Willy Nillies Super Sport 250

Willy Nillies

Elite member
SquirrelTail,

We are sorry you are having a problem with your plane.

Can you tell us method you used to check balance of your completed airframe?

How much balast did you have to add to the nose to get it to balance?

What motor and battery are you using?

The flight scenario you describe where as soon as you pull elevator it snaps is classic tail heavy characteristics.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

OliverW

Legendary member
SquirrelTail,

We are sorry you are having a problem with your plane.

Can you tell us method you used to check balance of your completed airframe?

How much balast did you have to add to the nose to get it to balance?

What motor and battery are you using?

The flight scenario you describe where as soon as you pull elevator it snaps is classic tail heavy characteristics.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
I am running an emax 2204 and 3s. It took no weight to balance. I balanced it 1.25" back as recommended. I balanced the plane upside down on the wing.

OliverW

Legendary member
OK. I'm thinking this through. Help me out. Everything is at the proper angle. Your airfoils are good, meaning nothing's sloppy or out of whack. You've got the proper throws and the hinges aren't sticking. (important)

Thrust angle comes to mind. Shoot, that'd screw up a lot of things!

All that's left is the COG. Right?
Everything checks out and works. It is kind of weird..

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Does the plane still do this while gliding? I am asking because maybe this could be caused by the thrust over the elevator. I know that there is probably a low chance of this but I had a plane that snapped and flipped when throttle was applied, only at low speeds though. If this isn’t the answer, then maybe try shifting the cg around and seeing what that does as @The Hangar has said. Good luck!

OliverW

Legendary member
Does the plane still do this while gliding? I am asking because maybe this could be caused by the thrust over the elevator. I know that there is probably a low chance of this but I had a plane that snapped and flipped when throttle was applied, only at low speeds though. If this isn’t the answer, then maybe try shifting the cg around and seeing what that does as @The Hangar has said. Good luck!
It does it at any speed. I will do some messing around with the cg. As it is the battery is all the way forward and it balances perfectly.

PoorManRC

Master member
@SquirrelTail you should give it one more shot! Shift the cg back a little and try it. There isn’t much to lose...
TOTALLY agree with that!! 👍👍

This is one of those times when I wish this Old Fart had a Eureka moment.

You've obviously checked, double checked, TRIPLE checked....

You've had suggestions from EXPERIENCED Pilots!

You have a new Plane that all of a sudden goes wonky, and CRASHES. 😖😞

You KNOW things like this often end up being painfully OBVIOUS!! 😜 Let's hope for that.

A couple of stupid questions, just to maybe jar your own self help...

It's a symmetrical, non Undercambered Wing. Is that your first?

Thrust Angle was brought up. It wouldn't cause a snap, but a little down/right couldn't hurt, right?

CG can sometimes be a fickle lady! Different Glues, amounts of Glue, electronics placement, etc, etc...
Why not try unpowered glide testing? I've seen Bixler, Grant and Andres do that on nearly all of their designs.
Set all Control Surfaces to neutral, and CHUCK IT. Preferably over soft grass or similar.

Aerodynamics 101 - if it can't Glide right, it WON'T Fly right! 😉

Last thing I can think of... STRAIGHT from the Tubby Cubby files! 😜

My Wings were straight. The Incidence was nearly spot on, the Hstab matched the Wing perfectly and the Vstab was 90 degrees of the Hstab...
What DIDN'T jump out at me, was a SOFT Rudder!! 😳

Did not notice until 35 seconds after Takeoff - SNAP, Roll, NOSEPLANT
ALL in roughly one second!! 😯

My Servo was ONLY moving the bottom 3/4" of the Rudder...
Only while in Flight, with Air Pressure acting against the weakened Surface! 😖

Humor me. Hold one side of the Elevator, while trying to move the other end. If you get more than about 1/32"-1/16" of deflection on ONE half, the Surface is too soft, and you have in effect, a AFT Aileron, instead of an Elevator!!

Try similar to the Rudder. Hold the bottom, try to move the top...

This brings me to a self discovery, based on YOUR experience, similar to mine.
ALWAYS try to get a quality Maiden Video!!! 😜

I FINALLY GOT it. SEEING what happened to you would have been so much easier to diagnose what went wrong.

TELLING everyone what happened carries a pretty strong bias. NOT intentional, but it was you flying, working the Sticks - then OH CRAP! Crash.

Now you've added passion, anger, disappointment and disillusionment. That clouds the sharpest of minds.
Just my observation. 😉

OliverW

Legendary member
TOTALLY agree with that!! 👍👍

This is one of those times when I wish this Old Fart had a Eureka moment.

You've obviously checked, double checked, TRIPLE checked....

You've had suggestions from EXPERIENCED Pilots!

You have a new Plane that all of a sudden goes wonky, and CRASHES. 😖😞

You KNOW things like this often end up being painfully OBVIOUS!! 😜 Let's hope for that.

A couple of stupid questions, just to maybe jar your own self help...

It's a symmetrical, non Undercambered Wing. Is that your first?

Thrust Angle was brought up. It wouldn't cause a snap, but a little down/right couldn't hurt, right?

