Why so few Biplanes? (Build Challenge)

BadPanda

I love biplanes. I would like to scratch build one from foam board, but there are very few plans available and none that I can find for a 30 to 40 wingspread. I don't think the smaller FT biplanes will scale up well, but I will look at that again. I'm getting to be a fair builder but I don't know enough yet to design my own Biplane. I'm working on a couple of simpler designs (Mono plane) and there is plenty of help with design considerations and spec calculators, but i can't seem to find anything on design for biplanes.
I'd love to see the Flite Test guys design a Stearman or a Stager wing something nice and athletic with a C motor.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I love biplanes. I would like to scratch build one from foam board, but there are very few plans available and none that I can find for a 30 to 40 wingspread. I don't think the smaller FT biplanes will scale up well, but I will look at that again. I'm getting to be a fair builder but I don't know enough yet to design my own Biplane. I'm working on a couple of simpler designs (Mono plane) and there is plenty of help with design considerations and spec calculators, but i can't seem to find anything on design for biplanes.
I'd love to see the Flite Test guys design a Stearman or a Stager wing something nice and athletic with a C motor.
I have some beta plans for a SNS2 Guppy negative stagger biplane, let me know if you're interested and I'll send them to you.

BadPanda

I have some beta plans for a SNS2 Guppy negative stagger biplane, let me know if you're interested and I'll send them to you.

That looks like a fun build. Could build it 1/3 scale and it would be about the same size as my Apprentice. I would very much like to look at the plans.

Dave

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I put together the lincoln sport. It's a small biplane. And @nerdnic has a micro tigermoth.

Spacefarer

You could go the experimental route and cut out two wings for what is meant to be a monoplane. You've got me thinking about turning a simple scout into one now.

jpot1

Elite member
I stretched the baby blender and it flew great. Also did a Pitts look alike that flew well too! Links in my signature.

Vimana89

Legendary member
This Avro Triplane would be sweet. Maybe less skeletal and more simplified and sporty for foam construction-a box fuse, less sticks, and less and stronger wing supports. The general design has some nice longer aspect/span wings, which it seems like the type you were looking for in a multi wing.

Attachments

• 1580268841913.png
    1580268841913.png
    696.1 KB · Views: 0

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Historically, most biplanes were created in a time where planes were made out of wood and cloth. Scaling up wooden planes is difficult because of the weight ratio between the engine and air frame. The engine accounted for a large portion of the nose weight, much unlike today planes. The weight of the foam greatly outweighs the weight of the electric motors we use. Took at the DR1 triplane for example. The engine is barely past the front wing but because it makes up a large portion of the weight of the plane, it acts as a very effective nose weight. The mosquito is also a very difficult plane to scale up as well, because it was originally built with wood.

quorneng

Master member
It certainly can be done but it pays to pick the right original to model.
WW1 biplanes with inline engines (SE5, Albatross) have relatively long noses so the electric motor is much further forward than in a rotary power plane.
The alternative is to pick more modern biplanes like the Hawker Hart or the Tiger Moth. Again the inline engines give a reasonable nose length but they do all require 'special' construction to keep the tail end light.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Makes me think I should maybe modify the Baby Blender plans a bit to make a Pitts Christen Eagle. I know the guys in my club would love it. :)