gratification general public to even want to understand the how this affects them. Then once the hobby problem is understood, people can rally up and take a stand. Today its our hobby that takes the hit, because they get away with that it, there will be something else more serious that affects every ones rights. You give them an inch, they take a mile. The thing is too that this kind of stuff creeps up on us from behind closed doors, by the time there is a chance to react it is already to late.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The president pukes out his opinions on stages like Twitter and the only reason people pay attention is because it is trendy in the media's eyes.

But it works. Just ask Alice Johnson.

I'm not on Twitter. I don't know or care what he or anyone else tweets. It takes one heck of a social media buzz for me to see it.

I saw the vapers, though. I also saw Kim Kardashian (media personality??) get to visit the White House and help spring Alice Johnson.

I don't see us on the TV news making our case.

Why not?

Why aren't we promoting our hobby on TV during an XFL game?

How can we get Josh Bixler (our media personality) on the CBS evening news making our case and generating chat around the water cooler?

I think good offence makes the best defense and I think we have been on defense long enough.

sumone

So that's It .
The commenting period is over .
The amount of people that submitted comments is underwhelming.
And I got to say I'm shocked . I submitted twice and I consider myself to be as lazy AF.
But i did it because this hobby is an important part of my life.

I'm not much of a drinker but I think I need a Beer
:(

cranialrectosis

Mentor
So that's It .
The commenting period is over .
The amount of people that submitted comments is underwhelming.
And I got to say I'm shocked . I submitted twice and I consider myself to be as lazy AF.
But i did it because this hobby is an important part of my life.

I'm not much of a drinker but I think I need a Beer
:(

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Churchill :)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
But it works. Just ask Alice Johnson.

I'm not on Twitter. I don't know or care what he or anyone else tweets. It takes one heck of a social media buzz for me to see it.

I saw the vapers, though. I also saw Kim Kardashian (media personality??) get to visit the White House and help spring Alice Johnson.

I don't see us on the TV news making our case.

Why not?

Why aren't we promoting our hobby on TV during an XFL game?

How can we get Josh Bixler (our media personality) on the CBS evening news making our case and generating chat around the water cooler?

I think good offence makes the best defense and I think we have been on defense long enough.

Simple. We don't have the advertising dollars to throw something out during an XFL game, or on national news, and the public sees us as a public nuisance, because we fly "drones" (the FAA has labeled all of our planes drones, because to the FAA a "drone" is an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, but the public thinks a drone is a multirotor). We need an education of the public, and that takes time and resources, and money to put forth an advertising campaign to change it.

I hate saying it, but that's the reality of it. The people who participate in the hobby know what it's like, but the people outside of it think it's all about spying on us, or getting pictures of girls in bikinis at the beach or in their backyard, or that we're flying recklessly and dangerously to get the next viral video. Or, we're building a drone that will fire off 9mm rounds to take out our worst enemies from miles away.

I know that's not what we want to hear, but the PERCEPTION is that we all fly drones and we're all bad people spying on everyone, even though it isn't true.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Simple. We don't have the advertising dollars to throw something out during an XFL game, or on national news, and the public sees us as a public nuisance, because we fly "drones" (the FAA has labeled all of our planes drones, because to the FAA a "drone" is an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, but the public thinks a drone is a multirotor). We need an education of the public, and that takes time and resources, and money to put forth an advertising campaign to change it.

I hate saying it, but that's the reality of it. The people who participate in the hobby know what it's like, but the people outside of it think it's all about spying on us, or getting pictures of girls in bikinis at the beach or in their backyard, or that we're flying recklessly and dangerously to get the next viral video. Or, we're building a drone that will fire off 9mm rounds to take out our worst enemies from miles away.

I know that's not what we want to hear, but the PERCEPTION is that we all fly drones and we're all bad people spying on everyone, even though it isn't true.
Where was Bixlers 800,000 subs in all this? You even see it here in the forums where you have a new member who says i have been watching the FT channel for the past 6-12 months, finally decided to participate. And even that doesnt happen everyday. I would say a decent portion of the subs just watch for entertainment value.

I was talking to a guy in the LHS yesterday, customer, who was looking at multirotors. He was asking me what i do and i promoted the hell out of FT. Showed him some of my vids, took him around the store to show him what he needs for electronics. Told him about DTFB and how cheap it is to build a plane and how easy it is to fly and crash. He got excited to try it out. It isn't that hard to spark interest in someone. But to get them to understand the issue takes time. Time building, time flying, experience the hobby enough to realize whats being taken away. Then to translate that into how it affects all aspects of our rights and freedoms. Just the exposure to what we have enjoyed and what is going to be the situation that we have to deal with down the road.

cranialrectosis

Mentor

The only people talking about our hobby to people who are NOT part of our hobby, hate our hobby.