CG can sometimes be a fickle lady! Different Glues, amounts of Glue, electronics placement, etc, etc...
Why not try unpowered glide testing? I've seen Bixler, Grant and Andres do that on nearly all of their designs.
Set all Control Surfaces to neutral, and CHUCK IT. Preferably over soft grass or similar.

Aerodynamics 101 - if it can't Glide right, it WON'T Fly right! 😉

Last thing I can think of... STRAIGHT from the Tubby Cubby files! 😜

My Wings were straight. The Incidence was nearly spot on, the Hstab matched the Wing perfectly and the Vstab was 90 degrees of the Hstab...
What DIDN'T jump out at me, was a SOFT Rudder!! 😳

Did not notice until 35 seconds after Takeoff - SNAP, Roll, NOSEPLANT
ALL in roughly one second!! 😯

My Servo was ONLY moving the bottom 3/4" of the Rudder...
Only while in Flight, with Air Pressure acting against the weakened Surface! 😖

Humor me. Hold one side of the Elevator, while trying to move the other end. If you get more than about 1/32"-1/16" of deflection on ONE half, the Surface is too soft, and you have in effect, a AFT Aileron, instead of an Elevator!!

Try similar to the Rudder. Hold the bottom, try to move the top...

This brings me to a self discovery, based on YOUR experience, similar to mine.
ALWAYS try to get a quality Maiden Video!!! 😜

I FINALLY GOT it. SEEING what happened to you would have been so much easier to diagnose what went wrong.

TELLING everyone what happened carries a pretty strong bias. NOT intentional, but it was you flying, working the Sticks - then OH CRAP! Crash.

Now you've added passion, anger, disappointment and disillusionment. That clouds the sharpest of minds.
Just my observation. 😉
Agree with all of this! I did some glide tests in my backyard and it would go for a bit then snap in because it got too slow. I have nobody to video me since I am flying out of a park near my house. It is also not my first symmetrical airfoil. I thought about the rudder option, but I had a D'oh moment because my rudder servo died mid flight on the maiden! I wasnt using it anyways lol. I landed and it was at center. Taped it for the second flight and felt no difference.

PoorManRC

Master member
Agree with all of this! I did some glide tests in my backyard and it would go for a bit then snap in because it got too slow. I have nobody to video me since I am flying out of a park near my house. It is also not my first symmetrical airfoil. I thought about the rudder option, but I had a D'oh moment because my rudder servo died mid flight on the maiden! I wasnt using it anyways lol. I landed and it was at center. Taped it for the second flight and felt no difference.
COOL!!! 😎 Process of elimination. It's not the Rudder, and you have experience with a Symmetrical Wing! 😉

I've got the same problem with Video. ALL I've got to do it with is an old Android...
The only way I could have someone film it is either getting my idiot Stepson off of his Video Games long enough...
(He turned the Scout I made for him into a PANCAKE, going WFO into a brick wall. He said it was nothing like the Simulator, and is DONE Flying)

OR, getting my Wife out... Between bitching and her face in the Phone, she misses EVERYTHING!! 😡😠
That's why I have no Tubby Cubby Maiden Video! 😖

MAYBE she just has a high Stall Speed?
Again, no experience to draw from, but Wood Planes I've heard often, fly differently than Foamies.

YOU GOT THIS!! Don't make that pretty girl disposable...
It HAS to be something! 😊

OliverW

Legendary member
COOL!!! 😎 Process of elimination. It's not the Rudder, and you have experience with a Symmetrical Wing! 😉

I've got the same problem with Video. ALL I've got to do it with is an old Android...
The only way I could have someone film it is either getting my idiot Stepson off of his Video Games long enough...
(He turned the Scout I made for him into a PANCAKE, going WFO into a brick wall. He said it was nothing like the Simulator, and is DONE Flying)

OR, getting my Wife out... Between bitching and her face in the Phone, she misses EVERYTHING!! 😡😠
That's why I have no Tubby Cubby Maiden Video! 😖

MAYBE she just has a high Stall Speed?
Again, no experience to draw from, but Wood Planes I've heard often, fly differently than Foamies.

YOU GOT THIS!! Don't make that pretty girl disposable...
It HAS to be something! 😊
Thanks! I have decided I will just fly it until it can't anymore!

Willy Nillies

Elite member
I have been busy with school and bad weather. I just need to fix the battery tray and put a new prop on. I am thinking GLH for my next kit from you guys.....

If you would like, you can ship us your plane, we'll go over it, fix what ever is wrong and get it to fly like we know it can and we will ship it back to you.

What most people don't realize is that the Super Sport was the first airplane that started us into making our kits. Every kit we have made uses a design aspect from the Super Sport (or other lesson learned). The GLH, Barnstormers, Simple 250, Hummer all use the same airfoil that was developed on the Super Sport, as well as plan form, moments, constant chord/taper chord etc.... The Super Sport went through about 18 different variations before it was kitted. The Super Sport ended up flying so well by final version, I just had to kit it......

Let us know if you would like our help.

SIncerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com