Solved Why do we now have to pay for Plans now?

Bo123

Elite member
I think they said a long time ago that the plans would be free.

(Edited because I

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
On some level I personally do not mind the change of them charging for plans, etc. They've been at this a long time and come a long way. And honestly business needs are going to change. PLUS, they have a valid reason for taking this route.

On another thing though...this right here is one thing that FT is kinda bad for. In the moment of excitement or whatever is going on, they make statements of things to come, future ideas, etc etc. and sometimes they don't materialize. I know there's been a few instances where this has happened. Never seen them make any more videos on their gas powered Hangar 9 Stik and I'm pretty sure they said they would make more videos featuring it, working with gas engines, etc. And I know there are some other examples as well.

Regardless of these little things, I got no major hard feelings with them. They have done a lot for me and the hobby.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I know that the title is a bit bold, but....

At 1:20 in the video where they released that speed build kits, they said that if the scratch build plans aren't free, we can unsubscribe to them and call them bad. And now to get the newest build plans, you have to pay a membership. Sorry if this was a bit dramatic. Share your thoughts.

They did not lie about plans being free. They have put out hundreds since I been following them. With the community releases people have done that is nearly ten fold.

By putting the plans behind the FTCA on that server they are protecting their intellectual property from companies like Vector, Banggood and several others we have found directly copying FT designs. The money you pay goes to FTCA which allows access to the STILL free plans that are just stored in a safer place. Thus making it less likely some Scumbag company will just take their designs and mass produce copy kits or actual planes. Specially with the Monster and Master series plans starting to become available. Even if it can be twisted into you are paying for the plans $28 dollars a year to have unlimited access is not bad for the amount of plans you have access to.

So to again answer the statement they lied. They fully and honestly have not.

Look at it like this. You just baked cookies for the last 8 hours. Would you want the ENTIRE neighborhood to have access to your cookie jar if a select few people grabbed most of them and set up a cookie stand up the street to sell them? Not sure about you but my cookies stay in the family hehe.

Bo123

Elite member
I think saying that they "Lied" Was a mistake. I am so sorry for my actions, and I fully understand what you are trying to say.
They did not lie about plans being free. They have put out hundreds since I been following them. With the community releases people have done that is nearly ten fold.

By putting the plans behind the FTCA on that server they are protecting their intellectual property from companies like Vector, Banggood and several others we have found directly copying FT designs. The money you pay goes to FTCA which allows access to the STILL free plans that are just stored in a safer place. Thus making it less likely some Scumbag company will just take their designs and mass produce copy kits or actual planes. Specially with the Monster and Master series plans starting to become available. Even if it can be twisted into you are paying for the plans $28 dollars a year to have unlimited access is not bad for the amount of plans you have access to.

So to again answer the statement they lied. They fully and honestly have not.

Look at it like this. You just baked cookies for the last 8 hours. Would you want the ENTIRE neighborhood to have access to your cookie jar if a select few people grabbed most of them and set up a cookie stand up the street to sell them? Not sure about you but my cookies stay in the family hehe.
On some level I personally do no
Try this link: there are tons of free plans. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/
Some people that have given you free stuff for a decade “lied”?

Gratefulness is the most valuable of virtues.

t mind the change of them charging for plans, etc. They've been at this a long time and come a long way. And honestly business needs are going to change. PLUS, they have a valid reason for taking this route.

On another thing though...this right here is one thing that FT is kinda bad for. In the moment of excitement or whatever is going on, they make statements of things to come, future ideas, etc etc. and sometimes they don't materialize. I know there's been a few instances where this has happened. Never seen them make any more videos on their gas powered Hangar 9 Stik and I'm pretty sure they said they would make more videos featuring it, working with gas engines, etc. And I know there are some other examples as well.

Regardless of these little things, I got no major hard feelings with them. They have done a lot for me and the hobby.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@Bo123 i understand your point and why you might feel that way but i think you're just looking at it the wrong way, not seeing the bigger picture. Flite test has always been focused on building the aviation community. 10+ years ago that mission was best accomplished by getting as many people as possible into the hobby. I doubt they knew then that we would be having to consider how best to keep the weight of the federal government from squashing our hobby entirely. Im thankful that they have grown enough to be a meaningful voice in this fight and I will continue to support them and our community any way i can, even if i dont agree with every little thing they do.

evolwun

Oh... I was wondering why all-of-the-sudden I could not find any of the plans. Sad, but I understand the reason.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Oh... I was wondering why all-of-the-sudden I could not find any of the plans. Sad, but I understand the reason.
The rest of the plans from before this are still free. Check the resources section or the list of plans that Sponz made.

Tc Concepts

So I must say that if I have to be a member of the FTCA to get the free plans I absolutely have no problem with paying such a little amount for the Top Tier membership of $24 dollars a year and all the Bennie's that goes with it. After going through some old videos of FT I found this.....

As an Artist in a cut throat industry I can completely understand copy cats..

But please watch the video and ask yourself if you understand the frustrations that Josh Bixler and the FT team have with opening there selves to such companies by having GOOD intentions for the growth of our hobby

收费是可以理解的。我们为保护和承认他们的知识产权付费。但是,由于没有新的免费图纸,对于我们这些不在美国又买不到他们产品的发烧友来说,真的很苦恼。一直都是初出茅庐的小海盗,但是没有图纸。

*translation to English through Google* -Fred

The charges are understandable. We pay for the protection and recognition of their intellectual property rights. However, since there are no new free drawings, we are really distressed for those of us who are not in the United States and cannot buy their products. He has always been a fledgling little pirate, but there are no drawings.

Last edited by a moderator:

hotwax

Hey guys, please know that not releasing plans is something that was NOT an easy decision. If there was a way to put plans in the hands of hobbyist and prevent counterfeit products the team would be all for it.

For making cheap copies, just buy a kit, scan the parts and make your cutting file. No need for an elaborate drawing, selecting, modifying and positioning parts.

I think, you are just hurting the good guys.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
收费是可以理解的。我们为保护和承认他们的知识产权付费。但是,由于没有新的免费图纸,对于我们这些不在美国又买不到他们产品的发烧友来说,真的很苦恼。一直都是初出茅庐的小海盗,但是没有图纸。
Buying FT kits outside the US is perhaps difficult, but I would think there are alternative shipping options.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
For making cheap copies, just buy a kit, scan the parts and make your cutting file. No need for an elaborate drawing, selecting, modifying and positioning parts.

I think, you are just hurting the good guys.
But unfortunately "the good guys" often don't know of flitetest and then go and by a kit from another company.
Were as if they had scrolled down the google front page a little more they would have found ft ...
The other thing is that with free plans, anyone can download them without inputting any of their personal info... Now that ft is collecting the info it should theoretically make it easier for them to track down the bad guys and stop them