Why haven't we seen more Burt Rutan designs?

Pilotr2020

I have always thought of Rutan style planes so cool, but have noticed not too many of them have been converted to RC. The whole rutanRC thing has been dormant for a while and the only thing that seems to be converted to RC is the Long Ez. Something like his "Boomerang," Catbird or even Solitaire would be awesome!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot (97).png
    Screenshot (97).png
    921.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (98).png
    Screenshot (98).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (100).png
    Screenshot (100).png
    647.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (102).png
    Screenshot (102).png
    624.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (104).png
    Screenshot (104).png
    708.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (120).png
    Screenshot (120).png
    390.9 KB · Views: 0

Pieliker96

Elite member
Compound curved fuselages and high aspect ratio wings aren't optimal for foamboard. That said, the Rutan and Scaled Composites designs are cool as frig. I've got one or two on my monster of a to-do list.

OliverW

Legendary member
I have always thought of Rutan style planes so cool, but have noticed not too many of them have been converted to RC. The whole rutanRC thing has been dormant for a while and the only thing that seems to be converted to RC is the Long Ez. Something like his "Boomerang," Catbird or even Solitaire would be awesome!!!
His quickie is high on my list to design. I've always liked it

Pilotr2020

Yea, right now I use hotwire to cut out my planes. I definitely need practice, but it looks so good. I am working on a Rutan-style canard pusher that will have about a 5 foot wingspan. It will probably be a bit tricky to find the CG though. I am expecting this to go really fast...
Screenshot (561).png

leaded50

Legendary member
I thinks its more, that it isnt plans ready, and such then need custom work..that not so many "dare" to try. . some of the Rutan designs as RC is to be found though.. Ares eg here:

Last edited:
Good thread!
You can build any plane I can think of if you're willing to let it be boxy, but maintain the spirit and geometry of the original. That's my opinion.

leaded50

Legendary member
what about just try make a model one like? Perhaps it didnt go.. well, then look why, if could build different, or such model dont function ... its just to try. fomaboard is cheap... :)