Wing Joining

ItMightFly

Hello FliteTest community!
I’m doing a father/son project with my dad. We are building a giant 10ft wingspan twin engine aircraft. I came up with the design in a couple of hours and built a 5ft wingspan single engine version as well as a 2.5 foot version as a twin. We decided to go twin for motor size/cost. A problem that we predict to face is transportation of the beast. The wing we think should be something we can tear apart into two 5ft parts. I’ve seen it done with large balsa built 3D aircraft and other sports models. What is the best way for a large foam board aircraft? The predicted weight of the plane is 10-12 pounds. We are both experienced builders, my dad is more of a balsa builder, and I have been pretty successful with my own foam board designs as well as FT builds. Any suggestions for wing joining? We will have a large carbon spar going through the center of the wing. It is a high wing with the wing resting on top of the fuselage.

Excited to see what you all suggest!

Also, the plane is bound for FliteFest East. Look forward to seeing you all there!

kdobson83

Well I have zero experience building big planes. But I know a couple people that do. Josh and David. They did monster planes for their 400th episode. The planes were so popular they uploaded a monster building tips video shortly after. The Monster Plane video is one of if not my favorite FT video. Here's the link to the building tips video, might give you some ideas.
And here's the link to the actual 400th episode.
Anyway, without pictures or better description of what your working with, I'm afraid I can't give any idea. Good luck! And I hope to see it at FF!!!!

Piotrsko

Master member
I use carbon fiber arrow shafts for spars with music wire (sanded to fit inside the shaft) for joiners. Depending on arrow size on really thin shafts, I use 2 hot glued together. Otherwise foamboard or balsa for thickness. I find mine at thrift stores for about $0.50 each or less like free in trash cans/dumpsters. In the last 20 years, haven't broken or folded a wing even on the combat stuff.

ItMightFly

Well I have zero experience building big planes. But I know a couple people that do. Josh and David. They did monster planes for their 400th episode. The planes were so popular they uploaded a monster building tips video shortly after. The Monster Plane video is one of if not my favorite FT video. Here's the link to the building tips video, might give you some ideas.
And here's the link to the actual 400th episode.
Anyway, without pictures or better description of what your working with, I'm afraid I can't give any idea. Good luck! And I hope to see it at FF!!!!

I use carbon fiber arrow shafts for spars with music wire (sanded to fit inside the shaft) for joiners. Depending on arrow size on really thin shafts, I use 2 hot glued together. Otherwise foamboard or balsa for thickness. I find mine at thrift stores for about $0.50 each or less like free in trash cans/dumpsters. In the last 20 years, haven't broken or folded a wing even on the combat stuff.

Thank you, guys! I will try and see what I can do. The plane is just imaginary, so pictures are something I cannot produce. Maybe I'll get some pictures of the smaller ones, but the design is changing and improving as I make them. I started with the 5', and that thing flies but flies like junk. The smaller 2.5" version is better in terms of control as the two motors cancel each other's torque. The 5' has a huge mouth the swallows and traps air, that was also fixed in the smaller one. Hopefully in the giant 10' version that we will make the twin motors will have enough power, and the wings can lift it. The wings on the 5' only had to separate from the fuselage. Here, the wings have to do that, and separate from itself. I'll be showing my dad what you guys gave me! I'll have some more questions as we go along I'm sure.