Wich one should ı use.

titanan

Hey everyone. I am attending an RC competition and my plane has to have a flight controller on it. ( That's a rule) I'm making a plane between 3d and acrobatic. And ı will use at least 5 servos. But the controller won't have that much job to do. So something simple would be cool. I was planning to use APM 2.8 but ı heard that it's outdated. Any suggestions? Or the APM will be really a problem? It doesn't even have to do auto landings. ı wıll be controlling manually. Thanks for your answers, take care.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Firstly thanks for your answer. What will ı lose if ı don't use the latest firmware? As ı said ı just need a basic failsafe.
The older firmware still works well. I don’t recall what as the last version that worked on the APM. You will need to look at the improvements to the versions to see what they added. The APM is an 8 bit processor, the new ones are 32 bit and operate at much higher speeds.

My old DOS computer will still write a letter, I’d recommend you go with a Win10 computer. You will find a lot more people who can help you with the current tech than know how to run the old stuff. If you run into a problem, you will be on your own.

So what exactly are you needing to do? You don’t need a flight controller for basic failsafe. Basics failsafe, will cut the throttle, move the control surface to a per determined position and allowing the plane to come down instead of flying away until the battery runs out. You will need a flight controller to return the plane to home with signal loss.

titanan

The older firmware still works well. I don’t recall what as the last version that worked on the APM. You will need to look at the improvements to the versions to see what they added. The APM is an 8 bit processor, the new ones are 32 bit and operate at much higher speeds.

My old DOS computer will still write a letter, I’d recommend you go with a Win10 computer. You will find a lot more people who can help you with the current tech than know how to run the old stuff. If you run into a problem, you will be on your own.

So what exactly are you needing to do? You don’t need a flight controller for basic failsafe. Basics failsafe, will cut the throttle, move the control surface to a per determined position and allowing the plane to come down instead of flying away until the battery runs out. You will need a flight controller to return the plane to home with signal loss.
Thanks for your comment. ı decıded to go with mateksys f405 wing. And ı will buy a fa8s receiver for my transmitter and use it on sbus. I think newer hardware will be better. Thank yall for your time.