who's made mini, micro and nano EDF jets?

telnar1236

Elite member
The better question might be what the applications are. A 30mm EDF is more than small enough for almost any reasonable application and even a 30mm EDF can be hard to engineer a plane around.

That said, I would also be curious to know if anyone has gone down the rabbit hole of building an EDF that tiny. I've seen references to a 15mm EDF on RC Groups but I don't know if it actually flew.

Edit: here's a page on RC groups where a flying 20mm EDF is detailed: EDF20 experiment club!!!!! - Page 4 - RC Groups

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have 3d printed BDFs (well LBDFs) with 2" props and used 1102 motors. Used them in a 8 inch OctoUFO drone. my Design/building skillz are not that great, but I could possibly attempt building something winged this winter. I found a few sites several years ago where people have built super micro planes including self built nano ducted fans and had working/flying models. Some even with retracts and working lights.

Not and EDF, but this Mustang is crazy impressive.
https://hackaday.com/2017/02/10/a-micro-rc-plane-builder-shares-his-tricks/

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I have 3d printed BDFs (well LBDFs) with 2" props and used 1102 motors. Used them in a 8 inch OctoUFO drone. my Design/building skillz are not that great, but I could possibly attempt building something winged this winter. I found a few sites several years ago where people have built super micro planes including self built nano ducted fans and had working/flying models. Some even with retracts and working lights.

Not and EDF, but this Mustang is crazy impressive.
https://hackaday.com/2017/02/10/a-micro-rc-plane-builder-shares-his-tricks/
I wonder if he obeyed his FAA-masters‘ regulations on this 3 gram UAS.

Marzipan

The better question might be what the applications are. A 30mm EDF is more than small enough for almost any reasonable application and even a 30mm EDF can be hard to engineer a plane around.

That said, I would also be curious to know if anyone has gone down the rabbit hole of building an EDF that tiny. I've seen references to a 15mm EDF on RC Groups but I don't know if it actually flew.

Edit: here's a page on RC groups where a flying 20mm EDF is detailed: EDF20 experiment club!!!!! - Page 4 - RC Groups

well...if you are trying to go small, a 20mm helps get you there. and they exist as micro_builder posted his 20mm EDF jet concept:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/20mm-edf-micro-jet.65831/

telnar1236

Elite member
well...if you are trying to go small, a 20mm helps get you there. and they exist as micro_builder posted his 20mm EDF jet concept:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/20mm-edf-micro-jet.65831/
Fair enough. I would just caution that as aircraft get smaller, they fly much worse. I've built a couple 30mm EDFs, and it becomes less enjoyable as you need to start worrying about every extra gram of weight. It is possible, though, and if you really want something tiny, go for it!

Marzipan

Fair enough. I would just caution that as aircraft get smaller, they fly much worse. I've built a couple 30mm EDFs, and it becomes less enjoyable as you need to start worrying about every extra gram of weight. It is possible, though, and if you really want something tiny, go for it!

well...it could be an underpowered plane to ensure it moves slowly, LoL! ;)

quorneng

Master member
30 mm EDF is the smallest I have done, a twin in my case, a Canberra. Good streamlining and plenty of wing area.
02Apr19.JPG

Sub 250 g (just!) so an extremely light build. Those exhausts are just 22 mm diameter.
About the most impressive bit is the sound those tiny EDFs make. It flies well enough.

quorneng

Master member
A late post but it is amazing what you can do with a micro EDF. Four 40 mm in this case.
24Apr14.jpg

A still from a video.
All using 2mm Depron sheet with no reinforcing.
It is 2220 mm long.

model14

Scroll down to my "Giving EDF a try thread. It was successful and fun, I did have wing folding issues when pulling out of a high-speed dive :unsure:
By the wat, how can I link another thread when responding to a thread like this one?

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Scroll down to my "Giving EDF a try thread. It was successful and fun, I did have wing folding issues when pulling out of a high-speed dive :unsure:
By the wat, how can I link another thread when responding to a thread like this one?
Go to the thread, copy the url.
In a reply/comment, click the chain/link icon, paste the url, name the link, click insert. (y)
Giving EDF a try