Winter Quad

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ok this winter has been hard so far.

Super cold temps and a few hard landings.

But worst of all I miss flying my Tricopter and 250.

A few friends and I bantered around the idea of making the 250 or Tri more winter friendly but decided it was more logical to cobble parts together and make UGLY 2.0

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?12009-While-I-wait-for-250-parts

14 - 11.jpg

What I'm thinking it build a quad using parts I have (will have to borrow/steal from a few planes) and then make a frame that has a haul.

All the gear would be enclosed.

Think FT ToolBox but the haul would allow me to land in the snow and ski along/prevent the booms from tipping over into the snow.

All theory right now but I'm itching to build and fly again.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ok... update.

Think Baby Average Carrier.

My son and I were about to build a WWII bomber, well this is going to be even better.
Bomb drop pop in the belly and the ability to eject parachute dudes.

Plus 3 FPV cameras which will be switch-able.

Suddenly we have a new winter project.

Cost foam and other supplies. I have all the gear at home.

T-Richard

I just finished a weather proof 330 quad. Very budjet minded but also waterproof and made a little dome to protect from excessive cold/wind... I'll try it out in the next few days and see how it holds up.

20150115_164422.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Very cool.

I'm going to put some 11" props on the 2830 motors.

Thinking 60"x48" as that will fit into the car nicely.

1/4" frame with the haul being done with $Store foam board to keep the weight down.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I'd considered protecting the tri or quad 250 but the battery all hang to low and my son was bugging me about a bomber.

Now we can HOVER :)

Twitchity

Interesting build, I can't wait to see it completed :) I do have to admit, I was amused at the flight attempt. It reminded me of a fish flopping around on the ground. That is a pretty big quad.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yeah too floppy.

Plus with the lack of space I was not about to push the throttle.

So a lot of ground effect is happening.

Not to mention 3 of 4 motors are horrible out of balance due to past crashes.

I'm going to cut the shafts down soon but this evening I plan of dropping by the hardware store for 3-4 pieces of aluminium tubing.

I can very quickly weld a frame together.

LennyPane

zenFPV
good idea to make a weather proof copter! two newbie questions though:
what needs to be done to make it weather proof? is making the electronics water tight enough?
and possibly a dumb question:

I just finished a weather proof 330 quad
seen these 250, 330 ect. descriptions alot, are they referring to the motor to motor distance? or the diameter of the quad? or something else?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
There is a FT article on how to coat the gear but really as long as you can keep the ESC, battery, rx and so on clear of water you are gold.

The motors can be exposed but be mindful of the snow as the heat from the can will ice up.

Tupperware containers work well but you will want ventilation.

Ocean

what needs to be done to make it weather proof? is making the electronics water tight enough?
and possibly a dumb question:

seen these 250, 330 ect. descriptions alot, are they referring to the motor to motor distance? or the diameter of the quad? or something else?

The number usually refers to motor to motor diagonal distance in mm.

T-Richard

Yes, sort of. I did enclose the flight controller in a tupperware in addition to using the waterproofing spray. I am told that flight controller hate direct cold so that was the idea to keep it less exposed. On top of that I just tried flipping it (mistake) and the tupperware kept the kk board and my receiver safe. One prop broken but otherwise all is well

Last edited:

LennyPane

zenFPV
The number usually refers to motor to motor diagonal distance in mm.

right thanks! that means i'm planning a Tri 650 right now as my first, might be a little big. getting off topic..

Yes, sort of. I did enclose the flight controller in a tupperware in addition to using the waterproofing spray. I am told that flight controller hate direct cold so that was the idea to keep it less exposed. On top of that I just tried flipping it (mistake) and the tupperware kept the kk board and my receiver safe. One prop broken but otherwise all is well

waterproofing spray, of course! now i remember seeing a yt video on that! weird bubbly stuff...

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
So the 2 pieces of wood made a big difference.
I even found a way to work in the old ugly quad into the project.

Next will be to seal up all the gear since I did get a lot of snow in there while testing last night.

And as you can see from the video I need to get into the KK settings. ;)

IMG_2712.JPG IMG_2713.JPG