The only preaching we do is to our own choir.

This isn't about logic or reason. This is about culture and passion.

Preaching logic to passion is party pooping and it won't win us any friends or get senators out to our flying fields.

We don't share our culture outside of our own close knit groups or when we do, we try to educate instead of have fun. It isolates us and that isolation (or perceived isolation) is what makes us a target of the FAA.

The vapers faced EXACTLY the same propaganda machine. At first they too tried logic and reason. That failed miserably. So they made it passionate. "I vape and I vote" was the slogan. If Donald signs the law, we won't vote for Donald. It worked really well.

In a sane world, this wouldn't work. In a sane world, our hobby (and vaping) would be considered HUGELY beneficial to society.

These are not sane times. We need to realize this and adapt accordingly.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Big corporations such as Wing which is a sub of Google/Alphabet sounds to be very supportive of hobbyists and had some good talking points.
https://medium.com/wing-aviation/wing-supports-astm-standard-for-drone-remote-id-ffe88095bf1a

Our skies are open to all. Hobbyists are vital to innovation in the United States. However, the proposed rule would make it difficult for hobbyists to build and operate their aircraft. The final rule should recognize alternative ways for hobbyists to identify their drones, including via smartphone, and should avoid limiting their participation in the airspace.
...snip...
Keeps our skies open to all. The ASTM standard supports all kinds of operators. Compliance is simple and affordable, and operators can identify themselves without additional equipment or infrastructure. Wing believes that the final rule should allow hobbyists with low-risk, basic-capability aircraft to register their flight intent via the USS network on publicly available smartphone apps. This is consistent with the ASTM standard for non-equipped participants, and similar to authorizations for airspace access under LAANC. Further, Wing believes that community based organizations should be permitted to establish and renew exempt flying sites beyond twelve months.

Wing's full comment to the FAA https://www.regulations.gov/content...1100-51456&attachmentNumber=1&contentType=pdf

Chin up, keep a positive outlook, and advocate!
Cheers!
LitterBug

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It saddens me to say that the legal restrictions being applied to the flying of RC planes and 'Copters is a direct result of a paranoid media and public. What is even worse is that the very persons who seem to be feeding the paranoia are the ones that complain the loudest.

Forums such as this are full of persons showing off their latest achievement even if the achievement is somewhat dangerous or even illegal under existing laws. Go to UTube and the illegal actions, the deliberate flouting of the laws. and even acts that could be considered as extremely dangerous are there for all to see including those who espouse the banning of all RC flying totally.

Until the bad RC user behaviour is withdrawn from forums and various websites, (including the dreaded utube), the pressure for further restrictions from legislators and better law enforcement from local authorities can be expected. You want to continue the hobby but collectively refuse to limit the often criminal actions of yourself and others, (Dangerous flying and even weaponizing flying models).

Where the authorities see that an activity cannot effectively self-regulate they are then forced to pass laws to restrict behaviours that are seen to be dangerous to the public - THAT IS THEIR JOB! So either consider self regulation or accept the laws that result from some of the extreme actions of those that publicise their activities.

As for myself I did not like the elitist attitudes of RC clubs and so I joined one to change it from within and I have had some amazing results and watched the club membership more than double. Making it safe AND friendly is not difficult. Now I not only teach and mentor locally but I also build for others. I also do extensive repairs/rebuilds for club members. By the end of the year I hope to actually export my first product as I have found a market niche that is not being serviced effectively.

RC flying models is not being shut down but rather it is to be more tightly controlled and the operators are soon going to be held to account legally for their actions. Sure there is a cost in the compliance but eventually all of the radio equipment will evolve to meet any new regulations imposed.

Should new restrictions make you feel targeted in some way, you should consider what you are doing and how it impacts the public view of the hobby or sport. The utube posts of many show that the self regulation espoused by the national aero-modelling associations is not possible or effective. Many refuse to join the national representative bodies and so are beyond their reach.

The nett result of a large rogue element that publish their antics is that their publications are considered as proof that legislative restrictions are necessary and so identification and registration of users is required. I am a single voice and have been trying to push responsible behaviour on our part but the warnings were ignored and ridiculed by many. I will continue to fly and follow all legal impositions to do so. DO something about the posts of illegal and dangerous activities involving RC flying activities and the legislators and the media will eventually relent but until then get used to the idea of ever tighter and restrictive laws.

Remember this, "As you sow, so shall you reap", and a single published illegal or dangerous flight is more representative of the hobby, (in the eyes of legislators), than a million unpublished safe and legal flights!

