windyhillhobbies - 4 Axis CNC hot wire cutter - Build / Review / Discussion

mrjasonclifford

So what you're saying is I have to remodel the pieces myself? I still don't see an "order" option on his website.
I was also wondering how much a kit cost ? But it would also be really cool if he offered to sell the STL for like a single use . It's hard to pay hundreds of dollars for 3D printed parts especially when I have several 3D printers CO2 lasers and cncs. I've been wanting to get into hotwire CNC for a while I just got so many projects on my table right now. Maybe in the future we could collaborate on a design .

or here is a hot wire CNC on thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2834138

I apologize if im steering this thread in the wrong direction maybe I should start another one to talk about different hotwire CNCs and their construction ?

Last edited:

JustPlaneChris

I too was all set to buy the Windy Hill hardware, but alas... not available. I already had the electronics from an earlier CNC router project so I ordered a few more pieces (longer linear rails) and started designing bits in Fusion 360 to print. Just tonight I got everything to move under its own power, but there's still a few things to do:
  • Install limit switches for 'home' position
  • Route wires
  • Make bow hangars (printing as I type)
  • Make bow wire holder things
  • Make platform for foam to sit on (which will also cover the electronics box)
My design doesn't have the towers permanently attached to a middle board. They will stay separate, so I can use either of my two bows (24" or 36") just by adjusting the spacing between the towers and telling the software what size it is. In theory anyway, I've yet to actually cut anything! :)

Attachments

• wire2.jpg
    wire2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • wire1.jpg
    wire1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

mrjasonclifford

I too was all set to buy the Windy Hill hardware, but alas... not available. I already had the electronics from an earlier CNC router project so I ordered a few more pieces (longer linear rails) and started designing bits in Fusion 360 to print. Just tonight I got everything to move under its own power, but there's still a few things to do:
  • Install limit switches for 'home' position
  • Route wires
  • Make bow hangars (printing as I type)
  • Make bow wire holder things
  • Make platform for foam to sit on (which will also cover the electronics box)
My design doesn't have the towers permanently attached to a middle board. They will stay separate, so I can use either of my two bows (24" or 36") just by adjusting the spacing between the towers and telling the software what size it is. In theory anyway, I've yet to actually cut anything! :)

thats what im talking about!!! (y):)(y)
you should start you're own thread . will you share your .STLs ?
what controller are you using ?
I was thinking about using a GRBL Uno shield like RCKeith and 4020 rail because i have some with v wheels but what you got seams like a great start.

JustPlaneChris

Thanks! I'll start a thread, but for now this thing is an unproven, untested design. No idea if it'll even work! :)
I'm using the same Arduino Shield setup that Windy Hill recommends, which was great since I already had it from the Dremel CNC project.

mrjasonclifford

with rckeiths permission this guy made a 3d printed / mdf version of keiths mdf cutter
https://3d-printz.at/produkt/4-axis-cnc-foam-cutter/
That is interesting I was thinking about using my laser cutter to adapt Keith's design to use 1/4in MDF and finger joint construction. I have thought about a lot or different ways I could go about building a foam cutter but finding the time or the space to put it has been the most challenging.