wohoo! work on laws is on its way!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds like commercial drones will be regulated to network monitored flights for coordination and that means more then likely all hobby level drones will be regulated to some sort of geofencing tech or network connected as well to guarantee they wont interfere with commercial drones. They will further restrict hobbyists in favor of commercial as we can not afford to fight the legal battles to get us more places to fly safely not less.

You can pretty much guarantee forced registration, licensing and yet another government mandated insurance for every drone to cover all the expenses for the big corps who want to use drone tech very shortly.

Crazy Goats

Sounds like commercial drones will be regulated to network monitored flights for coordination and that means more then likely all hobby level drones will be regulated to some sort of geofencing tech or network connected as well to guarantee they wont interfere with commercial drones. They will further restrict hobbyists in favor of commercial as we can not afford to fight the legal battles to get us more places to fly safely not less.

You can pretty much guarantee forced registration, licensing and yet another government mandated insurance for every drone to cover all the expenses for the big corps who want to use drone tech very shortly.

Yippee.:rolleyes: sounds like fun.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning

Or maybe not. Hobbyists developed the tech to start with. Elect a (self-called) billionaire and keep putting morons into congress, and you can pretty much assume sillyness will ensue.

Mike

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Or maybe not. Hobbyists developed the tech to start with. Elect a (self-called) billionaire and keep putting morons into congress, and you can pretty much assume sillyness will ensue.

Mike

Its all about the money mate. The terrorist possibilities for using drones in attacks is for non thinking sheeples to fall in line. This is strictly a money grab. Did the F.A.A. set up designated flying areas with the money from registration? Does anyone even know what it was used for or where it all went? If you watch that video they didn't even buy that new speaker dude a new suit. He is still wearing an off the rack govt square model. It may even be the same suit the guy they put in front of the cameras the first time who let the public know they were getting fleeced wore for his tv appearances.

As for congress.. we don't elect anyone. We just pick between who the people the ones who really run the country want to have in office. Seriously..do you know anyone who would actually want people like Hilary OR Trump in office if they had a different option?

RipAir

i would shoot both of them :D

reg. terrorism ive been laughing my butt loose, about the "solution" they deem enough here:
1 - you may not fly within 150m of airports
2 - thats it... :D

now i dont want to let every noob know, but i guess most of you wouldnt have great difficulty penetrating such a restricted area with a drone, without being persecuted

but thats also a part of the issue in general - allow too much and people start doing stupid stuff (i know, they should be shot too) - allow too little and destroy the fun for every one

and most probably know what people tend to do if you destroy their fun - they demonstrate :p (imagine that with a flock of drones)

i would also be curious about how theyd solve all the areas - do drones get to fly with general aviation, or do they have to fly bellow them (aka transition altitude) - as its mainly the 2nd method that could become troubling to hobbyists

also i wouldnt be too reliant on european laws, since they tend to adapt FAA laws and only make minor adjustments

in the worst case, where theyd destroy every hobbyists pleasure by starting to over regulate, we might also look into how hobbyists could be of use to the monetary interests

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My guess is since drone have already been regulated to under 400 ft that commercial drones will get the top 200 ft or more and hobby flying will be regulated or even mandatory geo fenced to the remaining lower altitude.

For this we have all the clueless morons using DJI phantoms who think the rules of common sense do not apply to them. (Not pointing at the responsible phantom owners btw) and manipulative idiots put in power over us by corporate sponsored elections. (Am I the only one that thinks all politicians should wear the satin jackets with all the logos on it from the corps that sponsor them so we truly know who we are voting for?)

RipAir

i think they should be free from any kind of sponsorship or even religion, first thing i do when i spot a new one, is to check in how many companies he/shes registered in - and one thing is certain, quantity is deff a negative factor AND most importantly, they should only act as a speech channel for a set of people, with the same prerequisites, but that actually understand the material thats being treated (usually those with less sophisticated social skills)

also a possibility would be licenses, similar to all the HAM'ers, hobby pilots etc, every pilot of unmanned crafts would first require to complete a set of courses or even sanity tests :p
and according to the acquired license and equipment, you can gain access to more/less areas
similar to the frequencies the HAM'ers can "upgrade" to, but any one can listen in

after all, if its all for commercial and nothing for private, wed still have the opportunity of commercializing flight clubs to swoop in "under the radar" with theyr "flag" - then its merely up to the clubs, as to whom they admit
"conducting marketing" for the club has "commercial" reasons after all ;) fight the dragon with its own weapons!

