• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Will Flitefest 2020 be cancelled due to corona virus?

Tench745

Well-known member
#4
I would expect this to all be well wrapped up by July. That's 5 months away and as far as I know we're talking less than 3 for a worse case scenario. Although I have heard from dubious sources that a very worst-case scenario pushes into 6 months, I doubt most people could put up with it that long.
 
#5
Testing has shown that the virus goes inactive at warm temps (much like other cold and flu bugs), but will likely return in the fall. They are talking about having unrestricted travel and full social interaction in 3 weeks. Using the data from China, that would have the virus tapering off by mid to late June no matter what.
 

LitterBug

Troll Spammer
#8
Testing has shown that the virus goes inactive at warm temps (much like other cold and flu bugs), but will likely return in the fall. They are talking about having unrestricted travel and full social interaction in 3 weeks. Using the data from China, that would have the virus tapering off by mid to late June no matter what.
Do you have a source link for that report that you can post?
Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: The reports I see are all speculative in nature and not backed by data. If you find otherwise, Please clue us in! :)
 
Last edited:

Merv

Well-known member
#9
I agree with @LitterBug, at this point is all speculation.

According to the CDC there are many other corona type viruses, SARS, MERS and the common cold. Each one has its own characteristics. The other corona's do go inactive in the heat. No one knows if this one will or not. We will just have to wait & see.

Just looking at a map of the cases, more of the outbreaks "appear" to be in the higher latitudes. There could be many reasons for this, one reason could be that heat slows the spread.

My 2¢, it's far too early to speculate about FF20, let's wait & see. Hopefully I'll see you in Malvern OH July 16-19, 2020.

Stay calm, wash your hands, don't hord and carry on
 
Last edited:
#11
Do you have a source link for that report that you can post?
Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: The reports I see are all speculative in nature and not backed by data. If you find otherwise, Please clue us in! :)
There are many studies in progress. Here's a link that I just googled that quotes John Nicholls, a pathology professor at the University of Hong Kong

https://www.accuweather.com/en/heal...will-burn-itself-out-in-about-6-months/679415

The CDC has duplicated these experiments. It is extremely rare that a virus doesn't follow this pattern, and would be a dire concern.
 

"Corpse"

Well-known member
#13

KSP_CPA

Active member
#19
The timing of the decision will greatly influence overall attendance and success. A late cancel (late June) would be tough on FF operations as refunds will have to be issued for participants and deposits on rented gear for FF (fencing, Porto-Johns, etc.) could be in danger of being lost. A late “go forward” could be bad for attendance as plans for participants, vendors, volunteers, and rentals probably will be made in the April/May timeframe.

I do not envy the FF team in the decision. My own decision on going and not going won’t be made probably until late May to mid June. If everyone is like me, prepaid attendance could be so low as to influence a cancel decision.
 

spdxdmn

Active member
#20
I’ve already paid for my tickets and camping fee. I hope that as many people as possible can put a little money at risk by registering early to ensure that FF does not have to be canceled because of low registration. Hopefully we will be past the health risks and stay at home requirements and we can continue to have a great FF this year, even if attendance is lower this year (not by too much I hope).