Wing Design

Squeeeps

So i have a whole bunch of foam board laying around and not much to do with it. recently remembered the old Versa wing and was thinking about cutting one out. but along that was curious what are some guidelines to follow when designing your own wing? i love designing stuff but never tried a wing and was wondering about some rules of thumb to keep in mind. i would like it to be something i can mount up to be FPV and carry a gopro (most likely my session) but even just general wing advice would be much appreciated.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’d try to extend the nose, like a compartment like the spear just bigger so you can attain proper cg without having to use a heavy battery.

Arcfyre

Elite member
So i have a whole bunch of foam board laying around and not much to do with it. recently remembered the old Versa wing and was thinking about cutting one out. but along that was curious what are some guidelines to follow when designing your own wing? i love designing stuff but never tried a wing and was wondering about some rules of thumb to keep in mind. i would like it to be something i can mount up to be FPV and carry a gopro (most likely my session) but even just general wing advice would be much appreciated.

Balance is everything with wings. Check out this tool, which has helped me a lot with custom wings: CG Calc

That being said, the Versa wing is a great platform to start from if you want to get in to designing wings. It's where I started and I've had some great success.

I started with the blunt nose mod, but didn't like how that looked. I expanded on that mod by making two center panels, and stretching the wingspan to over 5 feet. I kept the nose pointy because it looks better, and was able to stuff a 5000 mAh 3S in it. Sweet flying airplane, and looks awesome in the air.

More recently, I added two mini power pods to a versa in a tractor configuration. Another amazing airplane, flies like a dream. I think my next step will be to combine my mods into a stretched-twin-PUSHER-versa. That would be cool to see.

Twin:
20191020_135554.jpg

Stretched:
20191104_202908.jpg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
First and foremost, have fun. Cant go wrong following that rule of thumb.

That CG calculator is very helpful.

As far as design parameters, mostly preference. 22ish degree sweep angle. Not a lot of taper, maybe 25% at the most. A center pod that is longer makes for a sharp looking plane and gives you lots of balancing capabilities. I also like to toe in my winglets 1 degree.
20190811_155238.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That looks Good T.

Are the lines on the leading edge like turbulators used on 3d planes or just design material? Its a cool look but my guess is they have a function.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That looks Good T.

Are the lines on the leading edge like turbulators used on 3d planes or just design material? Its a cool look but my guess is they have a function.
It looks to me like fiber reinforced packing tape...

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Pretty standard 3 break FT style wing. I used extreme packing tape along the leading edge. I do this to most of my builds. Apply tape, bevel, fold, and glue.