Last edited:

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Its all about the money mate. The terrorist possibilities for using drones in attacks is for non thinking sheeples to fall in line. This is strictly a money grab. Did the F.A.A. set up designated flying areas with the money from registration? Does anyone even know what it was used for or where it all went? If you watch that video they didn't even buy that new speaker dude a new suit. He is still wearing an off the rack govt square model. It may even be the same suit the guy they put in front of the cameras the first time who let the public know they were getting fleeced wore for his tv appearances.

As for congress.. we don't elect anyone. We just pick between who the people the ones who really run the country want to have in office. Seriously..do you know anyone who would actually want people like Hilary OR Trump in office if they had a different option?

The FAA had to charge something to fund the website by either law or regulation - I'm not sure which. Would I want the FAA to set up designated areas? No, not really. Did the FAA recently block all commercial package delivery until further discussion can be had? Yes. Did they come up with what I think are reasonable rules for commercial operation of drones? Yes.

Where I live, we elected a moron to congress. He's done nothing for anyone. His first public comment was "when do my benefits start." A GOP teabagger. Blech. Supposedly a man for the people who does nothing and will get the standard retirement package. Yeah, he's not associated with anyone or anything. And he does nothing, either.

So, ultimately, it does seem likely that Amazon et al will deliver via drones of some sort. But I wouldn't expect this any time soon.

Remember the Clipper Chip (A Clinton boondoggle)? - it's possible to win. But, you have to elect people that want to do something, not idiots.

Mike

Darkback2

Good Will Bad Will

So this weekend is our county fair. I volunteered with a couple of technology groups which had displays and demonstrations in robotics and technology. We had a 3d printer going, submersible robots in an above ground pool, and a netted area for flying micro quads.

We also set up some displays, one of which contained an old DJI phantom.

Today around 3PM just as some of the "bigger" bands were hitting the stage, a cop came in and asked the kids who were helping out if they knew where I was.

"Is that your drone out there?" He asked.

Oddly I had to go check our display because for a second I was worried that someone had stolen/taken the phantom and was out flying it around. I work with responsible kids though so no that wasn't the case.

We went outside to see what he was talking about.

Someone was flying a phantom 4 from what I could see. They were flying it like an idiot too...They were doing things like hovering above the audience in front of the stage, and orbiting around the arena where people, mostly 4H kids, were doing demonstrations with horses and other live stock. Then zipping over to the area where the rides were.

The thing was, there was little chance the person was flying line of site even because of the distances between the different places there were going.

Eventually the quad flew away out of the fair ground.

So here is the hard part. No matter how much goodwill I work to share with the community, all it takes is one incident to screw it up. The simple fact that the officer came looking for me first, says a lot. There were also county and state politicians at the fair...When they decide on legislation/regulations about where you can fly and what you can fly, which person are they going to think about? The robotics teacher who was sharing his passion for robotics and quadcopters in the "tech barn"? or the a$$Hole with the phantom hovering over a crowd in front of the stage.

:-(

DB

RipAir

so true, would have to be able to reach and educate those people much better

but then again, comparing it to smoking - where i (and many others) always cleanly dispose the buds or even put them back in the packet, to dispose later - yet theres always some turds, that think every one else is only alive to clean up after them and accordingly make life harder on every one else

so stuff like geo fencing, interference beacons or even eagles come into discussion

ps: another pillar of stupidity i was once able to see during a holiday, where this guy was standing in breast deep salt water (with plenty of waves), handling a drill plugged into a 220V mains cord - how dumb do you have to be? :D

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
ps: another pillar of stupidity i was once able to see during a holiday, where this guy was standing in breast deep salt water (with plenty of waves), handling a drill plugged into a 220V mains cord - how dumb do you have to be? :D

I soooo love Darwinism. Specially if its evolution is caught on film or video.