Help! Wich one is a better trainer !

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I would actually get the hobbyzone sport cub s. The valiant is a nice plane, but I don’t think that it is built specifically as a trainer, I’m not sure about the other plane though. Also, the sport cub is a trainer, it is cheaper, lighter, and smaller than the other two, and I have flown one and can say that it is a lot of fun. It has safe so you can start out in beginner mode, and once you are good enough, you can switch to intermediate, then to expert mode. Also, did you pick the other two planes for specific reasons? I’m just curious because the valiant is a good plane, but I have never seen it being marketed as a trainer (again I don’t know anything about the other plane).
Whatever you choose though, I hope you have a great time flying it!
Also, welcome to the rc flying hobby and to the forums!

Maxx

I would actually get the hobbyzone sport cub s. The valiant is a nice plane, but I don’t think that it is built specifically as a trainer, I’m not sure about the other plane though. Also, the sport cub is a trainer, it is cheaper, lighter, and smaller than the other two, and I have flown one and can say that it is a lot of fun. It has safe so you can start out in beginner mode, and once you are good enough, you can switch to intermediate, then to expert mode. Also, did you pick the other two planes for specific reasons? I’m just curious because the valiant is a good plane, but I have never seen it being marketed as a trainer (again I don’t know anything about the other plane).
Whatever you choose though, I hope you have a great time flying it!
Also, welcome to the rc flying hobby and to the forums!
Thanks !
The cessna is designed as a trainer and is a good deal cost wise , but the valiant has the safe technology and I think would help me as a beginner . I really like them both .

mach1 rc

Master member
I've had the valiant and loved it. I would definitely go with the valiant. If you haven't already you should watch the reviews flite test did on it. That's what sold me.

Maxx

I've had the valiant and loved it. I would definitely go with the valiant. If you haven't already you should watch the reviews flite test did on it. That's what sold me.
That's exactly where I saw it first ... LOL , I love those guys ! Thanks man !

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Oh, I didn’t know that the valiant was a trainer... I just suggested the sport cub though because it was cheaper, but the valiant and Cessna should be great! Also when you pick the plane consider what radio you want to use. You could go with any of the many brands of transmitters. I’m saying this because if you go with a valiant and a non-Spektrum radio, you would need to get a plug and play aircraft, like the Cessna. But the Cessna should go fine with anything since it is already pnp.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Sport Cub S is nice if you are on a budget, it is small and light so it will take hits. Plus you can replace any part you break without having to replace the entire plane. The SAFE tech is nice but becomes a crutch and really doesn't teach you anything if you are scared to crash. Crashing is learning. If you accept the fact that you will crash, and you, like everyone else, are going to crash and break stuff, then training on an FT design would be way more worth the value. Plus building your first plane will teach you how to fix it, and only at the cost of a couple bucks.

If you are set on either of these two planes I would say go with the Cessna. Fixing it could be as something as simple as replacing a prop or gluing a wing back together to $40-50 on a new wing or landing gear. The reason I would choose the Cessa is that there is no SAFE tech and will train you faster plus it has tricycle landing gear which is so much easier for take offs and landings as a beginner. That's just my opinion though

Really the FT designs are the way to go, they will keep you in the air more consistently, there is something to be said for crashing a couple times and not being able to afford to fix or replace it, then it just sits in the closet from lack of motivation to do so. A good place to start given the size you are looking at the FT Simple Cub or the FT simple Scout are both easy to build and fix, and both will grow with you as your skills progress.

Like it was mentioned before its about having fun and to continue to have fun as you get better as a pilot. And welcome to the forums

Maxx

Oh, I didn’t know that the valiant was a trainer... I just suggested the sport cub though because it was cheaper, but the valiant and Cessna should be great! Also when you pick the plane consider what radio you want to use. You could go with any of the many brands of transmitters. I’m saying this because if you go with a valiant and a non-Spektrum radio, you would need to get a plug and play aircraft, like the Cessna. But the Cessna should go fine with anything since it is already pnp.
Thanks man !

mach1 rc

Master member
The ft designs are nice but I really like having a store bought one to fly if I'm working on a scratch build and it isn't ready to fly. But if I had to pick i would go ft all the way.

Maxx

The Sport Cub S is nice if you are on a budget, it is small and light so it will take hits. Plus you can replace any part you break without having to replace the entire plane. The SAFE tech is nice but becomes a crutch and really doesn't teach you anything if you are scared to crash. Crashing is learning. If you accept the fact that you will crash, and you, like everyone else, are going to crash and break stuff, then training on an FT design would be way more worth the value. Plus building your first plane will teach you how to fix it, and only at the cost of a couple bucks.

If you are set on either of these two planes I would say go with the Cessna. Fixing it could be as something as simple as replacing a prop or gluing a wing back together to $40-50 on a new wing or landing gear. The reason I would choose the Cessa is that there is no SAFE tech and will train you faster plus it has tricycle landing gear which is so much easier for take offs and landings as a beginner. That's just my opinion though

Really the FT designs are the way to go, they will keep you in the air more consistently, there is something to be said for crashing a couple times and not being able to afford to fix or replace it, then it just sits in the closet from lack of motivation to do so. A good place to start given the size you are looking at the FT Simple Cub or the FT simple Scout are both easy to build and fix, and both will grow with you as your skills progress.

Like it was mentioned before its about having fun and to continue to have fun as you get better as a pilot. And welcome to the forums
I understand your point , thank you , it's very interesting .

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'd be a little afraid to learn/crash on those, but I guess if you are going to go all out and get a nice retail plane, get the Valiant, you seem to have bee set on it from the beginning. Safe mode can be a bit of a double edged sword, you are going to want to graduate out of it very quickly and not get dependent on it. One thing from my experience with a safe mode plane, it will make you have to use big throws and coordinate rudder and ailerons to make sharper turns. Good to learn to coordinate those things, but once safe comes off, you may tend to want to go way too hard on the throws. I'm being kind of nice here on the safe mode because personally, I find safe mode next to useless, and completely useless for training a beginner. I'd find it more useful for maidening an expensive high performance plane for the first time as an experienced pilot just to get a feel for it. Be prepared and use some expo when you first take the safe mode off and try to fly it "normal". I'd really recommend you build a nice foam beater such as a Tiny Trainer with $80 worth of electronics you can put in a new dollar store foam body if you crash it, and use that to bang the sticks.

Last edited:

Maxx

I'd be a little afraid to learn/crash on those, but I guess if you are going to go all out and get a nice retail plane, get the Valiant, you seem to have bee set on it from the beginning. Safe mode can be a bit of a double edged sword, you are going to want to graduate out of it very quickly and not get dependent on it. One thing from my experience with a safe mode plane, it will make you have to use big throws and coordinate rudder and ailerons to make sharper turns. Good to learn to coordinate those things, but once safe comes off, you may tend to want to go way too hard on the throws. I'm being kind of nice here because personally, I find safe mode next to useless, and completely useless for training a beginner. I'd find it more useful for maidening an expensive high performance plane for the first time as an experienced pilot just to get a feel for it. Be prepared and use some expo. I'd really recommend you build a nice foam beater such as a Tiny Trainer with $80 worth of electronics you can put in a new dollar store foam body if you crash it, and use that to bang the sticks.
Thanks for the infos ,much appreciated ! I will join the local RC club and will have instructors there helping me . I would never fly those plane alone ...