Wire size

MacandRita

Hi all,
Can someone tell me what size wiring I need to make up a short extension lead to go between a 3s 2200mah lipo and a 30amp esc with XT60 connectors. I had to move the esc forward on the cub and now my fat fingers cannot make the connection inside the fuse. Extension will only be 100mm just enough for the esc cable to clear the top of the fuse for connection before attaching the wing. As I understand it the awg rating is lower for heavier wiring but not sure how it relates to current rating. TIA
Mac

MacandRita

Thanks Merv, had that worked out but how do I work out what that size is when it does not say on the esc. The wires on the battery are much thicker but again nothing to indicate size. Is there a wire size chart anywhere to indicate dimensions and capacity? I did find an extension lead online for $6 but the P&H was $10 or spent $150 for free shipping. Probably going to find the same issue for a small roll of two core. Already have the connectors. Might find the wire in the local Tandy shop once I can work out the size.

moret

The specs on my 3S and 4S 2200 batteries say 12 AWG. I found that in the specs section on their website. I got me 2-3 foot of black - red wiring at my local hardware store. (Ace) Do not get house wiring, get auto wiring. House wiring is to hard to bend. Radio shack would have been a good place but they are gone around here. Auto part store should have it also. the hardware store was by the foot not the roll so you could get down to 1 foot.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I usually go down to the thrift store or hardware store and buy some extension cord. Look at the 14 &16 gauge wire. Use the TLAR method (that looks about right).

dayve

The specs on my 3S and 4S 2200 batteries say 12 AWG. I found that in the specs section on their website. I got me 2-3 foot of black - red wiring at my local hardware store. (Ace) Do not get house wiring, get auto wiring. House wiring is to hard to bend. Radio shack would have been a good place but they are gone around here. Auto part store should have it also. the hardware store was by the foot not the roll so you could get down to 1 foot.

Yep. You want stranded wire, not solid. Automotive wiring would work. Small lengths of fine-stranded, silicone insulated wire (just like the stuff on your battery packs) are available fairly cheaply on eBay, banggood, etc. with free shipping. Example of 12 AWG silicone wire on eBay

Bricks

Master member
Yep. You want stranded wire, not solid. Automotive wiring would work. Small lengths of fine-stranded, silicone insulated wire (just like the stuff on your battery packs) are available fairly cheaply on eBay, banggood, etc. with free shipping. Example of 12 AWG silicone wire on eBay

This is the best stuff to use as even automotive wire is pretty stiff and after repeated bending can break the inside strands of copper wire. I learned the hard way soldering up some JST connectors worked good for a while but they would break right at the solder joint.

Arcfyre

Elite member
If you're in a real bind, speaker wire will work too. It's not ideal, but I've had success with using it.