WL Toys V929 Quad Copter Review

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Andre, You have to play it by ear for spare parts! If you use entire units then you end up with some parts that may never need replacement, Transmitter for sure would likely not need replacement. You could buy the BNF models but the discount sans transmitter is not that much but it's something you will have to determine in your overall business plan. Bang Good does sell 4 packs of the more popular replacements and that is what I would look at. Mainly arms, gears, shafts, props and motors will be your main replacement items.

Have a look at this link for alternative body ideas.

http://www.micro-flight.com/BLADE mQX Upgrades.htm

Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thought so... I'll bring in some sets, then I'll see what people ask for and order that.

As for wholesale, it seem to be 12 units per carton. At 12 units, the weight goes over 4 kg which is the no-customs limit. So wholesale means more profit but need to pay customs.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
A friend of mine who is a businessman said he could help me, but since he is a businessman he wants to split profits 50%... Which means he'll make easy money with me out there trying to sell something.

I really don't like the idea of 50% - but as I'm not a businessman I don't know what is right or wrong. What splitting percentage would you recommend? I only want to make enough money with him to continue on my own as soon as possible.

earthsciteach

I guess the question to ask is, how much money is he putting up for this? If he's fronting the cost, 50% may not be unreasonable.

earthsciteach

Yeah, I can understand that. But, at the moment it is an easy option for you. Second question to ask is, what happens if your endeavor doesn't work? What will your investor's feelings be? Expect you to reimburse him?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The fact that he's a friend makes it particularly difficult seeing he's taking on all the risk. Even small amounts of money can become big barriers between friends. Sad but true.

I'd go it alone if possible. Start off small with your own money and invest your profits back into it until you get decent cash-flow. With the projected profit margin being pretty high, you'll be growing exponentially with every sale.

Tritium

LM you beat me to it. Friends and even Family can become bitter enemy's over small amounts of cash!

Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The fact that he's a friend makes it particularly difficult seeing he's taking on all the risk. Even small amounts of money can become big barriers between friends. Sad but true.

I'd go it alone if possible. Start off small with your own money and invest your profits back into it until you get decent cash-flow. With the projected profit margin being pretty high, you'll be growing exponentially with every sale.

I could barely start with a couple myself, but sales would drop right after Christmas... and there's only time for shipping once before holidays (3-4 weeks).

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Is there some sort of micro loan scheme you'd be eligible for?

I'm trying to resist the urge to buy one myself...

ipetepete

Colorex, thanks for your help on my thread (CCD issues). Funny that you are thinking about the v929, thats what I was working on for my mini FPV platform. Its a great little quad.

As far as your idea goes. I'll stand behind what everyone has said. Its a great I dea and deserves to be seen through. How much money do you need?

Here are my thoughts:

I would be willing to contribute, a small donation via Paypal. Perhaps others here would as well?

Another option would be a site like http://www.kiva.org/start, they do micro loans, and there are several other sites of a similar nature. The drawback might be the turn around, since you are trying to cash in on the holiday shoppers, it may not be the best option.

Tritium

I tried some more testing with a keychain camera attached. The V929 will carry it no problem BUT the cam changes the CG upward too much so it doesn't excel at acrobatics with the cam attached like it does without it! I am still trying different camera positions. I will try an under slung camera mount next.

Andre, I don't think these quads will be a holiday ONLY item. At least get a few and get them in circulation so you will be known as the "local" supplier. I think they will catch on rapidly to those who can afford such items.

Thurmond