wing aerofoil

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Right, I've epoxyed the port aileron conduit into place, reset the servo and threaded through the cable... Tested it and it all works fine. Only catch is the port wing has twisted slightly, probably from the conduit, so I'll have to correct that as I add the last 3 ribs, the top balsa spar and the covering, then all should be ready to add the leading edge to the entire lot...

Photos tomorrow!!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Well, time to come to the library and start downloading episodes and stuff to watch at home!!

The cable on this port side came out a bit more messier than on the starboard, but doesn't pose a problem. I still have the last 3 ribs to make and glue in place, but for me taking my time with it all is part of the fun... some people don't have the pacience to make a plane out of balsa which generally takes a lot longer than foamboard or depron, some use the excuse of "I don't have time to do that" which I find a little lame... If you have time to put your feet up with a movie and a bowel of popcorn, you have time to do it with a folding table and an exacto knife in front of you!!:eek:... but me, I find it more efficient, less taxing and longer lasting than valium... just don't deprive me of a bottle of white wine whilst I'm doing it:eek:

Anyway... photos!!

DSC_0142.jpg DSC_0143.jpg

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not really interested in relationships and all that... Never have been.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I know, and I still flirt ans such eventhough I don't "want" anything because it's fun. Besides, those I do with know it's just harmless friendly fun, so maybe I'm not SO ebil hehehe:eek:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes, I have been known to "play" a little in the same way, as long as it's harmless and fun, which ebil is. True evil on the other hand, is not. I know the difference and stick to the ebil side of the fence...

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Couple more photos... got all the covering on the top finished and given a quick pass with the sandpaper, and then added the leading edge piece to the mix and left it for Runa to keep an eye on

DSC_0145.jpg

Leading edge dry, corrected a little mistake, as I cut the piece for the leading edge one milimeter too small, so I had to add a small strip of 1mm balsa on the top. One side has had its initial sanding down to match up with the top covering... the 1mm supliment needs to finish curing on the other side before I can sand that down too... just the wingtips left to do now really, then the horns and the oracovering... the latter having to wait because of issues.

DSC_0146.jpg

I have also added a piece of 1.5mm on the underside in the servo box to help reinforce that section a little and to finish it off a little more tidy

DSC_0147.jpg

Freaky_1

old headcase
Looking nice and awesome Runa is such a dutiful helper. Ours would only help with the lightening stage (by shredding it to clawdust).

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Time for some more photos, getting very near the end now. Basically gluing on the wingtips and shaping them, although I still have a lot of fine sanding to do and figure out what mechanism is best for the control horns.

DSC_0149.jpg DSC_0150.jpg DSC_0152.jpg

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
OK then... the structure is finished, the horns are in place, the control cable adjusted to length... all that's left is the oracover, and seeing as that's going to have to wait, I think reall I can "close" this project for now. Adjusting the cables was pretty taxing as the radio I'm using this model on has no subtrim or anything, just the normal trim... so it wasn't just a case of having each aileron move as should whe the other moved, bu tryinh to get them as centered as possible on servo. I also had to add a 65% EPA to it because of the total servo movement, but that came out well too.

Anyway, here's a couple of photos for the closure.

DSC_0153.jpg DSC_0154.jpg DSC_0155.jpg DSC_0157.jpg

Freaky_1

old headcase
Looking great!
Something tells me you're not just waiting patiently for covering and not either building or designing internally.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
The wing is just missing covering, which I have the material, just short an iron... although I am also out of red...

Right now I'm "ummmm'ing and arrr'ing" over details with another project which in tamagochi terms would still be just an unhatched egg still... I have my eye on a balsa scratchbuild, but I want to make a couple of modifications to it, and debating how best to do it. The plane I have my eye on is a french design miniature plank wing called "Fiu" which I think is a really beautiful design for a low wind slope plank with a slight inverted swept wing, only 740mm in wingspan and 360mm in length, which I would like to make with the 2 wings independent rather than one whole wing, make a carry case for it which would only be about 400mm long, and add a rudder in the mix so my left hand doesn't get bored... maybe a split rudder even to use as an airbrake, although that would be hard to do with a 2mm thick rudder...

The plane is desighned to make almost completely out of a single sheet of 2mm balsa, but I would make changes like use carbon fiber on the wing spars instead of balsa, maybe cover the leading edge in 0.5mm balsa, things like that. When it was designed in the late '90s, it was weighed for use with NiCd batteries, larger FM receivers and elevon mixer onboard, all of which can be saved now with a single cell LiPo, 2.4ghz system and the mixer in the radio. I would need to get hold of a 2.4ghz module for my radio for this, as having a 35mhz antenna hanging behind along with the fish design would make it look like one of those typical goldfish that does its business and it's left hanging behind it!! Yukkkkk!!:D
fiu_titre.png fiu_109b.jpg

Last edited: