Willy Nillies Eaglet 250 build. It's here!

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Hi DraxRC!

Welcome to the fun! It's great you have your 10 yo son building! If you every have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us through our website, our facebook builder group or here! We are always happy to help! Post pics if you have some please!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

DraxRC

Not the best shot but here you go
20200119_154739.jpg

DraxRC

My son doesnt quite work at my pace. Dad wants to build his Super Sport 250 now!😋 Great product! Amazing how easy it goes together even without plans.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A little more progress today. I needed to get the rudder push rod path figured out and though the nose steering caused me to have to run both pushrods out the same side it wasn't a big problem. I'm a huge fan of the Dubro #47 pushrod kits LINK and always have several on hand so that's what I went with. It'll make it so easy to cover the fuse and then be able to slide the push rods in without having to fish them through.Just another of my personal preferences. I also made the wing tips. I just took a piece of 3/4" light balsa triangle stock. Traced the rib on it and took it to the band saw. Glued it on and final sanded and it's good to go. They only weighed .6 gram each after I used the Dremel to hollow them out a bit. Quick and easy. I also finished up the wing center section. Filled and sanded. A quick final sand and it'll get some covering. The fuse is stripped of all the gear and needs a final sand then it will get some covering as well. I'm nearing the finish line. It's just taking me a lot longer than I wanted because of my back. Not sure how much more I'll get done today.

Joe

View attachment 155120 View attachment 155121 View attachment 155122 View attachment 155123 View attachment 155124

I like how you're doing the wingtips. A little extra weight is worth it to get results like that.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I actually got the fuselage covered in white and got started on the graphics. Because it's so small the stars for the vertical stab are going to be tough to replicate. I'm going to try to go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby tomorrow to see if they have some tiny star decals that will work. I want it to look as much as possible like its big brother.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Not the best shot but here you go View attachment 155172

Looks great. Isn't it surprising how fast it can go together if you don't go monkeying with everything like I do? I should have been done last week........

It's not too late to order up a couple of those PeeWee mounts. The pictures don't do them justice. They look amazing.

Joe

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Hey Joe!

Can't wait to see your progress!! It's going to be so neat to see the Eaglet 250 next to it's big brother!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Turbojoe

Elite member
Big progress finally! Fuse is 99.9% done including graphics. I just now covered the bottom of the wing before my back said "that's enough" take a LONG break...... All i need to do now is cover the top of the wing, the ailerons and do final surface trim adjustments. I'm trying to get it all knocked out tonight because I have VA medical appointments most of tomorrow. Luckily they're at the "local" VA facility and if they don't have to send me to the main Phoenix VA hospital I can work in some progress between appointments tomorrow. Weather sucks today but looks great for Thursday (according to the pretty weather girl). I'm hoping to have her ready to rock and roll by then. I have seven 2S 370-460 mah packs that I'm starting to cycle as they have been in the fridge at storage voltage and haven't been used in well over a year or more. I'm also cycling my seldom used Mobius camera battery as well so I can shoot video of the maiden.

She looks just like her big brother so far. Pictures coming soon....... ;)

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Here's a few teaser pictures. Thankfully the flaws don't show too well in the pictures. I wish I could finish the wing tonight and will try hard to get it done later tonight.

I just can't get over how cool that Pee Wee motor mount is. It makes me want to prime the cylinder and flip the prop to get it started. :)

I just tried my Mobius camera and it recorded only 13 seconds before it died. Now I have to scramble to hack a 1S battery to work with it for the maiden video. For 1S all I have is 300mah and then it jumps to 2200mah 18650 laptop cells. 300mah won't last long so it looks like a VERY heavy camera will be hanging on my sun glasses frames for the maiden video.......

Joe Fuselage done.JPG Pee Wee mount.JPG Head on.JPG

Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've been busy cycling battery packs. They're done now and it looks like most are still flyable. Worst one tests at 21C and best one at 25C.

I also cut the harness off the Mobius camera 520 mah battery and wired up a honking 18650 3300 mah Li-Ion laptop cell to it. I should be able to film for a week with that cell! :) I hope to finish up the wing tomorrow and maiden Thursday. Weather should be perfect by then.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I finally got a chance to finish her up today! (y) I had to tear off the top wing covering because I forgot to put the servo arms and arm screws back. Can't believe I did that! :cry: I got that and the graphics done then finished up the linkages and centered everything in the radio. It's all good to go now. A.U.W. with 460 mah pack was 212 grams. I was a little bummed out when I checked C.G. though. It was pretty tail heavy even with a 460 mah pack. I had to add 1/2 oz to get close to the 1 1/4" on the spec sheet. I'm at probably 1 3/8" even with the added weight. After the maiden I may try to squeeze the RX somewhere in the front. It would have to be right on top of the ESC so probably not....

Weather today was ugly. Gray skies with light drizzle now and then. Tomorrow should be nice with no more than 4 mph winds. I'm going to go to one of my old flying areas that is well protected from wind and has/had an awesome manicured cricket pitch perfect for small R/C. I hope I can get some good video. I shot a few pictures of the finished bird. One riding piggy back on its big brother. I didn't get the wing center section stripes done. That'll be later. I'm beat now and just want a hot shower and some hot chocolate.....

Joe

IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0031.JPG

Willy Nillies

Elite member
That is sooooooo beautiful Joe! Great Job! Good luck on the maiden tomorrow!

Trying to figure out how she came out tail heavy?.... hmmm.... The recommended CG is beginner position. A little bit forward and you'll be ok.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

TooJung2Die

Master member
Looks great Joe. Good luck with the maiden flight. Where's the battery hatch? On the bottom? Thanks for the CG alert. I'll make some weight saving mods when I build the tail. 212 grams is a good AUW. It would be nice to achieve correct CG without adding ballast.

Willy Nillies

Elite member
At 1 and 3/8" you will be completely fine. That's where we fly ours if not just a tad more back than that. The listed recommended CG in the pamphlet is a solid starting point for everyone to help ensure a successful first flight.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com