Wing for iNav - cheap and cheerful start

slbovey

lol - i can understand that - i've not flown a wing yet but have seen them.
my first test along these lines is an FT Delta which is going to have a mini quad FC for stabilization (it doesnt have spare serial for gps unfortunately :( )

good luck when you get there !

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
lol - i can understand that - i've not flown a wing yet but have seen them.
my first test along these lines is an FT Delta which is going to have a mini quad FC for stabilization (it doesnt have spare serial for gps unfortunately :( )

good luck when you get there !
I made my own wing 'freehand' from a sheet of foamboard but it was not a pleasant flyer - I was constantly fighting it.
Ordered a Rainbow Flying Wing which will inherit the electronics and this is supposed to be a decent flyer! Fingers crossed eh?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The Rainbow Wing 800mm arrived today. I've joined the wing, added the 3 carbon strips, glued in the servos and constructed the motor mount/ electronics housing. Since the ply parts came unpainted in mine they will be bright red, the fastest colour ;) which I'll spray tomorrow.
Hopefully, weather permitting, I'll maiden it this weekend.
All up weight will be around 195grams with a 2S 850mAh zippy battery and 215grams with a 3S 850mAh.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Just tripped over this thread, very cool as I plan on ordering my F405 controller tomorrow!

Very nice and clean build on your wing there Caroline! (Love the little OLED screen!)

IanSR

I just ordered one of those 405 controllers too, so am interested in this as well. I have an AR wing, which is what this is probably a clone of, with the AR Wing being a clone of the RMC Recruit (I think).

Anyway they are quiet easy to launch, grab the wing about a third of the way down the wing in your left hand and literally chuck it up like a frisby like Josh does in the FT videos (but without the twist needed for a frisby), that way you won't cut your hair or chop your fingers off as the wing passes you, mine takes about 75% throttle to launch (it literally pushes the wing out your hand smooth as silk) then as soon as its in the air you can dial that back to 20%, wings are like that crazy uncle everybody has, a bit nuts but a good laugh most of the time, no need for huge throws, 11 degrees will see you doing crazy stunts lol.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Ply bits and the outsides of the two vertical stabilisers sprayed a gorgeous red this morning before work. Construction hopefully completes this evening.
I need to get fully confident in flying a wing before I risk my iNav beauty to the skies :)

slbovey

I have considered a longEZ with an FC inside if theres enough room - control surfaces are like a wing so should work - that old lack of time thing for me again :(
just need to find a way to get my 5yr old daughter interested - she enjoyed the FT flyer dropping a parachute man for a while but guess who had to run after it ! :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I have considered a longEZ with an FC inside if theres enough room - control surfaces are like a wing so should work - that old lack of time thing for me again :(
just need to find a way to get my 5yr old daughter interested - she enjoyed the FT flyer dropping a parachute man for a while but guess who had to run after it ! :)
Well after the really speedy build and it's great performance in the test flight I would definitely recommend the Rainbow Flying Wing as a confidence builder!!
FC in a Long-EZ....Ohhh don't give me ideas!!!! :)

IanSR

65mm tiny whoops have flight controllers, there's even a beta flight brushless one with enough uarts for GPS, so putting a flight controller in a long-ez shouldn't be a problem, oh dam, sorry.....

donalson

65mm tiny whoops have flight controllers, there's even a beta flight brushless one with enough uarts for GPS, so putting a flight controller in a long-ez shouldn't be a problem, oh dam, sorry.....

the prob with tiny whoop FCs is most are made for brushed motors... and even the ones that aren't usually have the RX built in and they aren't full range I don't believe...

IanSR

the prob with tiny whoop FCs is most are made for brushed motors... and even the ones that aren't usually have the RX built in and they aren't full range I don't believe...

Well I've just cut everything out for the EZ and just eyeballing it I'd say there is plenty of room for a regular size flight controller, and dare I say it, probably enough room for a f450 thingy, if it's a squeeze, I wouldn't see why widening the tub wouldn't be a problem.

Personally I will just stick one of my lemon rx stabiliser plus's in, I love those things they're great and as long as you're a few mistakes high there's plenty of time to switch into stability mode if in trouble before it crashes lol. Plus they are, afaik, full range and tiny to boot, no bigger than a small 1s cell.

slbovey

sounds like others will get there before me - keeping in mind that my current build i started at christmas :oops:
Luckily the FT flyer and FT Sparrow have kept flying - although the sparrow is about to get FPV'd shortly which should be fun

IanSR

Well I've just cut everything out for the EZ and just eyeballing it I'd say there is plenty of room for a regular size flight controller, and dare I say it, probably enough room for a f450 thingy, if it's a squeeze, I wouldn't see why widening the tub wouldn't be a problem.

Personally I will just stick one of my lemon rx stabiliser plus's in, I love those things they're great and as long as you're a few mistakes high there's plenty of time to switch into stability mode if in trouble before it crashes lol. Plus they are, afaik, full range and tiny to boot, no bigger than a small 1s cell.

Just for reference here's a flight controller rested on my Long-EZ, so you'll need to widen the fuselage by the thickness of a single layer of foamboard if you want to put an quadcopter style flight controller in it, personally I'd just move the inner score cut to the outer one, make it easier.

image.jpeg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Well after the really speedy build and it's great performance in the test flight I would definitely recommend the Rainbow Flying Wing as a confidence builder!!
Nice work stuffing that in there :) I was rummaging through my parts bin the other day and found one of those little OLED displays, I think I'll be throwing it in my iNav build as well. Very handy.

I need to get a better parts bin!

@Caroline - so when is she going up?

DamoRC

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Just for reference here's a flight controller rested on my Long-EZ, so you'll need to widen the fuselage by the thickness of a single layer of foamboard if you want to put an quadcopter style flight controller in it, personally I'd just move the inner score cut to the outer one, make it easier.

You could also get one of the micro 20x20 FC's, all the features and less space.

I need to get a better parts bin!

My SOP when ordering stuff (cheap stuff like this anyway) - Need 1, order 3 :)