Winter Build 2018/19: Hangar 9 P-47D Razorback

kilroy07

Legendary member
Wow, I go on the road for a couple of weeks come back and THIS!...
That's is really going to be one of the most beautiful builds I've ever seen, great work man, great work!
(y)(y)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thanks Kilroy! I really look forward to sharing another build at events this year.

Not a terribly productive evening by a visual measurement. What you do NOT see is that I grabbed a bunch of video footage during this application. Like I've said, I'm making a series of videos to explain this entire process, which is why I'm not going into too much detail here. A lot of this is rinse and repeat.
IMG_7908.JPG

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Dude. DUDE. You're gonna need to bring a third tent to FFOH just for that plane, I'd be afraid to BREATH around it, it's so SHINY!! :D

Having just covered the fuselage of my own F-16 model recently, I can only gawk and awe at the cleanliness of that first application. So very well done. :cool:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Save the gawking for when she is polished ;) Seriously, the polished look is MUCH more striking. That being said, I will be investing in a package of microfiber towels for handling her. Also, I picked up a solvent-based polish to apply on the finished airplane. I discovered it years ago in high school when working at a bagel shop. Sheila Shine. Its great stuff for metal surfaces to keep clean, reduce tarnish, and eliminate pesky fingerprints.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
AHAHAHAHAH!!!!! I'm DIEING guys! Funny stuff. While I do have an aversion to beaches due to knowing what sorts of parasites live in the sand, I'm actually not too concerned about touches. The Corsair taught me that most people do not want to stand too close to something that looks nice, let alone touch it. I honestly think dust will be more of an issue than fingerprints... unless it rains.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I finished up the bottom of the fuselage last night. Not without challenges but the exhaust scoop was completed. It is probably the most difficult thing to cover using this process, due to its curvature.

Attachments

• IMG_7913.JPG
    IMG_7913.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7914.JPG
    IMG_7914.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Been a long weekend but I did finish the covering. It was not without issues and several panels needing to be re-done. The filet around the wing root was very difficult. One side I ended up scrapping TWO sections before I got it applied right. It was a LOT of waste material. I want to also interject that I still have AMPLE aluminum left on the roll. This is after many many scrapped pieces. I just HAD to do a quick mock up for you guys.
IMG_7925.JPG IMG_7926.JPG

So, we now are down to THREE weeks until I leave for SEFF and I am setting myself up to make things happen in a hurry. I need to clean up the seams with acetone now and then move onto the polishing. I can then move onto paint and THEN I can do all the rivets. After the rivets I can do final assembly of all the control surfaces, their servos, set the throws and make a cradle to transport this beauty. Homestretch now.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I wiped down all the parts with acetone along the seams. This removes any residual adhesive that may ooze out. I then wiped it down with glass cleaner to remove any dust, contaminants, and film that may cause the buffing wheel to gum up. I then started the very dirty job of buffing the parts. I completed all the parts but the wings and fuselage. See a couple of shots below. The results are quite striking.
IMG_7935.JPG IMG_7936.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
I wiped down all the parts with acetone along the seams. This removes any residual adhesive that may ooze out. I then wiped it down with glass cleaner to remove any dust, contaminants, and film that may cause the buffing wheel to gum up. I then started the very dirty job of buffing the parts. I completed all the parts but the wings and fuselage. See a couple of shots below. The results are quite striking.
View attachment 128422 View attachment 128423

Wow, I need my shades. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Wrapped up the polishing last night. I'll warn you, this is a VERY messy endeavor. The polishing compound gets everywhere. WEAR A MASK. The iron oxide compound is NOT something you want to breathe in. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. You do not want bits of aluminum and compound slung into your eyes. Lastly, wear clothes you really don't care about. I had on a shirt and an undershirt, and the compound still got all over my chest. Be ready to take a serious shower when you are done. The shop is a mess and all the parts need to be cleaned off from excess compound but the parts are looking fantastic.
IMG_7939.JPG IMG_7941.JPG