Willy Nillies Super Sport 250

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Yay! Nothing like a little tail dragging to keep ya on her toes! Sounds like you had a fun morning though! Congrats!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

TooJung2Die

Master member
Yay! Looking forward to seeing the video.
For years I gave up taking off from the ground. I couldn't figure it out. I got good at just tossing it into the sky. It seems easy most of the time now for some reason.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Thanks guys. Yeah, I would have had better luck just hand launching but I hate that. I like to R.O.G. A few tweaks and I'll have her sorted out.

I got the video uploaded. Still pretty raw with no lead in graphics etc as I've just finally figured out how to cut unwanted sections. I did remove all but the first ground loop.

Joe

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Oooops! Gotta keep a little more speed on approach with fully symmetrical wing. Of course you know that now. 🤪

The Eaglet 250 and Skylark 250 have you spoiled. 😁

Hmmmm... Maybe start making a semi-symetrical wing for the Super Sport? 🤔

Looks like you had fun so A+

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yep. Had a blast once I got her off the ground. My fault for avoiding tail draggers all these years. I'll tweak her and get her to behave.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Uploading the Eaglet 250 2nd flight now. I'll add it to the Eaglet 250 thread as soon as it's done. Then it's on to the Jr.Skylark 250 2nd flight video.

Joe

TooJung2Die

Master member
That's great, Joe! Looks like she flies nice like all the other Willy Nillies in your hanger. I guess it handles different with a symmetrical airfoil. Did you try flaperons during takeoff and landing yet?

Turbojoe

Elite member
That's great, Joe! Looks like she flies nice like all the other Willy Nillies in your hanger. I guess it handles different with a symmetrical airfoil. Did you try flaperons during takeoff and landing yet?

No big difference re: the airfoil. The AS3X control definitely smooths things out a bit but doesn't fight you for control. I'm ashamed to admit I have several of the UMX foam bARF's that I bought when all the FAA weight limits first came down. I'm also ashamed to admit how well they fly. The AS3X gear worked better than I expected in the Super Sport. I just need to get a handle on the ground handling now.

I've tried flaperons on many planes. Never cared for them. I only saw increased tip stalling and decreased aileron response. Heck, I don't even like using flaps unless it's on a plane that's heavy enough for them to actually be of any use on.

Joe