Wing for iNav - cheap and cheerful start

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I am wanting to experiment with iNav on a fixed wing plane and when I saw this wing I thought...That looks just right for some fun.
Has anybody else here flown this wing? If so, are there any flying characteristics I should be looking out for.
I am going worth the recommended 1806 motor, 5030 prop, a 1300 3S battery, iNav running on a Omnibus F4 V3 and a mini U-Blox M8N GPS receiver. I understand that a compass and barometer are not needed on a fixed wing as that data can be derived from the GPS stream.
Thoughts???

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I have not seen that specific wing before. I know a lot of people go with the budget S800 wing and use a slightly larger motor 22XX.

I’d love to hear what you think about iNav. I’m in the process of putting a FC with iNav in a tiny FT Dart.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You can get away without a mag, but you want a baro. Luckily there is one built into the FC you chose. I've never seen that wing before, but for the price you can't go too far wrong. There are a few iNav builds going on, we should have a race... ;)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
You can get away without a mag, but you want a baro. Luckily there is one built into the FC you chose. I've never seen that wing before, but for the price you can't go too far wrong. There are a few iNav builds going on, we should have a race... ;)
I know - its a steal at that price - I dare say I will be adding some carbon fiber tubes to increase the stiffness....don't want any flutter!!! :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have not seen that wing, but I just picked up one of these Matek F405-Wing FCs which in theory check all the boxes for an iNav FC
http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-wing
F405-WING_7-1500x600.jpg

And the price would be hard to beat for all the gear split out seperately

Testing of course on dRonin as well as iNav.... :-D Should have a thread up soon, assuming things work as designed....

Cheers!
LitterBug

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I have not seen that wing, but I just picked up one of these Matek F405-Wing FCs which in theory check all the boxes for an iNav FC
http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-wing
View attachment 107399
And the price would be hard to beat for all the gear split out seperately

Testing of course on dRonin as well as iNav.... :-D Should have a thread up soon, assuming things work as designed....

Cheers!
LitterBug

That really does have everything apart from a GPS that you would need - very neat!!! I will look forward to your thread :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The wing arrived today and despite the box being very bashed about it survived the journey.
Seems quite well made, control horns go all the way through, carbon tube for stiffness and a lid very strongly held down by magnets. Getting an F4 flight controller in here is going to be a squeeze but I will definitely be trying, along with an fpv camera.
IMG_20180520_124448600_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think I remember back in the day with the first FC I had bought. That had a barometer on it. There were recommendations to put a piece of foam over the hole in the barometer. Does that still apply to the barometers on newer FC's? Something about air moving past the baro screwed up the accuracy I believe.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I think I remember back in the day with the first FC I had bought. That had a barometer on it. There were recommendations to put a piece of foam over the hole in the barometer. Does that still apply to the barometers on newer FC's? Something about air moving past the baro screwed up the accuracy I believe.
Yes, the barometer gives misreadings if there is direct airflow on it, so a bit of open cell foam is recommended over it.

Last edited:

donalson

I just picked up the cheap knock off SP3 f3 acro board... mostly to experment, the way I see it is I can have a full range 8+ch RX for less than $30... its now got me watching vids about stability control and iNav...

lots of possibilities... an iNav FPV explorer sounds very fun.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Moving forwards on this. Decided to use an ESC which is a bit bigger as it had a 3amp BEC so I don't need to use a separate one and in the limited space I have inside here, that's a win. Mounted it underneath the plane, it will have a good healthy cooling airflow there.
Embedded the GPS receiver in the wing and when that's all fixed in place will have a bit of tape over it so the air will flow nice and smoooooth.
The video transmitter will be embedded into the other wing.
Still waiting for the motor to arrive on the post. It's definitely coming together :)
IMG_20180526_113319389_HDR.jpg IMG_20180526_113237919.jpg IMG_20180526_113444021.jpg

Last edited:

mountaindewdude76

Although I'm like some of the other guys in previous posts, I've not seen this wing before either, but for that price, you can't hardly go wrong. I'm thinking as long as you get good separation between your components, you are going to be rewarded with an awesome Inav wing. I have an Omnibus F4 v2 fc with an M8N GPS installed in an FPV49v4 and an S800 wing and both work very well. Have fun with the build and install! Best of luck with the maiden!!!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Although I'm like some of the other guys in previous posts, I've not seen this wing before either, but for that price, you can't hardly go wrong. I'm thinking as long as you get good separation between your components, you are going to be rewarded with an awesome Inav wing. I have an Omnibus F4 v2 fc with an M8N GPS installed in an FPV49v4 and an S800 wing and both work very well. Have fun with the build and install! Best of luck with the maiden!!!
I'm putting the video transmitter on one wing and the GPS receiver on the other, the wing gets quite thin past the servos so not keen to go cutting deep out there.
This is my first attempt at a wing with iNav so I'm keeping it simple and trying to ensure the wing surface is as clean as possible for good lift.
Caroline :)

Last edited: