Who's commented on Remote ID?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It is nice to have a real discussion but sadly we are somewhat intelligent and informed persons. Sadly those that make the rules are far less so!

I just encourage current users to curb the posting of dangerous and illegal antics on the internet or other public forums to allow the legislators to return to their so badly needed nap time.

The fate of our hobby is really in our hands so we either do nothing and allow the rogue element to rule or take active action to distance ourselves from such.

Sure the authorities are slow to act in most cases, even here, and their responses are not always what is needed to solve the situation. If you hadn't noticed the hobby is on the verge of being considered as a possible terrorist threat because no one takes responsibility for what could be considered as a potential terrorist threat/medium/method/training ground.

It is the legislators views that are skewed that way and the posted bad material that colours their vision.

Have fun, (while you can)!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The devil is in the details. As far as this group is concerned it might as well be being shut down as there are no provisions for putting rID on foam board planes that we whip out.
It is a strange and Orwellian world where I can legally build and fire a firearm but not an RC plane.
If the legislators only knew that each and every modern radio has a unique identifier in its transmission stream. It is the unique identifier that allows a receiver to work only with the transmitter to which it is bound! If all radios were registered with the FCC or national body then the ability to trace the user would be assured and the need for a separate identifier would vanish! When purchasing a radio the radio ID and the purchasers info would be recorded and passed to the appropriate authorities.

Sadly it is their lack of knowledge and their fears that cause the legislation to be such as it is!

Have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The devil is in the details. As far as this group is concerned it might as well be being shut down as there are no provisions for putting rID on foam board planes that we whip out.
It is a strange and Orwellian world where I can legally build and fire a firearm but not an RC plane.
This is the elected government of the free world, where the priorities take a back seat and nothing is free

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If the legislators only knew that each and every modern radio has a unique identifier in its transmission stream. It is the unique identifier that allows a receiver to work only with the transmitter to which it is bound! If all radios were registered with the FCC or national body then the ability to trace the user would be assured and the need for a separate identifier would vanish! When purchasing a radio the radio ID and the purchasers info would be recorded and passed to the appropriate authorities.

Sadly it is their lack of knowledge and their fears that cause the legislation to be such as it is!

Have fun!
When flying FPV, you are technically required to show your HAM call sign in the feed periodically, so yet another way to identify.

§97.119 Station identification.
(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every ten minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions. No station may transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.

1583413153538.png

Cheers!
LitterBug
KE8ELK

EDIT: GREAT in-depth article for info on RC, HAM, and FPV with a good history lesson of it all https://www.flitetest.com/articles/fpv-the-fcc-and-amateur-radio-makes-three

Last edited:

Captain Video

Simple. We don't have the advertising dollars to throw something out during an XFL game, or on national news, and the public sees us as a public nuisance, because we fly "drones" (the FAA has labeled all of our planes drones, because to the FAA a "drone" is an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, but the public thinks a drone is a multirotor). We need an education of the public, and that takes time and resources, and money to put forth an advertising campaign to change it.

I hate saying it, but that's the reality of it. The people who participate in the hobby know what it's like, but the people outside of it think it's all about spying on us, or getting pictures of girls in bikinis at the beach or in their backyard, or that we're flying recklessly and dangerously to get the next viral video. Or, we're building a drone that will fire off 9mm rounds to take out our worst enemies from miles away.

I know that's not what we want to hear, but the PERCEPTION is that we all fly drones and we're all bad people spying on everyone, even though it isn't true.

