Why Autopilot takeover???

cloudseeder

Finally got my first RC aircraft working, UMX Radian with Spektrum 6e transmitter.

UNLESS I am currently moving a transmitter stick (throttle, rudder, elevator), the plane seems to default to “Autopilot to 100 feet (or so), and fly in circles over my head like an eagle before diving on prey”.

No problem with that. great if I have to set down the transmitter for some unexpected reason.

But it makes a low altitude (even at 15 feet or so) extremely difficult!!!
I descend to flyby altitude, but as soon as I release the elevator stick the plane starts autopilot climbing into its’ 100-foot altitude “circling eagle” mode.

so... to do a flyby, I have to oscillate the elevators or something else. basically i always crash or fail to get a flyby.

Is this the AS3X? thing? a Spektrum 6e thing? It’s annoying as heck!

man-bot

Think its more the "safe" feature then the stabilization of as3x.

There is a way to set bith features on switches but youd have to hit you tube university to see it done.

cloudseeder

Think its more the "safe" feature then the stabilization of as3x.

There is a way to set bith features on switches but youd have to hit you tube university to see it done.
Isn’t SAFE mode designed to prevent crashes? I can barrel roll right into the ground better than I can fly, and there’s no autopilot happening there. This does seem like a “safe” feature. i’m not sure if the cheap micro radian even has safe anyways does it?

Piotrsko

Master member
I use old longwire equipment, but, I would bet that your safe mode only works when you aren't controlling the sticks. Let go and it goes "safe", twist it into the ground, it says "whatever, boss"

Headbang

Master member
Manual has specific instructions for the safe switch. Once set you should be able to turn it on or off mid flight. As3x will always be active, but all that does is smooth things out a bit.