Winter Storch on skis!

Arcfyre

Elite member
Had a chance to fly again today! Love this bird on skis! Enjoy the pics everyone. My son had a blast too.
ste.jpg
IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3563.JPG
IMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
@Arcfyre seems like you had a blast. I love the skis and the history behind them. I wish we had snow here. As much as I love flying in green I would also love flying in white :). Seems like your son is growing fast since the last time I saw a picture / video of him. Handing him the remotes again?

Arcfyre

Elite member
@mayan it was a really good time. My son had as much fun chasing the airplane on the ground as he did watching it fly.

As for handing him the remote, I plan on starting that this spring. He drives a truck right now pretty well, so he's getting the basics of RC down. RC in three dimensions is a little trickier though, as you know.

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan it was a really good time. My son had as much fun chasing the airplane on the ground as he did watching it fly.

As for handing him the remote, I plan on starting that this spring. He drives a truck right now pretty well, so he's getting the basics of RC down. RC in three dimensions is a little trickier though, as you know.
True. Recently my son was chasing the parachute trying to catch it in the air.

Bayboos

Recently my son was chasing the parachute trying to catch it in the air.

Well, last time I was flying my Storch with my son (age 8), he was trying to catch it mid-air. And was pretty close.

Beautiful pictures, Arcfyre; I wish to have the weather like this. Looks like you two had a blast!

Mozella

I live too far south to fly on skis now, but when I lived in St. Louis I logged many many hours of snow flying with a variety of aircraft. Folks tried all sorts of weird spring loaded pivot mechanisms, rubber bands, fishing line, etc. etc. At first I tried several pivoting designs too.

None of these designed really worked and I eventually converted every other flyer over to my simple and greatly improved design. I simply bolted the ski rigidly to the landing gear with no ability to pivot at all in the case of sheet aluminum landing gear legs. With wire gear legs, where fixing the angle was more difficult, I stabilized the skis with taut wires fore and aft.

The key to success is fixing the angle of attack. The ski should be roughly level with the snow when the aircraft is in the landing/takeoff attitude without any tendency to pivot.

There was no tendency to tip over or dig in either on hard of soft snow.

I made my skis out of two layers of 1/64" plywood, laminated with the curved nose area formed over a pipe. Then I applied MonoKote to make the bottom slick and smooth. These days I would 3D print the skis.

Attachments

• Scan Two-44.jpg
    Scan Two-44.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 0

Arcfyre

Elite member
Goofin' off with my modified Storch! These skis work amazingly well. If I had a dedicated camera person today I'd show you how she flies, but for now you'll have to be content with a taxiing video.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Goofin' off with my modified Storch! These skis work amazingly well. If I had a dedicated camera person today I'd show you how she flies, but for now you'll have to be content with a taxiing video.

LOL, play with water and you might get wet! That was a pretty close call, there at the end. I love the way it moved around on the ice, though. Sounded pretty cool, too.

The FT storch is definitely a lot of fun in the winter!

Nice flight! Slick one-wheel touch and go, there!

Bayboos

LOL that's a lot of rubber :) But I like the idea, it actually may work; even though the skis seem to be on the small side.

urbanrooster

The proof of concept worked great but it took a lot of stick to get up on plane. But once you did it took off ok. Landing was ok as well but if you chop the throttle too quickly it sinks in. Some bigger ones would be good in the future. But it takes no time to put them on.