Help! Wondering about binding an old(ish) transmitter with FrSky receiver

NealisNeal

Hello Everyone!
I am returning the world of RC airplanes (I was very into it but have fallen out the past couple of years), and I was wondering if I was able to bind a quadcopter's FrSky D8 - SPI BUS receiver to a Spektrum DX7s transmitter. Thanks for any input (Go easy on me I am new to the modern world of RC =P).

Thanks, Neal
o7

NealisNeal

No 2 totally different protocols.
Alright, I have a new question if you could help; Would I be able to get a spectrum brand receiver and use that one instead of the one that is on it? If this is true I am pretty sure I would have to modify the the channels and such using betaflight.

This is an example of one I would be thinking of:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/SPM465...MIgYnUtea-6AIVFtJkCh0vhAVeEAQYASABEgLnrPD_BwE

Btw I am planning on putting it on a eachine novice II drone.
https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-No...s-p-1581309.html?ID=6275693&cur_warehouse=USA

NealisNeal

From what I can tell both of the receivers are compatible types. (The Spektrum receiver says serial and the frsky one is sbus)

FDS

Elite member
If you want a cheap DSMX quad receiver the lemon RX or Orange RX (Hobbyking) satellites are the traditional choice. The Spektrum quad receiver also works but is expensive.
You simply change the receiver type to Speksat in Betaflight. Pre bind the receiver before wiring. LeDrib has a how to on the newer type and the satellites. There’s videos on how to bind the satellites to the TX as well.
Now that’s how you do it with bigger quads, let’s look at the Novice 2.
YOU CANNOT use a SATELLITE type with that. The reason being that one is an inbuilt SPI receiver, mounted to the board. The board does have pads to solder an external receiver, however the satellites need 3.3v which that board does not do.
However your Horizon Hobby micro receiver WILL work, you need to solder the wiring tails it to the board, they are very tiny pads and you need to be sure you go to the right UART and set it all up in Betaflight so it ignores the fixed receiver and uses your new one instead.
The easiest version of this story is to either ditch Spektrum for quad stuff, since it isn’t compatible with Crossfire and has less channels etc than something like an X9 lite or other OpenTX transmitter or to change your quad choice.
Theres lots of similar small, easy to fly quads available with onboard DSMX receivers, all ready to go. The goggles in that deal are pretty cheap, a set of EV800’s is not much more. The Tiny Hawk Freestyle is pretty close to the novice, check your favourite reviewers on YT and see what other ones are available.
There doesn’t seem to be a BNF version of the Novice 2. I would also advise buying your first quad from a decent FPV retailer based in your country, like FPV.com, Race Day Quads or similar, since you then get actual technical help and customer service.

NealisNeal

If you want a cheap DSMX quad receiver the lemon RX or Orange RX (Hobbyking) satellites are the traditional choice. The Spektrum quad receiver also works but is expensive.
You simply change the receiver type to Speksat in Betaflight. Pre bind the receiver before wiring. LeDrib has a how to on the newer type and the satellites. There’s videos on how to bind the satellites to the TX as well.
Now that’s how you do it with bigger quads, let’s look at the Novice 2.
YOU CANNOT use a SATELLITE type with that. The reason being that one is an inbuilt SPI receiver, mounted to the board. The board does have pads to solder an external receiver, however the satellites need 3.3v which that board does not do.
However your Horizon Hobby micro receiver WILL work, you need to solder the wiring tails it to the board, they are very tiny pads and you need to be sure you go to the right UART and set it all up in Betaflight so it ignores the fixed receiver and uses your new one instead.
The easiest version of this story is to either ditch Spektrum for quad stuff, since it isn’t compatible with Crossfire and has less channels etc than something like an X9 lite or other OpenTX transmitter or to change your quad choice.
Theres lots of similar small, easy to fly quads available with onboard DSMX receivers, all ready to go. The goggles in that deal are pretty cheap, a set of EV800’s is not much more. The Tiny Hawk Freestyle is pretty close to the novice, check your favourite reviewers on YT and see what other ones are available.
There doesn’t seem to be a BNF version of the Novice 2. I would also advise buying your first quad from a decent FPV retailer based in your country, like FPV.com, Race Day Quads or similar, since you then get actual technical help and customer service.

Thanks man thats very helpful! I appreciate it!

Reactions: FDS