Have, (safe and responsible), Fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Many refuse to join the national representative bodies and so are beyond their reach.
This is exactly where this is going to go, and the result is that anyone with ill intent, as mentioned so many times before, will not be prosecuted because there is no way to track them due to the fact that they won't be registered, they won't use a transponder, they won't log in on an app, they won't fly in sanctioned areas. With the imposed rules this number of people that fly outside the law will be exponential. Not due to the fact that these operators have suddenly become more dangerous, but because the law has overlapped this hobby to being illegal. Look at prohibition, it was illegal to drink because drunks didn't fit the moral family compass, but in imposing these laws actually made the situation worse. A band-aid fix for the family morality drove rum running gangs into an opportunity to seize profit from senseless murders for territory and status. Example Al Capone. The government had to open up a whole new branch in the FBI to quell a problem that they themselves created. This will be no different. If flying a RC plane in a safe and responsible manner is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This is exactly where this is going to go, and the result is that anyone with ill intent, as mentioned so many times before, will not be prosecuted because there is no way to track them due to the fact that they won't be registered, they won't use a transponder, they won't log in on an app, they won't fly in sanctioned areas. With the imposed rules this number of people that fly outside the law will be exponential. Not due to the fact that these operators have suddenly become more dangerous, but because the law has overlapped this hobby to being illegal. Look at prohibition, it was illegal to drink because drunks didn't fit the moral family compass, but in imposing these laws actually made the situation worse. A band-aid fix for the family morality drove rum running gangs into an opportunity to seize profit from senseless murders for territory and status. Example Al Capone. The government had to open up a whole new branch in the FBI to quell a problem that they themselves created. This will be no different. If flying a RC plane in a safe and responsible manner is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Your mentioning of Prohibition is rather insightful but you failed to tie in the ongoing legislative actions of the authorities and the serious enforcement efforts undertaken! Sure Prohibition was expensive and in the end repealed but that is where the comparison ends.

RC users have a responsibility to the public both legally and morally to ensure that the operation of RC flying models is done safely with responsibility and accountability. All club members are required to have insurance and fly within the law. Rogue pilots do not! Clubs normally have registered flying fields that seriously will rarely or never be subject to enforcement efforts BUT fly outside of the club environment, (as rogues and terrorists will be doing), and you can expect a rapid enforcement presence and huge legal penalty.

It is up to the individual but actually joining a club and following the club rules is going to be less expensive than going rogue and be facing law enforcement teams visiting or even knocking on your door! If you are not a club member then you are actually part of the problem and if you continue to post, or tolerate the posting of, content that is adverse to the safe and responsible operation of RC flying aircraft then at least acknowledge your part in being responsible for the new laws and the even more restrictive and draconian laws yet to come!

Have, (safe and responsible), fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Your mentioning of Prohibition is rather insightful but you failed to tie in the ongoing legislative actions of the authorities and the serious enforcement efforts undertaken! Sure Prohibition was expensive and in the end repealed but that is where the comparison ends.

RC users have a responsibility to the public both legally and morally to ensure that the operation of RC flying models is done safely with responsibility and accountability. All club members are required to have insurance and fly within the law. Rogue pilots do not! Clubs normally have registered flying fields that seriously will rarely or never be subject to enforcement efforts BUT fly outside of the club environment, (as rogues and terrorists will be doing), and you can expect a rapid enforcement presence and huge legal penalty.

It is up to the individual but actually joining a club and following the club rules is going to be less expensive than going rogue and be facing law enforcement teams visiting or even knocking on your door! If you are not a club member then you are actually part of the problem and if you continue to post, or tolerate the posting of, content that is adverse to the safe and responsible operation of RC flying aircraft then at least acknowledge your part in being responsible for the new laws and the even more restrictive and draconian laws yet to come!

