Willy Nillies Eaglet 250 build. It's here!

Turbojoe

Elite member
At 1 and 3/8" you will be completely fine. That's where we fly ours if not just a tad more back than that. The listed recommended CG in the pamphlet is a solid starting point for everyone to help ensure a successful first flight.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

The Lemon RX weighs 4.5 grams and ALL of the servo wiring probably adds at least another 10+ grams and it's all sitting behind the C.G. it might as well be a pound. If I can get all that mess moved towards the front I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm going to do the maiden as is though. Then I'll go about re routing things. I honestly expected it to come out nose heavy. That's why I didn't even try to mount the RX forward.

Joe

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Hey Joe,

Here's one of our J3 Cubs with balance at 1 and 3/8" . The Eaglet 250 uses the same wing as the Cub (except different wingtips). As you see it flies just fine. :)

Sincerely
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Turbojoe

Elite member
OK, so I got the maiden flight in this morning. Honest, I DID! I found out all of my smaller batteries are total crap and good for no more than 2-3 minutes safe max flight time AT MOST! Doug, a new battery order is coming soon..... The first flight was pretty rough. She flew very tail heavy but once I trimmed almost full down elevator I got her manageable. The second flight was much better as I had her trimmed better to compensate. Then it was easy to tell that she's going to be a keeper with just a bit of radio tweaking. Immediately apparent: She's VERY responsive on all axis! Even on low rates at 50% and 25% expo it was too much. I didn't even dare switch to high rates! Because the rest of my smaller packs are suspect I didn't even try any more flights. I don't want to risk the new build to a battery failure.

I have two video files from my Mobius camera. I recently updated to Windows 10. There is a video editing program that comes with it. BUT you have to pay for it! It's on sale but it's still the price of two battery packs. If I can't find a FREE video editor that a moron like me can work with I may have to post raw video. Retirement on Social Security doesn't leave a lot of extra money in the budget so buying a video editor is out! We'll see what happens. Hopefully I can get something posted today........

For now here is a picture of the maiden flight area. In the background is the Gilbert, AZ water treatment plant. You DON'T want to land there!
The dark spot at the bottom is the well manicured cricket pitch. It was pretty wet from yesterday's rains but worked fine for me today. I used to fly here on Saturdays with another bunch of old farts about 10 years ago. I'll have to go out there this weekend to see if there are any new old farts to fly with. ;)

Joe IMG_20200123_094240.jpg

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Yay! Congratulations! Once you have her dialed in, she will become your favorite. 😁

Did the pitchiness go away when power was reduced? Wondering if might need a little more down thrust.

As for movie editing, all we've ever used was the program that comes with Windows. Pretty basic and simple.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yay! Congratulations! Once you have her dialed in, she will become your favorite. 😁

Did the pitchiness go away when power was reduced? Wondering if might need a little more down thrust.

As for movie editing, all we've ever used was the program that comes with Windows. Pretty basic and simple.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Replying in order:

She's not even close to dialed in and I know she's going to be a favorite! Touch and goes are my favorite and are already easy!

"Pitchiness" is just plain being sensitive. Only 50% throw is too much. I'll probably drop down to 30% low rate and maybe 50% on high rate for elevator AND ailerons. I'll also up the expo from 25% to at least 35%. Hard to believe this little bird reacts so well to input. Also I will be adding a bit of down thrust as after adding almost full down elevator trim she finally started to become manageable. Still tail heavy and I think I can fix that by moving some electronics forward.

Windows 10 comes with a video editor but it's not free. The OLD MS "Movie Maker" is no more so if you have it keep it! I'll have to look on old hard drives to see if I have a version saved from way back when.....

I have to add that because of health and other reasons beyond my control I haven't flown anything R/C in almost 2 years! It's like riding a bike though. You just don't forget how to do it. I did kinda forget how much I enjoyed it though. Thanks to Doug and his FAA legal sized kits I'll be flying MUCH more now. (y)

Joe

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Hey Joe!

It makes us VERY happy that we had a part in getting you flying again! Here's to many more flights! :)

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Turbojoe

Elite member
Bummer. No video editor in Windows 10 that isn't pay that I'll likely never use again....... I just tried the YouTube editor and it inserted almost 2 minutes of dead countdown time into half of my video. Absolutely worthless for me. Argh! Does it have to be this hard to post just a basic video?

