wich one should I choose tri or quad?

jobbzz

which one should I choose tri or quad?

hello,

I am planning to make a multi-rotor but I don't know which way I should go. Should I go for the tricopter from rcexplorer or should I built a quadcopter. My goal is to make some aerial photo's/videos with an gopro hero 2.

Here I make a list of the pros and cons of both maybe you guys can add some to them, correct me if I am wrong and give me other advise but anyway here I go.

Tricopter pros:

+cheaper to built because it uses only 3 motors instead of 4.
+no props in front of your gopro.
+less vibration because it only has 3 motors/props. (don't know it's true but I think so)
+more flight time because it has less motors.
+loads of information about it here and on rcexplorer.se.
+
+
+
Tricopter cons:

-don't fly as stable as a quad because it has less motors.
-harder to fly than an quad copter. (read that somewhere don't know it's true)
-can carry less weight than a quad because it has less motors so you probably can't put an heavy camera on in so you have to stick to the gopro.
-
-
-

Quadcopter pros:

+it fly more stable than a tri.
+can carry more weight so it can also carry an heavier battery.
+easier to fly.
+
+
+

Quadcopter cons:
-there probably is going to be a prop in front of your gopro.
-It's more expensive to build.
-Can't find that much info about it. (but I think I have to look a little better)
-harder to get rid of the vibrations because it has more motors.
-
-
-

I would really appreciate it if you guys would/could give me some advise.

Thanks,
Job

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
There are many ways of avoiding the prop in picture issue - most of those are based on X type quadcopters. As for easyness in flying, it's only about learning. Tricopters, with a mechanical yaw system, are much faster and agile to move around. Quads are quite a bit slower on the yaw axis.

In the end, between a tricopter and a quadcopter the prices are about the same. The recommended MG servo costs almost as much as an extra motor and ESC. Only difference is that quads need counter-rotating prop sets, which may be a bit more expensive and difficult to get than standard props.

From what I've seen on the web, tricopters are fun to explore, FPV style. Quads (and hexa and octo) are used more for professional videography, as they carry more weight and are more stable.

jobbzz

There are many ways of avoiding the prop in picture issue - most of those are based on X type quadcopters. As for easyness in flying, it's only about learning. Tricopters, with a mechanical yaw system, are much faster and agile to move around. Quads are quite a bit slower on the yaw axis.

So if I want to chase let's say speedboats I would be better with the tricopter because they are faster.

In the end, between a tricopter and a quadcopter the prices are about the same. The recommended MG servo costs almost as much as an extra motor and ESC.

didn't taught about that one thanks:p

From what I've seen on the web, tricopters are fun to explore, FPV style. Quads (and hexa and octo) are used more for professional videography, as they carry more weight and are more stable.

Well I want quality pictures/videos also for commercial use so it comes out that I need both:) Gift cards are welcome;)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So if I want to chase let's say speedboats I would be better with the tricopter because they are faster.

Well, they aren't really faster. They are more agile. They can turn around really fast, which is important in the moment the boat passes by and you start chasing it.

jobbzz

you can solve that problem with a quad by already heading the right direction so you don't need to turn when you get passed

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
you can solve that problem with a quad by already heading the right direction so you don't need to turn when you get passed

Yes of course. But you don't get the same effect :) Anyway it doesn't really matter.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
I am planning to make a multi-rotor but I don't know which way I should go. Should I go for the tricopter from rcexplorer or should I built a quadcopter. My goal is to make some aerial photo's/videos with an gopro hero 2.

Here I make a list of the pros and cons of both maybe you guys can add some to them, correct me if I am wrong and give me other advise but anyway here I go.

if you want to do aerial photo and video, for more than just fun...DEFINITELY go with the quad.

Tricopter pros:

+cheaper to built because it uses only 3 motors instead of 4.

true. one extra motor and speed control on a quad (although a good servo for the tail of a tri-copter is something the quad doesn't need, the quad is a little bit more expensive.)

+no props in front of your go pro.

David W, along with many other tri-copters I have seen, have props in their shots

+less vibration because it only has 3 motors/props. (don't know it's true but I think so)

I will have to disagree here. my hexa had less vibes than any machine I have flown yet. (all has to do with prop balance in my humble opinion)

+more flight time because it has less motors.