When I coached my kids basketball teams, I would tell them if the referees think you fouled, YOU DID. Whether you did it or not you committed a foul. PERCEPTION IS REALITY, especially in today's world. If the world perceives that all RC pilots are bad then we are. I am not sure how we can change this vision where we (RC pilots, not drone pilots) can win. Perhaps people like ADAM SAVAGE of MythBusters, perhaps any notable astronauts, or a celebrity who happens to like RC aviation can speak out on our behalf.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
When I coached my kids basketball teams, I would tell them if the referees think you fouled, YOU DID. Whether you did it or not you committed a foul. PERCEPTION IS REALITY, especially in today's world. If the world perceives that all RC pilots are bad then we are. I am not sure how we can change this vision where we (RC pilots, not drone pilots) can win. Perhaps people like ADAM SAVAGE of MythBusters, perhaps any notable astronauts, or a celebrity who happens to like RC aviation can speak out on our behalf.
There are many in our community, who understand our community, that have spoken out as to how safe and responsible we are as a community. But that is the problem because those people are seen as being tied and biased to our community. You are right we do need perception turned into the positive light, and if it takes non-biased, non partial celebrities to do so I am all for it. The problem again lies in the fact that the general public will see one bad apple out of tens of thousands of apples and call the whole thing a mess. They are tied to the negative. Which is funny because by example, these people drive cars everyday, putting their lives in the hands and discretion of other drivers, putting their lives at risk, when people die by the thousands in car accidents every year. The same mentality that puts the RC flying hobby in a bad light, is ignored when it comes to an everyday task like driving to work. These people that want to jump on the "UAS is Bad" bandwagon should sell their cars and cut up their drivers license, never to drive again. Secondly, as right as these same people seem to think they are, probably are terrible drivers and put others lives at risk every day they get behind the wheel. Its a messed up perception of something that is safer then driving to the local convenience store, or walking on the sidewalk, riding a pedal bike, I could go on...

Hondo76251

Legendary member

I understand your point and what you are saying is essentially the truth, especially in this context. However, it makes the makes my sense of patriotic, american pride cringe a little to hear people talk like that.

It is a natural human reaction when confronted by authority to start looking around at each other to distribute the blame, guilty or not. "Dont look at me, I didn't do it! It was them! They're the ones giving us a bad name!"

I believe in the founding principles of America, even if we do loose our way a bit sometimes. Individual freedom and liberty and the personal responsibility that goes with it are of paramount importance. If your government over steps its authority it is our duty to push back.

I understand the goal of creating a new airspace to accommodate changing technologies and that is not an easy thing to do. It's going to have some hiccups, that I can forgive, but I will not stop building foam airplanes and flying them safely over my own property. Should the rules go into affect as written I will not comply. I will also put my money where my mouth is and stand with any organization that brings legal action against them. That is all we have left to do should this go through as proposed.

I get what you are saying about the importance of our public image, and I agree, but we are a representative democracy, not a mob rule democracy. The rights of the individual trump the whims of the mob. That's an even more important principle to stand behind in this modern world where people can be whipped into a frenzy overnight by almost anything if the press spins it for them...

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I understand your point and what you are saying is essentially the truth, especially in this context. However, it makes the makes my sense of patriotic, american pride cringe a little to hear people talk like that.

It is a natural human reaction when confronted by authority to start looking around at each other to distribute the blame, guilty or not. "Dont look at me, I didn't do it! It was them! They're the ones giving us a bad name!"

I believe in the founding principles of America, even if we do loose our way a bit sometimes. Individual freedom and liberty and the personal responsibility that goes with it are of paramount importance. If your government over steps its authority it is our duty to push back.

I understand the goal of creating a new airspace to accommodate changing technologies and that is not an easy thing to do. It's going to have some hiccups, that I can forgive, but I will not stop building foam airplanes and flying them safely over my own property. Should the rules go into affect as written I will not comply. I will also put my money where my mouth is and stand with any organization that brings legal action against them. That is all we have left to do should this go through as proposed.

I get what you are saying about the importance of our public image, and I agree, but we are a representative democracy, not a mob rule democracy. The rights of the individual trump the whims of the mob. That's an even more important principle to stand behind in this modern world where people can be whipped into a frenzy overnight by almost anything if the press spins it for them...

I simply can't like this post enough.

slembcke

So the comment period has come and gone. How do people feel about the 50k comments? Unfortunately a lot of them are a sentence or two long and can be summed up as "Got off my lawn!". :-\

https://www.regulations.gov/docketBrowser?rpp=50&so=DESC&sb=postedDate&po=50&dct=PS&D=FAA-2019-1100

I'm kinda worried what message it sends when such a small percentage of people speak up and actually have something to say. I was hopeful when the numbers really started accelerating the last few days, but going through and reading some of them... Hrm. :-\

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So the comment period has come and gone. How do people feel about the 50k comments? Unfortunately a lot of them are a sentence or two long and can be summed up as "Got off my lawn!". :-\

https://www.regulations.gov/docketBrowser?rpp=50&so=DESC&sb=postedDate&po=50&dct=PS&D=FAA-2019-1100

I'm kinda worried what message it sends when such a small percentage of people speak up and actually have something to say. I was hopeful when the numbers really started accelerating the last few days, but going through and reading some of them... Hrm. :-\

On the other hand, How many people commented that this is the best thing since sliced bread??

