Why can't I cut the foam board precisely?

MacClarkNC

I use the snap off small blades because the handle gives me better control. I don't like the small round xacto for long cuts. All my blades I hone using a piece of leather (old belt section) glued to a narrow block of wood. The honing removes drag during cut and gives long life to blade

mastermalpass

Elite member
I’m going to kick this hornets nest. 😂 I used to make multiple passes like this, but I’ve found that if I keep my blade nice and sharp and cut on a cutting mat, that I get cleaner cuts with one pass. The reason is that if you do multiple passes, you end up doing slightly different angles, so you get little slivers cut out on the edges of the cut on the opposite side.

I'm the same, I used to do multiple cuts, but I would always have slithers and part-cuts all along my edges. It's a pain to pick those out when setting up control surface hinges as well!

Piotrsko

Master member
I've used my wifes tungsten pizza cutter which is wicked sharp and hard enough to leave scratch lines in the glass plate I use for building, but lousy for curves. Does cut in one pass through. Pisses off the wife too.

If I have many dendrites I just get a piece of 80 grit on my sanding block and sand them off

Bricks

Master member
I've used my wifes tungsten pizza cutter which is wicked sharp and hard enough to leave scratch lines in the glass plate I use for building, but lousy for curves. Does cut in one pass through. Pisses off the wife too.

If I have many dendrites I just get a piece of 80 grit on my sanding block and sand them off

I made a 45 degree angle made form two pieces of thin plywood glued together with sandpaper glues to them perfect 45`s every time.

Piotrsko

Master member
Remember you posting that. Was for a moment trying to figure out how in the world you were cutting FB with 45 degree sanding block until that D'OH moment set in