I already tried to upload the raw file to FliteTest but the file is way too big. I just don't do videos. I watch YouTube. I don't create and post to it. If I don't find something soon it looks like I'll never be able to post maiden proof. :cry:

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hey Joe,

In Windows 10 there's one included in the Microsoft Photos app.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Dang it! I had high hopes trying that app. Well after over 35 minutes of it "working" with the video file and zero progress I finally gave up and exited the program. Video size is only just over 500 meg. It's not massive by any stretch.

I fully admit to being a Luddite (younger readers can Google Luddite). I have the video but just can't seem to get it uploaded live. Maybe if I put it on DropBox and let someone clean up the beginning and end? That's all that's needed. Hell, I can't even upload the unedited version to YouTube! :mad:

Joe

TooJung2Die

Master member
Maybe if I put it on DropBox and let someone clean up the beginning and end?
I can do that. I use Windows Live Movie Maker for Win7 to edit and create a WMV file. Then I use VLC Media Player to convert the file to MP4 which compresses the video file to a much smaller size for uploading. I have DropBox too. Send me a PM with the file link. I'll do it today.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Thanks for the offer. The file is 672mb. It says too big to transfer. I just can't win. Now I wish I'd stayed with Win 7 even though it's no longer supported by MS. I had Movie Maker installed in Win 7 (though I never used it).

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I FINALLY got the raw unedited video uploaded to YouTube. LINK. TooJung2Die has graciously offered to edit and clean up the video for me IF I gave him a usable DropBox link to the file. I hope it worked.....

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hey Joe,

In Windows 10 there's one included in the Microsoft Photos app.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

I never thought to look in "photos" to do "video" work but sure enough it's there. I was getting excited because things were actually going very smooth then when I tried to save my work the Windows 10 Movie Maker purchase link came up. If I was going to do a bunch of video editing I'd just give MS the money but it's only one poorly shot video. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm finally just a grumpy old man........

Joe

Willy Nillies

Elite member

That is so very AWESOME Joe! We love it when we hear the pilots chuckle and giggle! :)

We have emailed your award coupon for completing a build through flight video! We are guessing you'll get some new batteries? :)

Just fyi: the Eaglet will really slow down if you droop the ailerons a bit. Just an 1/8 of an inch and you'll be very surprised!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Turbojoe

Elite member
That is so very AWESOME Joe! We love it when we hear the pilots chuckle and giggle! :)

We have emailed your award coupon for completing a build through flight video! We are guessing you'll get some new batteries? :)

Just fyi: the Eaglet will really slow down if you droop the ailerons a bit. Just an 1/8 of an inch and you'll be very surprised!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

THANKS for the coupon Doug and yes, MUCHO battery packs will be ordered. No more flights until I have reliable batteries. I don't want to risk an avoidable crash.

I set the ailerons flat to the wing but should have asked for your input earlier. Thanks for the 1/8" droop suggestion. After just a few tweaks I see the little Eaglet being the same sweetheart the Eaglet 50 is just in a smaller package. Maybe I'll take the 50 with me next time I fly.....

So sorry I couldn't do a better quality video. It's just not something I do on a regular basis. ;)

Joe

TooJung2Die

Master member
Hey Joe. That's an incredible maiden flight. Wish I could click 'like' more than once. I'll edit it and send it back to you. I enjoyed watching it in all it's glory as you recorded. You did touch-n-go and rolled it! I can't wait to get my Eaglet in the air. That's a wonderful first flight.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hey Joe. That's an incredible maiden flight. Wish I could click 'like' more than once. I'll edit it and send it back to you. I enjoyed watching it in all it's glory as you recorded. You did touch-n-go and rolled it! I can't wait to get my Eaglet in the air. That's a wonderful first flight.

Many, many thanks for help in producing a usable video! One thing I learned with mine is to NOT get wild with control surface throws. As I said in the P.M. even though she needed some tweaking of surface throws she was still a blast to fly even after not having flown for so long. The only thing that spoiled the day was the junk batteries. I just ordered 6 new packs along with some other goodies from Doug@WillyNilles.com. Hopefully I'll have her out again by next weekend and maybe even bring her big brother the all balsa Eaglet 50 too. I never liked to fly bigger planes there because of the housing proximity but I could keep it low and below the tree line. ;)

Joe