Willy Nillies GLH

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've got the larger version of your cutter. Are you using the Mastercut software that comes with it? What blades have you been using?
Yes I'm still using the default version of MasterCuts software - I've thought about upgrading a little bit but so far everything I've wanted to do has been possible once I learned how to trace images. And I still haven't changed the very first blade either! I should probably do that soon before it starts dragging and messing up.

On the paint job, It seemed like the red was holding really well so I applied the mask that I cut out using frisket paper.
IMG_20200331_131159_copy_1024x768.jpg

And before I spray white, I put down a light coat of red to seal the edges of the mask. This way if any paint runs underneath the mask edge, it's the same color as what's underneath so it won't cause any problems. Once this dries for a couple hours I'll go ahead with the white coat.
IMG_20200331_131545_copy_1024x768.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The Oracal masking material was just too strong compared to the paint / doculam bond.

I also probably shouldn't have gone with a gloss white paint as that creates a stronger paint film surface too.

IMG_20200331_164258 (Medium).jpg

It tore up the red pretty bad.

IMG_20200331_181438 (Medium).jpg

Things to try on the next doculam plane:
  • Let the base coat try for 2 or more days, no matter how impatient I get.
  • Try using masking tape with a t-shirt press instead of the Oracal masking
  • Use a flat top coat
On the GLH project I just shot red over the end again and will probably just cut the graphic out of white vinyl to finish it up.

chris398mx

Master member
The Oracal masking material was just too strong compared to the paint / doculam bond.

I also probably shouldn't have gone with a gloss white paint as that creates a stronger paint film surface too.

View attachment 164077

It tore up the red pretty bad.

View attachment 164078

Things to try on the next doculam plane:
  • Let the base coat try for 2 or more days, no matter how impatient I get.
  • Try using masking tape with a t-shirt press instead of the Oracal masking
  • Use a flat top coat
On the GLH project I just shot red over the end again and will probably just cut the graphic out of white vinyl to finish it up.

Live and learn..... Right!!! Would have looked great otherwise.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
She's still looking pretty nice - but there is a little surface difference where the white paint is covered up. Thinking I might cut out the star in white vinyl and add it over the wing.

IMG_20200331_192154_copy_1024x768.jpg

Turbojoe

Elite member
She's still looking pretty nice - but there is a little surface difference where the white paint is covered up. Thinking I might cut out the star in white vinyl and add it over the wing.

View attachment 164099

It looks pretty opaque. My biggest concern with using doculam and paint. Are you weighing as you go to see how much weight the paint is adding? Just curious.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I didn't weigh it, but four light coats of paint on the outer bit of the wing... I don't think I have a scale sensitive enough to pick that up. Painting the whole plane would be different of course - I'll try to figure out a way to do this on the Falcon.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That's a sharp looking plane, I really like the visible balsa construction. It kind of forces you to do a nice & neat job building, knowing your work will be on display. Hopefully the wingtip is enough color to aid with orientation! Either my eyesight is getting bad or my brain is getting slow, on fast planes like this (or my Fun Fighters) I need as much help with orientation as possible. :eek:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's a sharp looking plane, I really like the visible balsa construction. It kind of forces you to do a nice & neat job building, knowing your work will be on display. Hopefully the wingtip is enough color to aid with orientation! Either my eyesight is getting bad or my brain is getting slow, on fast planes like this (or my Fun Fighters) I need as much help with orientation as possible. :eek:

Thanks! I think I'm going to try and work clear covering spots into more of my builds - probably not to this degree, but it really does show off the engineering :D

And yeah, I really hope the wingtip does the trick for orientation too. I've done "right wing red" on a couple foam board builds in the past and it was OK - but those were going a lot slower! :eek:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Guess what flew today! :cool:

On the second flight, after I made sure the wings and horizontal stabilizer were actually parallel, she was locked in and flew like a Laines Plane's Cuda - but nearly silent! Great tracking, great control, no unexpected loss of altitude with wind bumps - just fast "go where she's pointed" fun and rolls like a drill bit! :)

I'll make sure to get more video next time I'm out with her - it's really hard to see cause she's small and quick, but so much fun! :love:

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Awesome Rockyboy!

Most of the time when we experience a wing rock is because of poor servo centering. Make sure the pushrod on the servo arm is in the closest hole to center (typically 5-7mm). You will still have plenty of throw, but the servo has to move further to move the control surface, so it makes it's ability to be more precise around center much better.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome Rockyboy!

Most of the time when we experience a wing rock is because of poor servo centering. Make sure the pushrod on the servo arm is in the closest hole to center (typically 5-7mm). You will still have plenty of throw, but the servo has to move further to move the control surface, so it makes it's ability to be more precise around center much better.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

In my case the horizontal stabilizer was a couple degrees off from being parallel to the wing. So she was in a continual state of fighting a dutch roll - if the wings were flat, the stabilizer was tilted, and vice versa. Once I shimmed the wing a touch so both surfaces were parallel she flew excellently! Hands off across the field was no problem at all then! :)

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
IMG_0525.JPG
J
Just seeing the GLH brings back the days my son and I raced except we had to use the 049's. We did 2 year's of racing as well as the Q-500 and Formula1. Here is our testbed back in the 80's

For you:
1) Is the elevator control horn movement inside the fuse? If not, it's external, which adds drag.
2) Due to high G's in the turns, you need to get strong plastic hinges for your ailerons and elevator. Then you need to close the gap between the control spaces with Scotch tape applied underneath. Otherwise, stability will suck and turns scary.
3) Do not put any dihederal in the wing. It needs to be straight. That produces sideforces.
4) Ditch the arm that holds the battery cover. Object is to have the least external drag.
5) Pick bright color's(red,black, yellow design) for your wing so you see it. Colorless does't work well in the turn if your small red area has a plane in front of yours and how do you see clear wings. Crunch is the result.
6) You need to get your static CG perfect, so fly level and then fly inverted straight and get it so their is little elevator down to keep it level. Then do a trim check by starting out 1/2 throttle and open up, does it fly level and roll. How does it climb(vert) on full throttle? I have a number of tricks so when you dynamically make the turn, you don't worry about the nose dropping or climbing.
7) learn to fly on your minimum exponential. When your turning and you overturned(so 95 degrees) and you are pulling up also, you are now headed for the ground (100mph) you are moving at about 150 ft per second. Have a high expo around the center, you will be last in that heat.
If you set up the plane and throws correct, racing becomes easier and fun.
8) Get a partner to call for you and vice versa. That way both of you can pick up on the other's tips and now racing becomes fun.

i have competed in pattern, pylon and heli competition for a number of years. 2 are based on people evaluation and sometimes show favorites for the score. Pylon, no, winning is based on your plane and your talent plus some luck of the draw. Get that plane flying straight and true, and that is half the battle. At least you shouldn't end up at the bottom of the barrel.

Hope you enjoy the adrenlin rush especially if you win the heat.

Last edited: