Why am I not in a hurry?

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I have put this thread here because I Have not even had a near flight yet...The question I am posing is has anyone else experienced what I am feeling now.......You see when I get a new plane I am normally building it before the postman has let go of it. But although I have to wait another
2 days for my batteries I have only had a quick glance of the plane sat in the box and I think
I have figured out why I am not in my usual hurry..........................I am scared!!! when
I launch this plane it will have my FPV dreams riding on a good maiden and the first time with
my 9x and so many things could go wrong....The weirdest thing is its a nice type of scared....what about you lot?

Last edited:

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
I feel ya Brian!
Remember the F-86 Sabre that appears in the older show opening? That's my personal plane that I bought over a year ago... it's still in the box :[

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I have a Taylorcraft (same as below) that's been in and out, then back in again of it's box for about 4 years now. I'll build it someday.

Klonas

That happens to me when I put electronics in the plane... It seems a ton heavier and I'm then not sure if it will fly... Sort of a scary feeling...

@StoneKap I think there was a thread asking why wasn't that plane reviewed yet :D

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
@StoneKap I think there was a thread asking why wasn't that plane reviewed yet :D
yeah, that was me. HH is now a sponsor and that's an E-Flite F-86...aka a Horizon Brand lol. I have several large planes in boxes all over a year old. I tend to stock pile planes b/c they go out of production after a year or so it seems. Right before this happens the price drops and you can get some good deals.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I think its normal and a good thing because it makes you check and double check things again. What I hate more than maidening my models is doing the Maiden for my son . . or anyone else. Father destroying son's model wouldn't go down well.

Mind you when I first got the GoPro on the bixler I hated launching it in the air . . . Somehow strapping a expensive camera that you just got for Christmas on a foam model and launching it in the sky doesn't feel right lol

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I have the same issue with my 1430mm F4U. It is built and ready to go, but I do not trust the stock electronics. I am waiting to get to the LHS and buy a Spectrum Rx so I can use my DX6i instead of the Airfield Tx. Such a gorgeous plane I don't want to doink it on its maiden because the expo can't be dialed down any.

(Yes I am a little chicken right now!):p

con244

I know what you all mean. I have several planes that have been built and now remain in the hangar (read: on top of the wardrobe) no real good reason for that just worried that the hard building work will be turned into small pieces of foam scattered all over the field. One day I will take the lot out to the park and fly them one after the other, that should break the nerves:applause:
con

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I know that feeling!
I had it with my Parkzone Extra 300. When I got it was the first plane with ailerons that I had ever flown so on my first flight I was EXTREMELY nervous! I took so much time for preparing and stuff and always thought: Do I really want to fly this?! I think I am gonna crash!
However, I pushed the throttle stick forward and flew! Flew and flew and flew! Landed as well! Was the best flight ever!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
At 1:25ish of this interview with Mac Hodges talking about his massive B-29 bomber, he sums it up perfectly.

"It's just a plane".

Planes fly, otherwise they aren't really being planes. Oh, and R/C pilots crash. If I'm not crashing, then I'm not really being me either lol.

Pilot-294

i remember that feeling all too well. i get it every time i hold the PZ corsair i fly, i get that feeling like 'its my only larger scaled plane, what if i botch it and i know i can't afford parts right now' i stand there for a minute just looking at the sky and trying to find one reason to put it back. most of the time i just bring a friend and the i can't back out haha ;) but as for building, i just try to get so board i start. as for finishing your gonna have to find another pilot for advice hahaha :cool: altho all i need are some servos to fly my .40 profile gee bee...

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Yeah, every time I pull out my big planes there's a hesitation, and a lot more checking of the wind lol. The thrill of flying them usually takes over though. I can't go to the field without flying. I guess that's why I never go without my foam Hobbyking Hawk. I can fly it in a hurricane and if it crashes I just add more tape and glue.

BigDon

I went through a phase where I had a bit of a "confidence block". I'd stick something like my MPX MiniMag up and try anything...I'd even do low rolling passes 10 feet off the deck kind stuff. However, my nice new BlackHorse Wild Hots stayed on the ground because "I didn't feel I was ready".

My bro put it up one day, trimmed it out and then just handed me the Tx....and walked off. "What about landing!!!"......"It's your plane and you have about 5 minutes on that battery, you work it out" he said. Landed it with no problem and had it back in the air with a new battery 10 minutes later.....never looked back and never again had that feeling of fear with any model.

Of course, some models demand a little more respect and I'll ease into them more gently...but when push comes to shove the main objective is to get the model in the air and then back on the ground in one piece. If you can do that with a $50 plane you can do it with just about any plane, give or take a few minor adjustments to suite the model and conditions. All the stuff you do in between can only come with getting it up there and doing it, be it your first model or your 1000th model.

For the OP, I think he's just got far too much that is "new" invested in the maiden. Strip it back and do it in phases. If possible get the plane in the air on a Tx you know/trust. Try out the 9x on something cheaper first. Combine new plane and new Tx. Then start adding on the other gear.....before you know it you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
For the OP, I think he's just got far too much that is "new" invested in the maiden. Strip it back and do it in phases. If possible get the plane in the air on a Tx you know/trust. Try out the 9x on something cheaper first. Combine new plane and new Tx. Then start adding on the other gear.....before you know it you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
I hear what your saying BigDon and i intend to do it in stages now first i will fly it stock with just a small spycam on the front
and get the feel for the plane. Then i will add the flaps (already fitted the servos see photo).But have not cut them in yet.
This is a bigger plane than i normally fly 107_0060.JPG 107_0061.JPG 107_0063.JPG and i imagine it will be a lot faster than my sky surfer i will keep this post going by with film
and photos as i progress

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
The raptor is hanging from my bedroom ceiling and I am now waiting on some fibreglass reinforced tape
so I can strengthen the wing, because its a FPV plane the cockpit is massive and theres plenty of room
for all the gear.....but it is so tail heavy I reckon on about 1/4Lb of nose weight just to fly it stock will
keep posting here till the maiden.................keep flying