Willy Nillies Super Sport 250

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I slowed the last video wayy down and it looked to me like when it rolled the tail stayed in line with the flight flight path but the nose seemed to barrel and not stay on axis.

I picture it in my head like the weight of the battery and motor sit too high and that inertia carries the nose in a weird way.

Sort of like the first few times I flew my super fast quad builds that had a bottom mount battery vs the top mount on my freestyle quads. the bottom mount battery style was more controlled on pitch but in roll it took a lot to get the lardy bottom to move but after it hit a certain momentum its like what ever was holding it back let go and all the sudden it was over shooting hard.

Is this what I actually see or is there some kind of optical illusion at play as the wings roll around in that cameras lens setup?

OliverW

Legendary member
I slowed the last video wayy down and it looked to me like when it rolled the tail stayed in line with the flight flight path but the nose seemed to barrel and not stay on axis.

I picture it in my head like the weight of the battery and motor sit too high and that inertia carries the nose in a weird way.

Sort of like the first few times I flew my super fast quad builds that had a bottom mount battery vs the top mount on my freestyle quads. the bottom mount battery style was more controlled on pitch but in roll it took a lot to get the lardy bottom to move but after it hit a certain momentum its like what ever was holding it back let go and all the sudden it was over shooting hard.

Is this what I actually see or is there some kind of optical illusion at play as the wings roll around in that cameras lens setup?
In real life it rolls smooth but will go on a down line

Turbojoe

Elite member
In your post #86 if you zoom in on the picture it looks like the leading edges are flat. Not rounded like they should be. Won't fly well like that. Maybe it's just the camera angle though.....

Joe

OliverW

Legendary member
In your post #86 if you zoom in on the picture it looks like the leading edges are flat. Not rounded like they should be. Won't fly well like that. Maybe it's just the camera angle though.....

Joe
They are. I couldn't round them as they all sat either flush or inside the rib so they couldn't be sanded.

Turbojoe

Elite member
They are. I couldn't round them as they all sat either flush or inside the rib so they couldn't be sanded.

There's your flight issues then. That wing isn't much of an airfoil now. I built my Super Sport so long ago and the airframe went together so fast I don't even remember what the leading edges looked like. Pretty sure I had to sand them to match the rib contours though. Mine had been ready to fly for quite some time but every time I try to take it out it's either windy or raining. I'd fix those leading edges before trying to fly it again.

Joe

OliverW

Legendary member
There's your flight issues then. That wing isn't much of an airfoil now. I built my Super Sport so long ago and the airframe went together so fast I don't even remember what the leading edges looked like. Pretty sure I had to sand them to match the rib contours though. Mine had been ready to fly for quite some time but every time I try to take it out it's either windy or raining. I'd fix those leading edges before trying to fly it again.

Joe
I might fix it. I am contemplating buying another super sport and starting over as this one is heavily damaged.