Have, (safe and responsible), fun!
Touché, my friend. The point i was making was that taking something that is 99.9% risk free, unlike alcohol, making the regulations being imposed a lot more ridiculous. Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. Therefore you are right, that is where the comparison ends. But just because the going trend in the general public eye that all UAS are a threat to public safety and security is ridiculous as well. And as for the governing body that wants to impose it, they have seriously larger issues then to be messing around with a hobby that is less risky then getting struck by lightening. Certifying unsafe airliners being one of them, to their discretion, isn't a good look, especially when because of their hap-hazard certification in the interest of the manufacturer, has killed many people and continues to do so. This does not lead off a stellar reputation for peoples safety and security being their number one priority. So why should they be trusted to mess with something that has very little consequence to anyone else other then the operators who do fly in a safe and responsible manner. Just compare risk assessments to the amount of deaths in a jetliner to the recreational use of UAS the next time you step on a plane for vacation. That's something to think about as well. My 48" wingspan STOL plane will never kill hundreds of people in one fell swoop, so how can the FAA justify their actions against the hobby. It was the FAA's lack of security that let terrorists onto 4 planes in 2001 to take down the Twin Towers, a chunk of the Pentagon, and kill thousands of people not only in the planes but on the ground as well. I think the FAA has a lot of growing up to do to gain the faith of the public. Maybe this hit on the hobby has partially something to do with that for the positive publicity, who knows.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Touché, my friend. The point i was making was that taking something that is 99.9% risk free, unlike alcohol, making the regulations being imposed a lot more ridiculous. Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. Therefore you are right, that is where the comparison ends. But just because the going trend in the general public eye that all UAS are a threat to public safety and security is ridiculous as well. And as for the governing body that wants to impose it, they have seriously larger issues then to be messing around with a hobby that is less risky then getting struck by lightening. Certifying unsafe airliners being one of them, to their discretion, isn't a good look, especially when because of their hap-hazard certification in the interest of the manufacturer, has killed many people and continues to do so. This does not lead off a stellar reputation for peoples safety and security being their number one priority. So why should they be trusted to mess with something that has very little consequence to anyone else other then the operators who do fly in a safe and responsible manner. Just compare risk assessments to the amount of deaths in a jetliner to the recreational use of UAS the next time you step on a plane for vacation. That's something to think about as well. My 48" wingspan STOL plane will never kill hundreds of people in one fell swoop, so how can the FAA justify their actions against the hobby. It was the FAA's lack of security that let terrorists onto 4 planes in 2001 to take down the Twin Towers, a chunk of the Pentagon, and kill thousands of people not only in the planes but on the ground as well. I think the FAA has a lot of growing up to do to gain the faith of the public. Maybe this hit on the hobby has partially something to do with that for the positive publicity, who knows.
You are correct about the real danger the hobby poses but consider that in the current climate FEAR rules! Anything that can generate FEAR in someone else regardless of whether that fear is realistic now needs to be controlled.

The aforementioned plethora of posts involving dangerous and illegal antics has coloured our hobby in the eyes and minds of the public and the legislators. National bodies do not control the hobby or even the posted content and so each and every one of us must assume the responsibility and the punitive measures dealt out for such public information.

I was also a rogue many years ago but I was also smart enough to realise what was obviously going to happen in regards to regulation of the hobby and why. We do face further regulations and the legal requirements will continue to grow until the illegal and dangerous content is no longer being made publicly available. Then the regulation will plateau and the enforcement efforts will be reduced.

My earlier contribution to the fears of the public I recognise and accept. Changing my ways was not easy or even cheap but I now get greater benefits from the hobby than I had ever done previously.

The new laws are to really weed out the rogue and dangerous users. Until they are gone the legal requirements will continue to grow! It is somewhat ironic that the US, (the home of Facebook and YouTube), is suffering greatly from the fallout of the unrestricted and unaccountable nature of RC flying aircraft content posted on the aforementioned platforms. Here we, (registered and insured club members), are attempting the policing the local flying activities with, the education of rogue pilots, offerings of club membership, and if necessary the reporting of their illegal behaviour. Our laws are still far less restrictive than those proposed in the US but our local RC club and its membership has taken responsibility for keeping our hobby as free and legal as possible.

Our club is actually seen as a blessing by the local authorities in our area and by the owners of the properties on which we fly.

Have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Our club is actually seen as a blessing by the local authorities in our area and by the owners of the properties on which we fly.
I could see that being a positive for sure, a sanctuary where the safe and responsible can enjoy the hobby. But then there will be less of those as they get weeded out. Then looking at the other side of the fence, do you actually think that the decrease of sanctioned flying zones will reduce the number of dangerous operators? No. It does nothing to the safety and security for the general public. Enforcement! Ha! My house could be broken into, my car stolen, and my dog laying dead in the back yard, the cops won't show up for two hours, if I am lucky. I don't think that Canada's finest will be showing up in the 20 minutes I am on site, flying a couple packs, and packed up back in the car on the way home. I could be cooking dinner maybe even eating dessert before there is a black and white driving around looking for RC criminals lol.

This was fun sir as always, but when it comes down to it really its all speculation as to how this plays out. Who knows what will come next.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
RC flying models is not being shut down but rather it is to be more tightly controlled and the operators are soon going to be held to account legally for their actions.
The devil is in the details. As far as this group is concerned it might as well be being shut down as there are no provisions for putting rID on foam board planes that we whip out.
It is a strange and Orwellian world where I can legally build and fire a firearm but not an RC plane.