Half full? or Half Empty?

I have a Cup!

basslord1124

Master member
My comments were generally from the heart so definitely some passion there...but nothing profane , or "this is stupid", "suck it FAA" nonsense. I'm not that kind of person. I think the big things that I would like for them to get from my comments is basically that this hobby is a release for me. It's my decompression time. A time for me to escape the stresses of normal everyday life and have a little bit of "fun". And the other thing is keeping cost down for whatever happens. We are a single income family now until my wife finishes school. The fact that Josh Bixler found this little niche of DIY foamboard airplanes with cheap materials is a blessing for me to still enjoy this hobby without breaking the bank.

But I am only one person and my interests are not the public standard view. I fly RC planes mainly and not drones/quads. That is one thing about this hobby...it's not just 1 thing...it's multiple activities. Electric RC planes, Gas/Nitro RC planes, RC helicopters, drones/quads, thermal gliding, FPV, and the list goes on. Some folks fly just for the sake of flying, some fly to get amazing videos and pictures, some race with others, etc. But yet, despite this, we all get lumped into one unit. Reading the replies to this thread, I do have to kind of go along with @Hai-Lee ...I do think we have brought this on ourselves. And of course I do think the media has hyped it up tremendously as well as big companies having a say so in the matter. I also have noticed too that it seems like the "drones are bad" hype is not at the same magnitude that it used to be. I'm not sure if I feel that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I also sort of look at this in the same sense as bank robbers. Common sense pretty much says that you shouldn't rob a bank. And of course it is punishable by law if you rob a bank and get caught. With this in mind, folks can still try to rob a bank if they choose to. Common sense says you shouldn't fly any remote control air vehicle (drone/quad, helicopter, plane, etc) near an active airport. Despite this, people still can do it if they choose to.

Regardless what happens, I am still going to do my best to enjoy the hobby. Build, fly, etc.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here is an appetizer of some of the quality comments quoted from the comment period, it's censored but the kids might need earmuffs...

Just goes to show you what GOOD or DAMAGE freedom of speech can do...
I commented on this video

Captain Video

I had worked for an AV and Staging company and we had the contract for the Jeff Dunham tour. He is a big RC advocate too.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

And unfortunately, I think that's what it would come down to. We need several well known, well respected celebrities to speak out to the general public on the issue. Problem is, who do we get to do that? Keep in mind they're gonna get blasted by the people who think we're all a bunch of reckless fliers or are spying - are there any people who are willing to do that, and KEEP talking up the positives of our hobby? I haven't seen it, other than the faces like Bixler, or Bardwell, who are truly fighting for our hobby - and unfortunately, Bixler and Bardwell are only well-known within our community, not outside of it.

I'd like to believe that we can turn the tide, but right now...I dunno. I've invited California's Congresspeople to our April club meeting at our field to come out and see what's going on, what we do, where we fly, and see what's happening; hopefully we can get them to come out and fight for us regarding the FAA. I don't know if any will show, or if they even care about this issue, but all I can do is send out a request.

redbarton

Anybody know Adam Savage (Myth Busters) personally?

James May is out of the question. He works for Amazon, a company sure to be lobbying for the NPRM restrictions.

Hmm? What other celebrity likes planes? Harrison Ford? Nah, too grumpy.

Tom Cruise! He's our maverik! Well, only if the scientologists will let him...

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Anybody know Adam Savage (Myth Busters) personally?

James May is out of the question. He works for Amazon, a company sure to be lobbying for the NPRM restrictions.

Hmm? What other celebrity likes planes? Harrison Ford? Nah, too grumpy.

Tom Cruise! He's the one!

I used to like Top Gear, but JM is really on my...... list with some of his recent comments.
I have been looking for submissions by Amazon, because I was actually relieved at how supportive Google's response was to the hobby, and I'd like to see how some of the other big corporations responded.