Willy Nillie's Barnstormer Biplane

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hey guys - hold my beer! I've got an idea! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I hope this turns out well but I'm going to try it anyway. I'm impatient for a Willy Nillie's Biplane kit, so I'm making one! Starting with a Barnstormer 250 kit I'll build it as low wing and then mount a second wing up top.

[Edit: Want a sneak peak at what she looks like all finished?
IMG_20191213_150957.jpg
Pretty cool, eh? :D ]

Doug was kind enough to send me a pair of the semi-symetrical wing kits to use on this project, so let's get started!

Half a wing worth of parts sanded lightly...

IMG_20191111_183819-1024x768.jpg

Ever wonder how much all those lightning holes help?

IMG_20191111_184213-1024x768.jpg

Bottom wing parts laid out here - I cut off the two outer ribs on the bottom wing. Will use the TLAR method to see if I need to take the same amount or one less rib off the top wing.

IMG_20191111_185232-1024x768.jpg

Also have to say I like the servo horn slot in the wing sheeting this way - nice touch!

Last edited:

chris398mx

Master member
Hey guys - hold my beer! I've got an idea! 🤣🤣

Yeah, I hope this turns out well but I'm going to try it anyway. I'm impatient for a Willy Nillie's Biplane kit, so I'm making one! Starting with a Barnstormer 250 kit I'll build it as low wing and then mount a second wing up top.

Doug was kind enough to send me a pair of the semi-symetrical wing kits to use on this project, so let's get started!

Half a wing worth of parts sanded lightly...

View attachment 147819

Ever wonder how much all those lightning holes help?

View attachment 147821

Bottom wing parts laid out here - I cut off the two outer ribs on the bottom wing. Will use the TLAR method to see if I need to take the same amount or one less rib off the top wing.

View attachment 147820

Also have to say I like the servo horn slot in the wing sheeting this way - nice touch!

What is the TLAR method?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys!

This is a cool project, and I’ll definitely be watching it! I haven’t done a balsa build yet, but the Willy Nillie’s seem like a great place to start...

Yes - great first time builder kit for an already experienced flyer.

You will have to join the Balsa build along. I think I am going to join in.

Yes - yes - yes!! :D

Which one do you want to build first?

I know it as "That Looks About Right"

You are correct good sir!

chris398mx

Master member
Thanks guys!

Yes - great first time builder kit for an already experienced flyer.

Yes - yes - yes!! :D

Which one do you want to build first?

You are correct good sir!

Not sure which one, I was hoping to see what other planes they come out with before the start of the build.

TLAR.....LOL. I have been doing that on my Mini Mamba Biplane as well. I am trying to update the plans for V2 as I did get V1 to fly, although not for very long.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Before adding glue, it's a good idea to lay out both wing panels so you don't end up with two right sides. :D
IMG_20191112_190212-1024x768.jpg

Gluing in the ribs, spars, and sheer webbing...
IMG_20191113_125325-1024x768.jpg

I added a little dihedral by angling the ribs at the root and the putting the sides together.
IMG_20191113_190257-1024x768.jpg

Adding dihedral braces and fitting the servos.
IMG_20191113_191230-1024x768.jpg

Very important step - servo testing! These are not going to be easy to remove once the covering goes on so let's make sure they work now.
IMG_20191113_191605-1024x768.jpg

And once the servos are in I can see how much I need to trim the bottom sheeting so everything lines up nicely.
IMG_20191113_192511-1024x768.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Been there, done that, had to go to the scrap pile for wood to make new pieces! Also have done this more times that I care to admit! Kiddies - before you spend money on a bottle of accelerator, get a bottle of debonder! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MVIMG_20191113_205841-1024x768.jpg

OK, now that I've cut my fingers apart again (got impatient waiting for the debonder to soak in deeply) it's time to do more on the center sheeting :D Finished up the bottom of the wing sheeting here...

IMG_20191113_211216-1024x768.jpg

I used a sharpened piece of brass tube to cut new holes in the top sheeting for the servo wires since I'm doing this as the low wing - and want the control horns hidden on the bottom of the wing too. The sheeting pieces seemed interchangeable so you could put the control horns on top or bottom without modifications if you are OK with the wires coming out the same side as the horns.

IMG_20191113_211817-1024x768.jpg

For the top curvy leading edge sheeting I didn't bother with water or ammonia this time - just clamp and glue one edge of the sheet...

IMG_20191113_212621-1024x768.jpg

... then after that dries clamp and glue the other side of the sheeting. I also seem to have snuck getting on the end caps without a close up picture, but they are pretty simple. From what I understand in the kit there are actually three shapes of end caps included - I used the biggest curvy one.

IMG_20191113_213621-1024x768.jpg

Next up is the trailing edge blocking, some sanding, and then she's ready for covering! :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Where did you get the clear clamps? They look very handy.

I picked the clear ones up in a box of tools at a swap meet - no idea who the manufacturer is. If someone else recognizes them please let us know - I want a couple more!

My philosophy on clamps is any time I see a new design, buy a couple right away! :D

I have been there with the CA MANY times!!! 😆😄
My Wife won't let me use ultra thin anymore...

Yeah, this super runny stuff can be dangerous. I didn't even notice it was running over my fingers until they started to get warm - and then it's too late - that exothermic reaction has kicked off and it's "game over man - game over!!" :eek:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I hate you...

You lay the parts out on the table and glue em in position and it comes out perfect. I could do that a piece at a time using lasers and leveling blocks to keep it all straight and it would still be all catty wompus. Not to mention shaking hands knocking everything over like dominoes.