Who's minding the store ?

jtuttle11

I don't know who is responsible for the FT Store page, It seems to be kinda up in the air what is offered there. The only building sheets I currently see are the 'maker Foam' in packs of 20 and 50. Is the brown/water resistant not available? The website really needs attention.
I applaud thee guys for all they've accomplished, but please don't forget your roots. I enjoy building from scratch, so I guess I'll just have to go back to buying my building foam sheets from the local Dollar Store.

Foamforce

It’s my impression that the brown foam has been replaced with the white foam, v2.

Fwiw, I just cut out my first sheet of the white foam last night and I’m impressed so far. It seems tougher and didn’t get all marred up on the back while I was cutting it. The normal DTFB gets dented up if I accidentally have even a sliver of foam on my cutting surface under the foam that I’m cutting.

jtuttle11

It’s my impression that the brown foam has been replaced with the white foam, v2.

Fwiw, I just cut out my first sheet of the white foam last night and I’m impressed so far. It seems tougher and didn’t get all marred up on the back while I was cutting it. The normal DTFB gets dented up if I accidentally have even a sliver of foam on my cutting surface under the foam that I’m cutting.
Is this the material they're calling 'Maker Foam"? How well does this new material accept paint?

Foamforce

Is this the material they're calling 'Maker Foam"? How well does this new material accept paint?

Yeah. You might see it referred to as Makerfoam version 2. Apparently something went wrong with the initial version and it had to be redesigned, hence v2.

I haven’t tried painting it yet, but a major draw of the FT maker foam over regular DTFB if that you can paint it without applying poly first. Poly stinks up my whole house. I’ve heard that you should scuff it up with a green scrub pad before you paint to slightly de-gloss it for adhesion.

jtuttle11

Yeah. You might see it referred to as Makerfoam version 2. Apparently something went wrong with the initial version and it had to be redesigned, hence v2.

I haven’t tried painting it yet, but a major draw of the FT maker foam over regular DTFB if that you can paint it without applying poly first. Poly stinks up my whole house. I’ve heard that you should scuff it up with a green scrub pad before you paint to slightly de-gloss it for adhesion.
That's the thing about the 'Brown' Water resistant DTFB, I could paint it without prepping it except for scuffing to promote adhesion.

Foamforce

That's the thing about the 'Brown' Water resistant DTFB, I could paint it without prepping it except for scuffing to promote adhesion.

That’s what I tried to say about the white stuff. You just scuff it and paint it, that part is the same. It’s better though, since you’re painting over white instead of brown, so you don’t need as much paint.

jtuttle11

That’s what I tried to say about the white stuff. You just scuff it and paint it, that part is the same. It’s better though, since you’re painting over white instead of brown, so you don’t need as much paint.
Thanks for the info. I feel much better about ordering the new stuff. I got planes to build!

FishbonesAir

I've been using water based sanding sealer on my DTFB. I bought the sealer at Ace hardware, store brand I believe. I can post a picture if anyone is interested.

Foamforce

I've been using water based sanding sealer on my DTFB. I bought the sealer at Ace hardware, store brand I believe. I can post a picture if anyone is interested.

Water based, and it isn’t delaminating the DTFB? I’m guessing it doesn’t stink like oil based poly? Sounds good! Yeah, post a picture, that sounds good.

FishbonesAir

Here it is, along with pics of my test piece of board. First photo is the unfinished side for reference, last photo is the side I treated with the sealer, then sprayed with 1 coat of spray enamel. I think I used Krylon, but it might have been Rust-oleum.

Edit: And correct, has very little smell. It doesn't offend my wife, and she's a pretty good judge of what stinks.
Me, not so much. 😁

sealer.jpg unfinished side.jpg finished side.jpg

Last edited:

ACE62

The only thing that bothers me about this Maker Foam is the fact it is soooo wavy like a wash board. I also noticed the paper peels iff too easily, versus the brown foam board.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
The only thing that bothers me about this Maker Foam is the fact it is soooo wavy like a wash board. I also noticed the paper peels iff too easily, versus the brown foam board.
That sounds like it's regular Adams white Readi-Board from dollar stores. FT Maker Foam is supposed to be smoother. Where did you get it?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
That sounds like it's regular Adams white Readi-Board from dollar stores. FT Maker Foam is supposed to be smoother. Where did you get it?
My box of Maker Foam was very wavy. Some had one flat side but most were wavy on both sides. It's the same as the box of brown that I got from FT. I think it's more to do with Adam's production process since they make it for FT. My guess is it's an inconsistency in the volume of foam per sheet.
I emailed FT and sent pics, received this response:
"This is called scalloping and it is part of the extrusion process. The white foam shows is way more than the brown did.
There is no issue with the foam. That is just a down side to having the white glossy paper this shows more.
I have talked with Josh about this and he actually showed me in HQ the planes we have they have it that I never noticed before even in brown foam.
The foam board is good and is also water resistant. This is just unfortunately part of the manufacturing process that we cannot control."