Why do the Gremlin motors stay at max throttle??

jamesd3rd

I know this is breaking a cardinal rule but I just wanted to test the motors. Since the Gremlin uses a bottom mounted battery it gives me something to hold on to after arming. That being said, while holding the battery, after I arm and raise the throttle, the motors continue to run at max throttle even after I lower the stick back to idle. When I arm, they idle normally. It's not until after I start throttling up that they behave this way.

Is this a normal behavior of a quad that is restrained? I know with the props off, this is normal. The last time I flew it was back in December and I had a crash that broke some props. I just now got back around to flying it and it flew fine before. However, I don't know what's going to happen if I set it down and raise the throttle.

I've flashed everything again and have gone through all the supported protocols for the 6A Emax Bullet ESCs. Nothing changes.

Thanks.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Most likely this is the same behavior you see when running with the props off. The FC is attempting to correct it's attitude, but you are restraining it and preventing that from happening, so it just tries harder.

jamesd3rd

Most likely this is the same behavior you see when running with the props off. The FC is attempting to correct it's attitude, but you are restraining it and preventing that from happening, so it just tries harder.

I was thinking the same thing. But at the same time, I was thinking "surely someone has posted this somewhere." By now I would have thought that the knowledge base would be large enough that basic questions like this would have been curated and addressed. I guess I'll take it out and just blip the throttle and see what happens. The space is large enough with no trees. If it tries to go nuts, I'll disarm and my question will be answered.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I was thinking the same thing. But at the same time, I was thinking "surely someone has posted this somewhere." By now I would have thought that the knowledge base would be large enough that basic questions like this would have been curated and addressed. I guess I'll take it out and just blip the throttle and see what happens. The space is large enough with no trees. If it tries to go nuts, I'll disarm and my question will be answered.

I think the main reason you don't see this discussed is that it's not the safest thing to do, restraining an armed quad with props on ;) I had to do some similar troublehooting of a motor issue that only showed up under load, and it was fairly terrifying

Let us know how it goes :)

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
You should always treat an armed quad with the utmost respect. If you want to avoid nasty cuts, potential loss of an eye, severed fingers, damage to property, the list goes on. NEVER handle a plugged in quad more than absolutely necessary and certainly don’t pick up any quad with the props on that is plugged in.
This basic question has been addressed, lots of times. “Motors run away when armed on the bench” or “quad motors run when armed” have tons of search results.
There’s a good reason for cardinal rules.
The safest way to get your settings sorted is to do the Betaflight set up carefully, a stage at a time and ensure your ARM/DISARM are all properly set up and reliable, then when it’s all ready go somewhere OUTSIDE with LOTS OF ROOM and stand well away from it, then arm. That way if it flips or anything unexpected happens you can be safe.
Good luck with your first “live” arming!

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
That would result in my face being chopped to pieces. I can barely fly the thing right side up!