Wings Without Fuselage

Anthemius

Wings Without Fuselage it is a succes..)

hello

I build a wing59 inch with a curve at each end.
a width of 7 inches, 5inch, 4.7 inch.
the problem is that I do not know what I could come up fuselage.
if by chance one of you could help me with That It will be awesome

I thank you in advance

last wings 80 inch

AntheWings.png 382202_10151484079481280_959329544_n.jpg 550003_10151484079501280_1025288198_n.jpg

Anthemius

Last edited:

earthsciteach

It appears that you are building a sailplane wing, given those dimensions. I would envision a long, sleek fuselage.

What materials are you planning on using in the construction of the fuselage? Either foam or balsa would work for your purposes.

lonewolf7717

Nah! scratch the rc plane thing.....wax that sucker and take it out to the slopes....should cut some sick lines in the powder.:cool:

Anthemius

It appears that you are building a sailplane wing, given those dimensions. I would envision a long, sleek fuselage.

What materials are you planning on using in the construction of the fuselage? Either foam or balsa would work for your purposes.

hello Earthsciteach thank you for responding me.

i dont know really what kind of material i have to use. normaly i build with foam and some balsa/carbon/aluminium
what do you think about the length of the fuselage ?

Anthemius

Nah! scratch the rc plane thing.....wax that sucker and take it out to the slopes....should cut some sick lines in the powder.:cool:

lol ;)

earthsciteach

Well, in this case, the fuselage is only there to carry the electronics and hold a tail or canard to counter the pitching moment of the wing. Typically, the fuselage is shorter than the wing span. Therefore, I'd take a not-so-scientific guess at around 45-50 inches.

lonewolf7717

Well it "looks" right.....so far as proportions are concerned. There is a golden rule regarding fuselage to wing ratio.....unfortunately that rule is widely argued, I typical stick with fuselage length 75% of wingspan with a 60% tail 40% nose setup as a generic guideline that I then deviate from often lol. you have a ton of wing area....any clue what weight you are at now without any components?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's interesting. I have noticed that most sport aerobatic and 3D planes have a fuselage that's actually longer than the wingspan. I've been wondering what the rule is as well. I also noticed that those planes tend to have a much longer wing chord. They gliders and such have such long wings, with narrow chord and shorter fuselages. I would love to know why it all needs to be.

earthsciteach

Looks great to me! You can definitely make that thing fly. How much does it weight? Is the covering brown packaging tape?

Anthemius

thx to you Guys.

the weight is 14.815oz without components. i have to wait before i put them. no servos anymore..
the covering brown is packaging tape. works fine for me. and not so heavy. and you can sand it and have a really nice result after painting.
im really exciting to put this thing in the Air.. :)

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
.. I've been wondering what the rule is as well...
Funny rules - Rules of thumb - Rules for gliders - Rules for pattern planes - Lots of rules.
Look at the German n British straight wings without any fuses and stabilizers - No rules ;-)
As long as it looks fine and flies great you are within the rules.

I am interested in the flight of this plane. The packing tape makes it look like a built up wing with a spar but it seems only to be the overlap of the tapes making it looking like it. The rubber bands to fix the wing on the fuse also looks interesting - smart way not to have any ugly sticks through the fuse. The wing profile looks a bit on the rough side?

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

Based on your deminsions and weight here are a few numbers for ya

Wing Loading
6.13oz/sqft or 19g/sqdm (no components)
Component Estimates
Motor= 78g (example DT700)
ESC= 25g (generic 20amp ESC)
Lipo= 190g (generic 2200mah) *note estimate only, you may need a larger lipo for proper ballast
UBEC= 10g (generic 3amp/5v)
Sevos= 48g (generic 9g servos 12g per with wire)
Misc= 50g (hardware, pushrods, wire connectors, reciever, servo extentions, motor mount etc..etc....etc)

Revised Wing Loading AUW
AUW with components 29oz or 821g
Wing Loading = 12oz/sqft or 37g/sqdm

Conclusion= At 12oz/sqft you have a relatively "floaty" parkflyer with low stall speed, very flyable! A DT700 motor would make for a very good fit even if slightly underproped should still get close to 1 to 1 thrust weight ratio. These are not quite sailplane numbers though and if thats what you are after I would suggest downsizing lipo while keeping in mind the lipo has to weigh enough to balance out against the weight of the tail. If you could go with a smaller lipo you could get into the 9-10oz/sqft range which would make the plane VERY floaty with a slight breeze....lots of power off gliding.....which if it were me personally thats the route I would go even if that meant I has to adjust nose to tail length to accommodate for lighter lipo.

