Willy Nillies Sport 250 - build along

Try-n-glide

Getting real close. I’m working on ideas for some contrast across that stark white top deck. Will sleep on it.
CF0B4390-4362-4F96-9BA4-5123FFB9E108.jpeg

Try-n-glide

Thanks for your compliments guys. Overall I'm happy how this turned out despite some mistakes in covering that make it a "5 footer" covering job (looks decent from 5 feet away).

6 inches of fresh snow yesterday so no hurry at this point. Little more work it will be ready to maiden.

Try-n-glide

Have you had a chance to fly it yet??? :)

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Maiden report finally. Corona and bad weather have badly delayed things.

I did some glide and trim tests in the small field behind my house a week ago. Did not go great mostly because the field is slightly too small. But I got a gross trim set at least.

This morning I went to a large field and got a true maiden in. The plane flies great. Really does slow down for some easy flying. Couple easy circles to finalize my trim. Responds to the controls exceptionally well, tracks straight, etc. I did a couple lower speed loops and rolls too. The lower speed rolls were slightly barrel-ish with the nose not tracking 100% straight but nothing horrible. I did not try anything higher speed which I think would help the rolls. I do note that trim was not overly affect ed by throttle (although I didnt get much over 5/8 to 3/4 throttle) which I think is a testament to good design. Ive designed a couple foam board planes and every one had noticeable pitch chan ge with throttle. The Sport 250 seems to just like to go where you point it.

Landing was a problem. My build is maybe too heavy for a nice glide in throttle off belly lander. I had one tip stall from 18" up. The next landing it slowed down and I kept it straight but it stopped responding to the elevator - too slow maybe - and nosed in reasonably hard. Possibly with some COG adjustment that will change as I know nose heavy causes fast landings. I did not have time to do a COG flight test so I'm not sure.

The good news is Doug has designed a nice tough model, and even my "dumb thumbs" on the sticks did no damage.

The bad news is I dropped it on the tail putting it in the truck and snapped the elevator to fuse glue joint :(

I have really only a couple points of constructive criticism of the model - 1) I do not like the size of push rods that the horns are cut for. The rods could be much smaller and still work fine, which would lighten the tail and 2} Along with that mine balanced with a 450-3s almost to the firewall. If the pushrods were lighter and the tail section were lighter I think it would balance with a 2s and no extra nose weight.

The plane truly does not need 3s just as Doug said, but in my case I may as well have more battery instead of dead weight.

Overall that is a very slight criticism of a nice looking, well designed, nice flying little park flyer. I'm sure with some adjustments to weight and trim the model will only get better, and I did like t he way it flew right from the first launch this AM. Very confidence inspiring flying.