Slightly, those 3 motors have to lift the centers as well as the ESC and weight of each of their respective arms. A quad has another motor, but also has the weight of yet another arm and ESC and extra wiring. it comes fairly close in the end with the tri-copter pulling out on top by a small margin. (what the quad loses to the tri-copter here in flight time, it gains with slightly more lifting power/stability

Tricopter cons:
-don't fly as stable as a quad because it has less motors.

I agree. less lifting points around the "rotor disc" the less stability.

-harder to fly than an quad copter. (read that somewhere don't know it's true)

This one could go either way I believe. however my opinion is that based on the fact that a quad has another lifting point and is def more stable in a hover (when it comes to just sitting there and holding still) i would go with the quad for a first timer. Again, the more lifting points, the more stability. Since beginners have to learn to hover before they learn to "fly" quad would be my choice here. Once you know how to handle a multi rotor then it is up to personal preference at that point.

-can carry less weight than a quad because it has less motors so you probably can't put an heavy camera on in so you have to stick to the gopro.

True for the most part. (a quad with the same size motors and esc's as a tri, doesn't have too awful much more lifting power, cuz the frame is heavier due to the extra ESC and arm. The quad does win here as it will pick up more, but the win is is not by a landslide.)

-
-
-

Quadcopter pros:

+it fly more stable than a tri.

somewhat true.....it "hovers" more stable than a Tri, once in forward flight that gap narrows considerably. tri-copters track VERY well in forward flight if set-up correctly.

+
can carry more weight so it can also carry an heavier battery.

again, true to some extent, but not by a huge amount. (at least in my experiences)

+easier to fly.

easier to Hover. Forward flight is very good with both machines
+
+
+

Quadcopter cons:
-there probably is going to be a prop in front of your gopro.

Not true. i designed my anti-vibration camera boom to prevent this. Here is my demo reel made up entirely of footage from my quad and my tricopter. no props in ANY of the shots. (this is MOSTLY quadcopter footage. the only tricopter shots are the motorcycle and my daughter on the pink 4-wheeler at the end)

-It's more expensive to build.

true. one extra motor and speed control (although a good servo for the tail of a tri-copter is something the quad doesn't need, the quad is a little bit more expensive.)

-harder to get rid of the vibrations because it has more motors.

IMHO....false. its MORE work because you have to take the time to balance 4 props instead of 3, but......it isn't any harder. My hexa has less vibes than any of my other machines, because I took more time precision balancing the prop hubs and the prop blades.

-
-
-

I would really appreciate it if you guys would/could give me some advise.

this is hard to do, both are amazing machines, both are great flyers, both have pros and cons different from one another. For flying FPV and/or flying for fun in my yard, Tri-copter hands down.....they are a BALL of fun to fly. For filming and capturing video footage......overall my quad wins. different machines for different things.

Here is a video of my tricopter and my quadcopter flying, you can see the differences in the way that the quad sort of floats in a hover or extremely slow forward flight where the tricopter struggles a little more there. But once a tricopter is moving it tracks beautifully.

You want my advice? have both! LOL :)

once you get into multi-rotors you can never have just one. hehehe am i right guys?

Cheers!

Eric

Last edited:

jobbzz

wow thank you for your time and your long and wide answer :D

I think I go for the quad because my main goal is to make aerial footage and besides that if I absolutely hate my quad I can always convert it to a tri and back. I think I start building end of May/begin of June I first have to pass my final exams:rolleyes:

More tips are appreciated

Job

jobbzz

Don't worry I will post pics and vids for sure. I also can't wait for your camera boom plans so I can start making that before I start on my multi rotor just to fill in some time I have next to my studying :D

bmsweb

Site Moderator
My mate has been flying TriCopters for some time . . until the last one sunk in a lake . . but that's another story.

In any case this is my friends first Quad which was made for one of the Guy at work from the US (well his son). In any case I thought the quad was far better than his TriCopter. When I get some time, I plan on building a Quad :)

This is the video of its first and only flight in Australia . . I believe its somewhere in Philadelphia now

glydr

How many letters do we ge
You want my advice? have both! LOL :)

once you get into multi-rotors you can never have just one. hehehe am i right guys?

