Willy Nillie's Barnstormer Biplane

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks Doug! Very happy to turn that into another kit! Wonder what else we can bash together... maybe a canard hiding in one of those planes... :unsure:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Alright! :) Yep, down thrust and you've got a winner! It really slows down nice and putts around at low power settings, nice!

Jon - Check you email! You've completed the build off requirements and your award has been sent! :)

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Was looking around at inspiration photos and ran across this Skylark variation ...

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1843

1843.jpg

195cacfaabb8c0548b928225db657b76.jpg

And even a 1s version! Nice covering scheme on this one too...
7740.jpg

Hmm.... :unsure:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
OMG a heathkit RC $ystem. I had one of those, once. Is this the midsize late 70's Falcon?

Goldberg did this 56" Twin Skylark in the mid-70's but I haven't been able to find a twin Falcon yet - if anyone finds one please share! :D

I'm not even done with my current Cap 232 project and already excited for this build! I gotta pace myself a little better :LOL:

Turbojoe

Elite member
Was looking around at inspiration photos and ran across this Skylark variation ...

1843.jpg

195cacfaabb8c0548b928225db657b76.jpg

7740.jpg

I LOVE twins and the twin version of the Skylark is on the plans. I just remember way back when that the local guys that built the twin said that all the twin added to the flying experience was weight and fuel consumption. Most converted back to single. That sucks because it looks good as a twin. I'll bet at this lighter weight and electric it'll make a much better twin.

Joe

Piotrsko

Master member
The 049 one wasn't all that great because just getting 2 tanked 49's running at the same time was the first hurdle, didn't have remote tanked mods until 75 when they did Jerobee rc cars. They flew like an a Piper Aztec on one running: just enough power to crash.
A Falcon is just an inverted Skylark or vice versa. All the parts are mostly the same except for wing saddles.

If it wasn't for the fact I see you do fly them, I'd say your as bad as @bracesport.

Michael9865

Elite member

1843.jpg

My Dad flew a Twin Skylark 56 with two Veco 19s on it. It sounded wonderful when they were synced. He flew it through out the 80s until he sold it when he got out of the hobby. It was a great and stable plane.

chris398mx

Master member

Wildthing

Legendary member
They measure 0.265" (6.75mm) Walmart $2 arrows. I could modify the hole for your arrows if you like and post the stl files.
Sure, I printed some test pieces when I did my 4XTrouble mounts and 7.9mm gives me a snug but still movable shaft. I do have some flexible filament that I haven't tried out yet that should work for the ends.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Made it out to the field this morning - winds at zero, temperature just below freezing - a perfect winter day! :D

First up, here's the amount of down thrust I added - one servo arm carefully inserted behind the top of the Faux motor mount.
IMG_20200102_102739-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20200102_101620-1024x768.jpg
IMG_20200102_101601-1024x768.jpg

In addition to the down thrust, I added another 1/4 oz of weight (up to 1.25oz total now), dialed back the motor to 75% maximum, and added two business cards worth of additional positive incidence on the top wing. Flight performance was better over three additional flights making these adjustments, but she's still very pitchy. However, I only had one more nose over - greased in two smooth landings on the wheels with flight times around 6 minutes. Takeoff's are an adventure though - she banks hard left once she comes off the ground and causes a minor heat attack until she gets enough airspeed so the control surfaces can catch and level her out again.

Right now she's an adrenaline junkies dream with the motor running, and with the motor off she glides sweet and level. That (combined with the takeoff excitement) is telling me there is probably more I need to do with thrust adjustments - perhaps a touch more down and even some right thrust. I also need to take some 2s batteries with me to the field next time too - even with the throttle limited to 75% she is way over powered for the amount of lift these flat bottom wings are putting out!

chris398mx

Master member
Made it out to the field this morning - winds at zero, temperature just below freezing - a perfect winter day! :D

First up, here's the amount of down thrust I added - one servo arm carefully inserted behind the top of the Faux motor mount.
View attachment 152955

View attachment 152953 View attachment 152954

In addition to the down thrust, I added another 1/4 oz of weight (up to 1.25oz total now), dialed back the motor to 75% maximum, and added two business cards worth of additional positive incidence on the top wing. Flight performance was better over three additional flights making these adjustments, but she's still very pitchy. However, I only had one more nose over - greased in two smooth landings on the wheels with flight times around 6 minutes. Takeoff's are an adventure though - she banks hard left once she comes off the ground and causes a minor heat attack until she gets enough airspeed so the control surfaces can catch and level her out again.

Right now she's an adrenaline junkies dream with the motor running, and with the motor off she glides sweet and level. That (combined with the takeoff excitement) is telling me there is probably more I need to do with thrust adjustments - perhaps a touch more down and even some right thrust. I also need to take some 2s batteries with me to the field next time too - even with the throttle limited to 75% she is way over powered for the amount of lift these flat bottom wings are putting out!

Keep at it and Willie can incorporate all your finding into the kit!!!! :p:p I want one.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Keep at it and Willie can incorporate all your finding into the kit!!!! :p:p I want one.

I think the two key things he's already planning to put into the kit version are shorten the tail by an inch, and extend the nose by an inch. And for goodness sake if you build one add some reasonable dihedral to the wings - don't be a stubborn mule like me and insist on flat wings! :ROFLMAO: