Wizard x220s motors not spinning but are armed?

Jake-p

Hey guys, I have recently bought a wizard x220s and set it up through betaflight. I took it for a test flight and had a little crash into a bush. I quickly unarmed the quadcopter and went and retrieved it.
I noticed after flight time was at 4mins so I thought that's enough for the first flight and went to recharge the battery.
After the battery was fully charged, I tried again and I noticed when I turned on the drone, the props didn't move at all (the first time they all moved slightly when booted up). I continued to arm the quad and the appropriate lights came on to show it's armed. But none of the motors spun.
I then plugged it in the computer and tried to diagnose the problem and in the motor tab, I try to manually power the motors and the values come up but again, the motors aren't spinning ?
I noticed when the drone is powered there is two short blinks on the top circuit board. When armed there is a solid blue light on the second from the top circuit board.

Just wondering if anyone knew what's going on?

FDS

Elite member
Somewhere something is broken. If you are not getting any of the motors working you need to look at the arming flags in Betaflight. They tell you wether it’s armed or why not.
Does it have separate ESC’s? If so then test the motors one at a time using the motor sliders in Betaflight (TAKE THE PROPS OFF) and see if they are working. If it has a 4:1 esc then something in that has failed and none of the motors are working because the ESC has died. You can check the connections to the ESC, if there’s a ribbon connector to the FC those can be damaged in flight.
I would also recommend building a Smoke Stopper and making use of it for testing.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My guess if you crashed hard enough the FC took a good hit and the accelerometers lost its base of level. It now thinks it is angled too far and will not arm. If the motors twitched at boot up and proper tones were emitted as well as proper status lights This would be my guess.

Re calibrate the esc's and try again. If this works then change the arm angle to 180 so the quad can arm at any angle. Finally if you are using flysky or spectrum the default ranges for all axis are way under what flight controllers look for. Go back and reset up the radio so the ranges are 1000us to 2000us on all channels and centers are at 1500us. The sweet spot on spectrunm gear is to set channel ranges in the radio to roughly 147% Not sure on Flysky but I would assume they are similar.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
That’s a good point. I always set my angle at 180 degrees so it doesn’t matter but if this was on the default settings that would not be the case, the arming flags would show that wouldn’t they?

Jake-p

My guess if you crashed hard enough the FC took a good hit and the accelerometers lost its base of level. It now thinks it is angled too far and will not arm. If the motors twitched at boot up and proper tones were emitted as well as proper status lights This would be my guess.

Re calibrate the esc's and try again. If this works then change the arm angle to 180 so the quad can arm at any angle. Finally if you are using flysky or spectrum the default ranges for all axis are way under what flight controllers look for. Go back and reset up the radio so the ranges are 1000us to 2000us on all channels and centers are at 1500us. The sweet spot on spectrunm gear is to set channel ranges in the radio to roughly 147% Not sure on Flysky but I would assume they are similar.

That's the thing it wasn't a hard crash at all, but ill look at it again thanks

Jake-p

Somewhere something is broken. If you are not getting any of the motors working you need to look at the arming flags in Betaflight. They tell you wether it’s armed or why not.
Does it have separate ESC’s? If so then test the motors one at a time using the motor sliders in Betaflight (TAKE THE PROPS OFF) and see if they are working. If it has a 4:1 esc then something in that has failed and none of the motors are working because the ESC has died. You can check the connections to the ESC, if there’s a ribbon connector to the FC those can be damaged in flight.
I would also recommend building a Smoke Stopper and making use of it for testing.

Are you talking about the flag under the battery status up the top of betaflight? Cause that flag lights up when I arm the quad.
It's a 4in1 esc

FDS

Elite member
Theres a playlist of these that explain all the arming flags better than I can.
Have you looked at the arming angle?
EEDF22FE-A1CC-4491-908A-29470A6EF8DE.png

Any short, wire coming out or small problem can cause something bigger.

Jake-p

I just went to change the arming angle and I can see arming tab but cant see the values. Do i need to plug in the battery for this ?

FDS

Elite member
You need to enable the accelerometer, the value should appear. You need to calibrate the accelerometer as well. You don’t need the battery, it all works off the 5v from USB.
You should go through your set up thorough from start to finish. Bardwell has another great video on that, just don’t re flash your flight controller, do make a back up and use diff_all to get a dump of the CLI. Video is here.

chivatillo

I'm now having this issue, the LEDs on the back are responding to what my controller sends the drone, although none of the motors spin. I have tried reconfiguring the accelerometer in betaflight and no luck, I also cannot manually trigger then motors from betaflight. Not sure what it could be, one moment it was working, then I had a slight crash, and then none were working.

Any and all help is appreciated - WARNING I am a complete noob and this is my first drone.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Check if motor stop is on, if so the motors won't idle when armed... depending on the quality of the FC they can get damaged when they take hits and Ive even seen configurations lost. You also may have accidentally changed it without noticing.

Id also check all your solder joints, see if you pulled up any pads or if wires came desoldered. also there may be some conductive something (solder/wire blobs) on your board that are shorting it out.... Its worth a check.