Why does no one fly with the GoPro case on?

LostQuad

Given how a GoPro is probably the single most expensive piece of equipment on a quad, why does no one seem to fly with the protective case on?

Timmy P

Its awkward to mount in the case. I do know that. And its hard to mount on the bottom of most quads. and the best view comes from the front of the craft. So mostly mounting convenience is my best guess.. Aside from that less weight equals longer flight so its a compromise ya take sometimes lol.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
From what I can see, the case is heavy, awkward to mount and can degrade video and audio quality. I have a GoPro Hero 2 so its extra large compared to the newer models. I mount it naked with a visor around the lens. I use to have a plexiglass shield attached to the visor and in front of the lens, but it gave me reflections in direct sun. I'll probably build something like the layerlens because I need that safety if I mount it on my mini quad.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I haven't noticed any video or audio degradation with the case using the vented back, but it does add a lot of mass. And flying naked makes me very nervous. It's one thing to crash and trash some Chinese parts. Quite another to risk $400 worth of camera. I can literally build two multirotors for the price of my GoPro Black.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I haven't noticed any video or audio degradation with the case using the vented back

I did buy my Hero 2 from my friend and really haven't used it without the case on except for in wet conditions. When it was still my friend's we used to film our longboarding with the case on all the time and it was noticeably foggier. Not sure if its because of the curvature of the lens in the Hero 2 case vs the flat lens of the newer models, or if the case is just scratched up because it was used outside a lot. Or maybe he just used a lower resolution and I never knew. I do believe you in that the newer GoPros are clearer in the case.

ExperimentalRC

Its mostly because of the weight. I use the full waterproof case on my electrohub, which can take the extra weight. One time I put the full case on my mini quad and the extra weight was very noticeable. Until i can upgrade the power system i will just stick with my runcam hd for mini quads. The adhesive gopro mounts make mounting it way easier than if you were to use velcro and no case.

zenguerilla

I'd say most that value the camera are at least flying with a bikini...

http://www.getfpv.com/layerlens-for-gopro3.html

That's really more of a scuba mask / eye protection isn't it? The rest is pretty much 'au natural'.

ByTheWay, does anyone know of a decent, economical GoPro fix-er? My 3+ Black did not really pick up a scratch but will not power after some kind of a non-damaging drop/impact. I've looked inside but cannot find anything usually indicated.

It is such a shame to have lost it that way, and still look basically new. Can't sink another $400 into a new at this time, and tried all many random methods of mumbo jumbo restarts, etc. to no avail. And, contacted GoPro but the rep. said NoGo.

Was hoping there would be some niche place capitalizing on $70-$120 fix or exchange for such things, but none last I looked. Garcias In Advancement.

Last edited:

jipp

i would look at the JS4000. it will get the job done. or a mobius..
i thinking im gonna go with a mobius just because its flat compared to a flying block on top of my quad.
if my quad had a different shape and suited a go-pro style would work fine.. but i may end up with both.. so i can mount the mobius to a hat.. you can get a JS4000 Scam for around 50.00 on ebay.

chris.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Right I see a lot of people run mobius cameras on their mini quads because its flat and fairly crash resistant because of its weight. Another option is the XiaoMi Yi. Zenguerilla maybe you can take it to a Best Buy or something? Or if their a camera shop in the area.

Also forget to mention another reason for case-less GoPros is to be able to fit the GoPro in a smallish size gimbal. I haven't seen a GoPro gimbal that doesn't require it naked or behind a "mask."

zenguerilla

i would look at the JS4000. it will get the job done. or a mobius..
i thinking im gonna go with a mobius just because its flat compared to a flying block on top of my quad.
if my quad had a different shape and suited a go-pro style would work fine.. but i may end up with both.. so i can mount the mobius to a hat.. you can get a JS4000 Scam for around 50.00 on ebay.

chris.

Is that in reference to fixing a GoPro?

I don't think an alternative, which there is almost no shortage of, would really address a like-new GoPro becoming unusable for what might be a fairly small fix, if there were a source that specialized in that.

Which is basically the point, that there are many alternatives, but not much I have seen about fixing a minor-ly defunct $400-$500 GoPro.

I already have a Mobius, with probably a second in favor being a XiaoMi Yi.

Last edited:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I keep wanting to buy a Mobius. . .and will probably do so, since I can also justify it by double purposing it as a dash-cam.

zenguerilla

Right I see a lot of people run mobius cameras on their mini quads because its flat and fairly crash resistant because of its weight. Another option is the XiaoMi Yi. Zenguerilla maybe you can take it to a Best Buy or something? Or if their a camera shop in the area.

Also forget to mention another reason for case-less GoPros is to be able to fit the GoPro in a smallish size gimbal. I haven't seen a GoPro gimbal that doesn't require it naked or behind a "mask."

They usually do nothing but 'send them out/back' (if that). Even GoPro does not really pursue the avenue of repair at all, from what I have read or been informed of. And, as I said, once they deem what they will do for your situation, that is pretty much it.

I'm not trying to figure out what to do. I was just throwing it back out there in case what I asked about popped up / pops up, etc.

No, I understand the LayerLens and am/was not having anything to do with devaluing it. It was just a joke of metaphor.

It is pretty easy to see that it probably provides a fair amount of impact protection to nearly half of the front, top, and side that it sits adjacent to, including most importantly the lens.