Great write up by Eric there.

Yes - you cannot stop at one (I've only two multis and bits for a third).

What gopro setting do you use Eric? The vids are awesome!

G

glydr

That quad looks good bmsweb.

Have to comment (as a fellow Aussie in the building industry) that we don't all wear high-vis yellow as a fashion statement. The yellow shirts are a safety requirement for working in building, transport and other industrial occupations. (Personally I go for the yellow vest which I keep on the back seat of the car).

Although there is a sign in a work-wear shop in Sydney which reads: "High-vis is the new black"

G

bmsweb

Site Moderator
That quad looks good bmsweb.

Have to comment (as a fellow Aussie in the building industry) that we don't all wear high-vis yellow as a fashion statement. The yellow shirts are a safety requirement for working in building, transport and other industrial occupations. (Personally I go for the yellow vest which I keep on the back seat of the car).

Although there is a sign in a work-wear shop in Sydney which reads: "High-vis is the new black"

G

What a laugh!!

We have to wear Hi Vis at work and guess what . . its for the Aerospace Industry (Boeing) lol and I work behind a Computer Designing Tooling in CAD (Catia). Having said that I can assure you I had already taken off my High Vis Vest Off :)

Last edited:

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Great write up by Eric there.

Yes - you cannot stop at one (I've only two multis and bits for a third).

What gopro setting do you use Eric? The vids are awesome!

G

Thanks Glydr!

I started out saying that 1 was enough.....now less than a year later i have 2 quads, 1 tri, 1 hexa, a frame for another tri, and Flitetest's Y6 copter sitting in my hobby room. (fixed the Y6 props, and got it in the air a couple weeks ago, gonna redesign the center sections, and setup a camera boom on it so that we can maybe get some use out of it for the show.) But one multi-rotor is truly never enough! ;)

For my GoPro, I use the GoPro Hero 2 and i run it on 720 @60fps. And thanks for the kind words! That little GoPro never stops impressing me.

The key i am learning to vibration free (which equals SHARP focus in your footage and zero jello) is prop balancing. i knew that before, and thought i had it down, but then learned that balancing the blades, is only half the battle. you gotta balance for the center hub weight as well. they are 95% of the time heavier on one side of the center hub than the other. It takes ALOT of patience, but when you take the time to do it....the results are AMAZING!

Have a great night guys!

Cheers!

Eric

glydr

Thanks for the quick reply Eric.

It's 2pm here, I'm at my office checking FT while the computer pdfs tenders. I'll be working on tuning the tri tonight so it should be a good one!

I'm aiming for reasonable fun footage from my tri (GoPro v1) so am keen to learn from your experience Eric (cheers for sharing it here). When you balance the hub of the prop, are you filing down the thick side after balancing the blades?

G

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thanks Glydr!

now less than a year later i have 2 quads, 1 tri, 1 hexa, a frame for another tri, and Flitetest's Y6 copter sitting in my hobby room. (fixed the Y6 props, and got it in the air a couple weeks ago, gonna redesign the center sections, and setup a camera boom on it so that we can maybe get some use out of it for the show.) But one multi-rotor is truly never enough! ;)

Eric . . . WOW that's a lot of rotors!!!

My friend as also be stressing the importance of balancing the props but I wasn't aware of the Centre hub also! Would love to see a tutorial on how this is done ;)

Great Footage too BTW :)

glydr

What a laugh!!

We have to wear Hi Vis at work and guess what . . its for the Aerospace Industry (Boeing) lol and I work behind a Computer Designing Tooling in CAD (Catia). Having said that I can assure you I had already taken off my High Vis Vest

<ironic sidetrack>

I was once on site inspecting a shed for a transport / logistics company. The builder I was working with is normally pretty 'lax' RE vis so I didn't bother donning the vest. However during my inspection a guy from the transport company spotted me, came all the way across the yard and asked me to put on a vest (the whole reason, of course, is to make one visible). Rather than use the obvious quip "But you _did_ see me!" I obligingly donned the vis.

</ironic sidetrack>