Why is there foam on my control rods?

beacon

My new Bixler 2 came with thick foam tubing on the control rods. Doesn't seem to be for packing, as there is no way to remove the foam without disconnecting the clevis pins from the control arms.
Should the foam be left on for some sort of protection? Any ideas why it's there?

Attachments

• Foam.jpg
    Foam.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

OliverW

Legendary member
My new Bixler 2 came with thick foam tubing on the control rods. Doesn't seem to be for packing, as there is no way to remove the foam without disconnecting the clevis pins from the control arms.
Should the foam be left on for some sort of protection? Any ideas why it's there?
It is there to protect the servo in shipping. I would take it off

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I don't see why that is on there. It seems it was for a shipping reason or something like that. I personally would just cut it off or remove the servo arm and slide it off.

quorneng

Master member
Just imagine in shipping side pressure is applied to the control rod. Either it breaks or the servo is forced to full deflection and the control surface is similarly deflected possibly damaging both.
The foam sleeve ensures that any side pressure will be transmitted to the much stronger fuselage without damage to the control rod, servo or control surface.
Remove it. Do not fly with it in place.