Last edited:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Think of it as "eye protection".

Would you choose the option of wearing eye protection if your eyes were mounted in the front of a mini quad getting the Clockwork Orange treatment? :p

968fu-clockwork-orange-screenshot.jpg

zenguerilla

Think of it as "eye protection".

Would you choose the option of wearing eye protection if your eyes were mounted in the front of a mini quad getting the Clockwork Orange treatment? :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/Cyberdactyl/Misc/968fu-clockwork-orange-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Now that is something I would not call off-topic or redundant at all. I wouldn't suppose it would have anything to do with anthropomorphization either, which probably makes it very useful, but not very easy to decode. I don't know why a camera would insist on disagreeing with harmful mistreatment either. I guess if it were only a more enlightened camera, then it would understand.

On the other hand I think permanently scratched cameral lenses are usually not desired and most people probably use filters for that.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
There is one sole reason I don't use a case. Weight. The case weighs more than the GoPro and 100g is A LOT on a mini quad especially after I've spent stupid amounts of time removing 10g of wires previously. To be honest I have so much more fun without the GoPro on at all but then there would be no footage to show. When I do strap it on it feels like a bus though....

I NEVER fly without my layer lens. That is a must have item for a naked GoPro as the lens is the first thing to get damaged or scratched. Except for the LCD screen the rest of the GoPro is pretty tough and I managed to keep it that way until I had my famous car park roof encounter on the national news not long ago. That crash smashed the LCD, smashed the front plastic plate and broke the battery door. After a quick search I found this place that sells GoPro parts and I got my GoPro looking like new again for a rather cheap price.
http://www.peauproductions.com/store/

After the roof incident though I decided Killing my GoPro every couple of months was not a practical solution so I made a 3D printed protector case. The first proto was made from PLA but the current one I use is printed with ABS and is still rock solid. My friend also has another one that he printed using flexible filament so I'm keen to try that one out. My current ABS protector weighs 7g and combined with the Layer lens it weighs only 15g which is a small enough hit that I'll take compared to the GoPro case of 100g.
IMG_2513.jpg
IMG_2516.jpg

I've spent more money on new Mobius' and Mobius parts than the cost of my GoPro so will be glad if I never use one again. The quality is horrible, they don't deal with detail, high speed or low light well and they are really weak, especially the PCB which fails regularly even if the rest of it is fine.

The XiaoMi Yi looks promising (a few friends have some) but all have had to re focus their lens and the audio is horrible. I would put the image quality somewhere between the Mobius and the GP4. I would consider one since YouTube destroys all the image quality anyway but it doesn't do 120fps in 1080p and doesn't have Superview, both of which I like to use often.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I got the XiaoMi Yi last week.

Mine is not out of focus. It shoots video that is on par or maybe better than my GoPro Hero 2 and better than my Mobius.

However, the XiaoMi Yi does not connect to a computer. To get the video out of it, I have to remove the micro SD card (sold separately) and plug the card into my card reader on my PC. USB is for charging, NOTHING ELSE.

I have been trying for a week to connect this thing to my Galaxy tab 4. No luck. The device will NOT connect via WiFi although the Galaxy Tab 4 can see it and the app for the XiaoMi Yi can see it. This problem appears to be common. There is no fix that I have found and customer service is non-existent. I try for an hour or so until the battery dies out and I have to recharge to try again. WIFI chain smokes the battery on the XiaoMi Yi.

There is new firmware to fix some of the image quality issues and to add stabilization. But, to install it you MUST be able to connect this thing via WiFi to Android. There are no other options to connect this thing, so if you don't have a smart phone, forget it.

Let me make this clear.

The XiaoMi Yi makes no provision to connect to a computer. None. The only way to control this thing and update firmware or settings is through an Android app via Wifi.

YOU MUST HAVE A SMART PHONE OR TABLET WITH WIFI TO CONNECT TO THIS CAMERA.

Your PC will NOT connect to this camera via USB. No attempt has been made to allow this camera to connect to a computer through USB. USB is for charging ONLY.

The default for this camera is to shoot stills, not video. If you want to change that default, you can, but you have to connect to it through the Android app via WiFi to do it.

IMO the XiaoMi Yi is beautiful and has a TON of potential but due to the lack of support, all the instructions are in Chinese and the persistent and common and unresolved connection problems people are having, I wouldn't recommend it yet.

mpbiv

I haven't done this myself, but I have heard that some people buy their GoPro cameras from "big box" stores (i.e. Best Buy) and then purchase the extra protection/warranty plans. That way when they break a GoPro, they can take it back to the store for a replacement.

Personally I have three GoPro cameras that I have acquired over several years starting with the original HD version. My newest one is a Hero4 Silver, but I do not fly with it, rather I fly with my older Hero3+ Silver. It's been in 2-3 harsh crashes already and the case has several scars, but the lens is good and the LCD works. I always fly with a Layer Lens to provide some minimal protection. If I manage to break it completely I will replace it with another Hero3+ Silver most likely, maybe even a Hero3 White. There are some decent deals on the internet for the older models, and also there are refurbished units out there too.

The Black edition cameras are nice, but for my personal use I cannot justify the price jump for the slight bump in specs and features which I will probably never use. If I do ever get one, I probably won't ever use it without the case.