Willy Nillie's Barnstormer Biplane

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Top wing is done except the iron crosses now...
IMG_20191130_163436-1024x768.jpg

And the fishing line hinges worked out great! There was a little bit more gap than I liked so I put a little red covering strip to clean that up - but they bend well and feel very secure! I'll be using this technique again. (y)

IMG_20191130_163746-1024x768.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@rockyboy - you battery charging makes my 'one at a time' charging look ridiculous! :D

:LOL: Yeah - it's a little crazy there! I got a pair of the ISDT 150 watt chargers when my iB6 charger died. Then I left one of the ISDT's at the field and thought it lost - bought an ISDT 300 watt as a replacement. Then the lost one came home and now I have three! (y)

I'd test the floppy disk material before using it. It has to be over thirty years old. It probably has deteriorated to some degree.

That's a good point. It was some early 2000's posts where I saw people were using floppy disk material. Needs some testing....

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not being a fixed wing guy....

Wont the control surfaces be prone to wobble or flutter over the length of the control surface? And if they do flutter would it get worse as the line stretches over time? Just more Bill weirdness that popped into my head when I saw the fishing line used. If Im way off the mark just post a but of scream laugh emotes and Ill go back to my corner.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Not being a fixed wing guy....
You know, you've been saying that since? 2015? Earlier? I'm not saying anything, but it might just be time to remedy that. Just throwing it out there... :love: You can rip a quad like nobody's business. You decide you want to fly an airplane, I'll help you out. I guarantee I can help you crash in style! :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You know, you've been saying that since? 2015? Earlier? I'm not saying anything, but it might just be time to remedy that. Just throwing it out there... :love: You can rip a quad like nobody's business. You decide you want to fly an airplane, I'll help you out. I guarantee I can help you crash in style! :D

See you have not been paying attention mate. I have posted ALL of my Fixed wing attempts here. Starting with the Bloody Baron plans Rockyboy sent me when we did the Caudron challenge. Then it was the FT3d, Then it was the FT edge, then the SE5.All with multiple attempts and rebuilds documented. Then Turboe Joe and Rockyboy teamed up and sent me two Balsa planes known to fly one a beautiful cub and the other a low wing I have spaced on the name. Those I am scared to fly after splitting the cub wing in half. Ill save them for after I stop breaking foam.

Now I have ready to try again the Edge, the SE5 and the Dat Rhino Kilroy dropped off to me at the last FFO I was able to go to.

I have learned a few things and found several issues that needed correcting. One was what I "thought" was a little nose heavy was actually a LOT nose heavy. So now EVERYTHING gets multiple glide tests. The other is suffering from quad brain and dropping throttle the second I feel anxious instead of powering thru or out of a stall. Once I defeat quad brain I will have successful fixed wing flights I am sure. I can even do some 3d in the fixed wing sim I have so its all mental at this point not skills holding me back. Of course having to fly alone all the time without someone there to slap me in the head and tell me to throttle up instead of down when things start to happen does not add speed in learning.

Sorry Jon for detouring this thread mate.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
:LOL::LOL: No worries on the detour brother! :LOL::LOL:

Yeah, there is a threat of flutter that is increased if there is a gap between the control surface and trailing edge - so I'm going to make sure there is a little strip of covering that gets applied to block that off. Not strictly necessary at the speeds I'm going to be flying with this plane, but critical at @FAI-F1D speeds :D These planes can be put together with only the covering hinge, and I've done that on models before, but the strength of the fishing line pieces ever 2 inches across the whole joint should make sure it stays attached and doesn't put much strain on the covering.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
See you have not been paying attention mate. I have posted ALL of my Fixed wing attempts here. Starting with the Bloody Baron plans Rockyboy sent me when we did the Caudron challenge. Then it was the FT3d, Then it was the FT edge, then the SE5.All with multiple attempts and rebuilds documented. Then Turboe Joe and Rockyboy teamed up and sent me two Balsa planes known to fly one a beautiful cub and the other a low wing I have spaced on the name. Those I am scared to fly after splitting the cub wing in half. Ill save them for after I stop breaking foam.

Now I have ready to try again the Edge, the SE5 and the Dat Rhino Kilroy dropped off to me at the last FFO I was able to go to.

I have learned a few things and found several issues that needed correcting. One was what I "thought" was a little nose heavy was actually a LOT nose heavy. So now EVERYTHING gets multiple glide tests. The other is suffering from quad brain and dropping throttle the second I feel anxious instead of powering thru or out of a stall. Once I defeat quad brain I will have successful fixed wing flights I am sure. I can even do some 3d in the fixed wing sim I have so its all mental at this point not skills holding me back. Of course having to fly alone all the time without someone there to slap me in the head and tell me to throttle up instead of down when things start to happen does not add speed in learning.

Sorry Jon for detouring this thread mate.
It's not all that. @rockyboy thanks for letting us take this little detour. I just feel for you @PsyBorg! You've been at it for so long. I'm willing to help. Really. If you've got two sheets of foamboard and some hotglue, I (and many others who know way more than I do) will help you fly fixed wing. I'll even start the thread if you want. The question is, do you want? Really. If you don't really care, then no sweat. If you've just a mental blockage, then I've got the painless build and easy flying plane for you. Your call. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I was more thinking along the lines of inside edge solid where the control rods are vs outer edges with less support kind of making a twisting action if you can picture where my head is.

Yep! Makes sense - and on a fast plane, or with a large control surface, I think that would be a big problem. On these little ones once the covering is shrunk in place it provides a surprising amount of stiffness that works fine for sport flying levels. If someone were crazy enough to put a 6s battery in one of these, I think there would need to be some changes. :D Also, on my bigger planes I like to make sure I put the control horn closer to the center of the control surface too rather than way off to one side to reduce that twisting potential, even though I'm not going super fast with them - just pushing more air.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And while we're talking about fishing line hinges, I covered and put the hinges in the horizontal and vertical stabs.

IMG_20191201_000745-1024x768.jpg

I decided I'm not going to try and covering the cabanes. Yes it could be done, but I'd rather just hit them with some black paint.

IMG_20191130_235221-1024x768.jpg

And now the tail is white too...
IMG_20191201_005536-1024x768.jpg

Then the red band goes on. I switched the direction of the angle from the inspiration plane so the black on the fuselage will go around the cabane base and the red will go up against the red on the wing. Think it will look more intentional this way.
IMG_20191201_011253-1024x768.jpg

And starting the black with the firewall first after dismounting the motor again. Expecting to put that COX 3D printed motor mount in here so I'm not going to use thread lock when I put the motor back in. If plans change I could regret this....
IMG_20191201_014244-1024x768.jpg

I'm thinking ahead to the final trim touches and wondering if I should do a black pinstripe border between the red/white transitions... I think it would look great on the wings but not sure about the fuselage....

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Second phase of the fishing line hinges. Once they are secured in the first side I lined them all up and halfway into the holes on the control surface, and then put a drop of medium CA on each line.
IMG_20191202_161415-1024x768.jpg

Then I pushed the control surface up tight and kept it at about a 30 degree angle and added another drop of CA to each line.
IMG_20191202_161628-1024x768.jpg

And here's the fuselage with the black on and the bottom wing in place. Makes me think of dive symbols :)
IMG_20191202_145902-1024x768.jpg