lonewolf7717

I agree funny rules.....none of them apply in all situations....but I do like that 75% wingspan 60/40 nose to tail ratio for basic simple parkflyers....at the very least a good starting point to deviate from based on build and flight requirements.

lonewolf7717

few other suggestions.....mount elevator and rudder servo closer to cg under main wing and utilize push rods rather than mounting on tail.....by doing this you are keeping tail as light as possible by not leveraging the weight of servos so far back.....lighter tail means less nose ballast required....meaning smaller lipo and better wing loading numbers.....you could also consider not even doing ailerons....save the weight of two extra servos and hardware.....just make this a 3channel elevator/rudder/throttle plane

Anthemius

Funny rules - Rules of thumb - Rules for gliders - Rules for pattern planes - Lots of rules.
Look at the German n British straight wings without any fuses and stabilizers - No rules ;-)
As long as it looks fine and flies great you are within the rules.

I am interested in the flight of this plane. The packing tape makes it look like a built up wing with a spar but it seems only to be the overlap of the tapes making it looking like it. The rubber bands to fix the wing on the fuse also looks interesting - smart way not to have any ugly sticks through the fuse. The wing profile looks a bit on the rough side?

hello Pgerts

i have found the system with ruber band on videos ExperimentalAirline : http://www.youtube.com/user/ExperimentalAirlines
* videos with a lot of very useful tips and tricks. a big thx to Ed for that.
when i would fly this plane I would make a video.

Anthemius

Based on your deminsions and weight here are a few numbers for ya

Wing Loading
6.13oz/sqft or 19g/sqdm (no components)
Component Estimates
Motor= 78g (example DT700)
ESC= 25g (generic 20amp ESC)
Lipo= 190g (generic 2200mah) *note estimate only, you may need a larger lipo for proper ballast
UBEC= 10g (generic 3amp/5v)
Sevos= 48g (generic 9g servos 12g per with wire)
Misc= 50g (hardware, pushrods, wire connectors, reciever, servo extentions, motor mount etc..etc....etc)

Revised Wing Loading AUW
AUW with components 29oz or 821g
Wing Loading = 12oz/sqft or 37g/sqdm

Conclusion= At 12oz/sqft you have a relatively "floaty" parkflyer with low stall speed, very flyable! A DT700 motor would make for a very good fit even if slightly underproped should still get close to 1 to 1 thrust weight ratio. These are not quite sailplane numbers though and if thats what you are after I would suggest downsizing lipo while keeping in mind the lipo has to weigh enough to balance out against the weight of the tail. If you could go with a smaller lipo you could get into the 9-10oz/sqft range which would make the plane VERY floaty with a slight breeze....lots of power off gliding.....which if it were me personally thats the route I would go even if that meant I has to adjust nose to tail length to accommodate for lighter lipo.

hi LoneWolf7717

thx for your advises.. :)

I do not know what I should use for engine .. I have two engines.
the spitz08:
http://www.cmbmodelisme.fr/boutique/fp4599/MOTEUR, SPITZ, 08 +, CONTROLLER, 15.html
and spitz10:
http://www.cmbmodelisme.fr/boutique/fp3068/MOTEUR, SPITZ, 10 +, CONTROLLER, 25.html

I think spitz10 will be better.

motor spitz10+ control :Weight 80g = 2.8219oz
Lipo 1800 : 152g = 5.3616oz
1 servo : 9g = j have 0.31747oz its ok i hoop?
Misc : 50g = 1.7637oz yeah something like that :)

I do not know how my plane will fly with this setup .. we'll see. :)
for the ailerons, I was thinking of using a single servo like on my BabyBlender.. it would work?

thank you very much for your help.

Anthemius

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

Yup the spitz10 looks like a good fit...although with as floaty as this model will be the spitz08 should work as well, only slightly underpowered.

Anthemius

387466_10151489804911280_1979809825_n.jpg hello
tonight I installed the servos.
So I could try tomorrow. but I still do not know what is my CG.
someone would have an idea?

The weight is now with all component 770g = 27.161oz.

thank you in advance for your help

Anthemius